Purchase Full Version

wally3218

n3wb
Reaction score
I looking at buying the full version of Blue Iris, whats the best way to buy and where from.
Is there any discounts or codes to use during the purchase.

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
Check ebay too, bought 2 copies there for 40 dollars each.

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Blue Iris package and it won't be here for 7 to 10 days. I would like to read up on the software while I am waiting. Is there somewhere I can download the user manual?

TIA
Jim

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought the Blue Iris package and it won't be here for 7 to 10 days. I would like to read up on the software while I am waiting. Is there somewhere I can download the user manual?

TIA
Jim
Install the evaluation version, all the docs are under the "I" icon at the top of the screen.

C

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Evaluation version = Demo version.... good for 15 days to test for free. Do a google search for Blue Iris software... you'll find it. Buy or test for 15 days.

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Evaluation version = Demo version.... good for 15 days to test for free. Do a google search for Blue Iris software... you'll find it. Buy or test for 15 days.
Found it. I have it installed and up and running. Thanks a bunch!!!

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
I have read a lot of the help files but I haven't yet come across on how to set the detection area that it should alarm. Is there an easy way to do this?

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I have read a lot of the help files but I haven't yet come across on how to set the detection area that it should alarm. Is there an easy way to do this?
Take a look through the forums, do a search for that particular issue. There is lots of great information here and on other sites regarding BI and most of the stumbling blocks we have encountered for various configurations and desired operation.

I found all my answers on the forums. Six or so months ago I assembled a system with 11 mostly different HD IP cameras and two separate BI installations that pull from those cameras. Motion detection, hot spots, masked areas, trigger and release times, motion size and sensitivity, I'll leave that to the posts from others I have read.

C

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
by default blue iris looks at the entire image...you can then select areas to block out, its in the motion tab under mask.

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My understanding is that Blue Iris uses the whole camera image to detect motion but you can mask off areas to be ignored. This is the opposite of how detection works in some camera interfaces (eg. Foscam) where you set a detection area.

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I was able to mask off areas that I didn't want to detect motion, such as ceiling fan, etc. What I did notice is that the camera will not detect motion with the IR lights on at night. It did while running Foscam Client but not with Blue Iris. I guess I'll have to investigate more since I am still new to this. BTW, I have the Foscam FI9831W. I like it so far but have only had it a couple weeks.

srglassw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
... What I did notice is that the camera will not detect motion with the IR lights on at night. It did while running Foscam Client but not with Blue Iris.
Hmm, that's strange. Blue Iris detects motion on all my Foscams with the IR lights on at night. I even pickup motion in my neighbor's driveway 100 feet or more from the camera at night. I have motion detection sensitivity size and contrast set about 25% of the scale from the left edge.

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
I found for some reason when I go to the web server tab in Blue Iris 3 that it won't let me change the external IP address. Any ideas as to why? I have admisitrator rights.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey, You cannot change your external ip. The ip address is set by your internet service provider..tell us what you are trying to do so we can help you.

JamesT1950

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey, You cannot change your external ip. The ip address is set by your internet service provider..tell us what you are trying to do so we can help you.
I am trying to figure out where to enter the IP address that I can use to access my camera from the internet. I know the address and the port to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
First you need to properly port forward blue iris webserver port. In your case it looks like you set the webserver to port 81. In your router settings set up port forwarding and forward port 81 to the internal ip address of your blue iris machine ...that would be the lan ip address listed in the webserver page (omit the :81 port number)...Also make sure to set the internal/lan ip address of the blue iris computer to static/dhcp reservation so that ip address never changes. Now you can enter the external ip address http://104.6.212.173:81/ from any browser and you can connect. Here is the rub, you external ip address changes...so you need to use a dynamic dns services that checks and constantly updates itself...you can use no-ip.com as well as lots of others...you will get a host name like jamesNVR.zapto.org or whatever you choose...then once you set it all up all you enter is jamesNVR.zapto.org:81 (dont forget the port number) and it will always redirect to the correct address because its constantly checking (most routers support this function and if not you can download a pc application that runs in the background on your blue iris machine)..

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I actually had the same problem and gave up...

If if you do have another domain name or your using one of the dns services, you can not change the "external ip address" - unless I am missing something?