Qsee NVR will not Motion Detect Record

newfido

n3wb
Reaction score
i have the qc894 nvr and attached a qsee qtn 802b camera, but only manual record will work. motion record will not work with all correct settings set. qsee support does not understand why and said instead of qsee solving the problem that i should splurge and install a large hard drive into the nvr to record more than 2 weeks time. As on constant record that is how long a 1 terabytte drive lasts.

I have a Nightowl system that uses motion detection perfectly, so i do know how to use the motion settings.

I asked qsee if the qtn camera i installed is incompatible with the motion detection nvr qtc 894, but really if the camera can record video onto the NVR then would the NVR not be able to detect motion from the camera? As the motion detection is done in the NVR and the video is reaching the NVR.

Qsee wants another 200.00 for a compatible camera and i am not sure and qsee is not sure that will fix the problem. My advice to all is avoid qsee products, go with Nightowl or better recomendations.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have the qc894 nvr and attached a qsee qtn 802b camera, but only manual record will work. motion record will not work with all correct settings set. qsee support does not understand why and said instead of qsee solving the problem that i should splurge and install a large hard drive into the nvr to record more than 2 weeks time. As on constant record that is how long a 1 terabytte drive lasts.

I have a Nightowl system that uses motion detection perfectly, so i do know how to use the motion settings.

I asked qsee if the qtn camera i installed is incompatible with the motion detection nvr qtc 894, but really if the camera can record video onto the NVR then would the NVR not be able to detect motion from the camera? As the motion detection is done in the NVR and the video is reaching the NVR.

Qsee wants another 200.00 for a compatible camera and i am not sure and qsee is not sure that will fix the problem. My advice to all is avoid qsee products, go with Nightowl or better recomendations.
HI and welcome @newfido

I managed to find a link to the NVR when I did a search, however not the camera.

Please provide a link to the NVR and Camera in addition to pictures and any additional information to help us ID what you're using. Without that information will be more challenging to know what you have.

newfido

n3wb
Reaction score
HI and welcome @newfido

I managed to find a link to the NVR when I did a search, however not the camera.

Please provide a link to the NVR and Camera in addition to pictures and any additional information to help us ID what you're using. Without that information will be more challenging to know what you have.
The camera is a Q-See 1080p HD IP Security Surveillance Camera (QTN8031B) - White | Best Buy Canada
QTN8031B

The NVR is QC NVR Manual - Q-Plus Support Portal

They connect via an ethernet cable.

The NVR is recording when set to constant but does not record if set to motion detect. I have done all the settings for motion with qsee suport and it would not work. SO the Tricky question is how is is possible that a nvr can not record motion from the camera? Qsee now support is grasping at straws to say that i need a new camera but obviously they are not offering any explanations as to how the camera can be the problem.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The camera is a Q-See 1080p HD IP Security Surveillance Camera (QTN8031B) - White | Best Buy Canada
QTN8031B

The NVR is QC NVR Manual - Q-Plus Support Portal

They connect via an ethernet cable.

The NVR is recording when set to constant but does not record if set to motion detect. I have done all the settings for motion with qsee suport and it would not work. SO the Tricky question is how is is possible that a nvr can not record motion from the camera? Qsee now support is grasping at straws to say that i need a new camera but obviously they are not offering any explanations as to how the camera can be the problem.
HI @newfido

Thanks

Do you recall Chevy selling cars in the USA which were made in Korea? .. and when you wanted to work on them your standard US tool set which was in inch measurements would not work because the car used metric parts?

Or have you ever had 2 friends whose native languages were different and they could only communicate partially with each other in their 2nd / 3rd language?

Well - you have a situation like that.

You have what appears to be a Dahua OEM NVR and another OEM's cameras. They do not have the same "native" language - and thus have limited ability to communicate with each other. This is why you're having a challenge with the motion detection.

So now it's up to you to decide if you want to upgrade parts / pieces to get the functionality you want.

newfido

n3wb
Reaction score
HI @newfido

Thanks

Do you recall Chevy selling cars in the USA which were made in Korea? .. and when you wanted to work on them your standard US tool set which was in inch measurements would not work because the car used metric parts?

Or have you ever had 2 friends whose native languages were different and they could only communicate partially with each other in their 2nd / 3rd language?

Well - you have a situation like that.

You have what appears to be a Dahua OEM NVR and another OEM's cameras. They do not have the same "native" language - and thus have limited ability to communicate with each other. This is why you're having a challenge with the motion detection.

So now it's up to you to decide if you want to upgrade parts / pieces to get the functionality you want.

Well usually a NVR compares 2 frames from the camera and then detects motion, all done within the NVR after the video is received. But you do seem to be sure that this NVR needs to ask the camera twice!. I will upgrade someday but not until i find a local store with the camera to test that theory. I have my hopes on finding a used compatible camera on ebay *)(* !

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well usually a NVR compares 2 frames from the camera and then detects motion, all done within the NVR after the video is received. But you do seem to be sure that this NVR needs to ask the camera twice!. I will upgrade someday but not until i find a local store with the camera to test that theory. I have my hopes on finding a used compatible camera on ebay *)(* !
Hi @newfido

I have not stated anything about frames, nor comparing frames - so I am uncertain how to respond to
"But you do seem to be sure that this NVR needs to ask the camera twice!"

SO, here is the thing:
Each vendor will have a NVR to camera compatibility list. You've basically assembled a system / kit with a NVR and cameras which are not fully compatible with each other.

Do take some time to learn more about security cameras by checking out the cliff notes we've put together.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well usually a NVR compares 2 frames from the camera and then detects motion, all done within the NVR after the video is received.
Actually - usually on an IP camera, the camera detects the motion or other event, and provides an event notification to the NVR which then takes whatever action that has been configured for that event, such as recording a video clip.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVR is recording when set to constant but does not record if set to motion detect. I have done all the settings for motion with qsee suport and it would not work. SO the Tricky question is how is is possible that a nvr can not record motion from the camera?
If the camera has not been configured to generate motion events - the NVR will not record on motion.
No motion events from the camera - no video clip recorded on the NVR.

What motion detection settings have you configured in the camera?
Provide a screenshot for feedback and comment.

newfido

n3wb
Reaction score
If the camera has not been configured to generate motion events - the NVR will not record on motion.
No motion events from the camera - no video clip recorded on the NVR.

What motion detection settings have you configured in the camera?
Provide a screenshot for feedback and comment.

On my Nightowl System, when i tell the NVR to record motion it does so without me making any further settings to the camera.
On the Qsee System, i tell the NVR to record motion and set the shcedule of every day and every hour. It does not record motion and there is no setting than can be made to the Camera itself using the supplied qsee software. only adjustable setting is to change the ip of the camera.
But you do give me the idea that maby there is a qsee program that could adjust motion recording in the camera because a long time ago i had seen some pc software from qsee that could be used to set recording schedules etc. when using a laptop as the recording device.
I will not be able to check that out in a Jiffy, so enough time spent on this.
Case Solved.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On my Nightowl System, when i tell the NVR to record motion it does so without me making any further settings to the camera.
On the Qsee System, i tell the NVR to record motion and set the shcedule of every day and every hour. It does not record motion and there is no setting than can be made to the Camera itself using the supplied qsee software. only adjustable setting is to change the ip of the camera....
Hi @newfido

Did you buy your NightOwl as a complete kit?
Clearly the NightOwl cameras are compatible with the NightOwl NVR.

With the Qsee models you've noted, they are not compatible and appears that you sourced them separately.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
As does a Hikvision NVR, because the NVR for the user convenience is providing a 'proxied' interface to the camera, taking the settings and applying them to the camera using the Hikvision 'command and control' protocol.
The NVR doesn't provide access to the entire set of configuration options in the camera, just the most common and useful ones.
The fact that this NVR configuration enables motion detection and recording does not necessarily mean that the NVR is doing the actual motion detection.

If the camera motion detection is configured directly in the camera web GUI, the Hikvision NVR first interrogates the camera for those existing settings before presenting them as the as-is state to potentially be modified via the NVR 'proxied' interface.

On the Qsee System, i tell the NVR to record motion and set the shcedule of every day and every hour. It does not record motion and there is no setting than can be made to the Camera itself using the supplied qsee software. only adjustable setting is to change the ip of the camera.
I'm speculating - but maybe the Qsee system doesn't have the command of the target camera like the Hikvision NVR does, so you need to do that directly on the camera.

It does not record motion and there is no setting than can be made to the Camera itself using the supplied qsee software. only adjustable setting is to change the ip of the camera.
Doesn't the Qsee camera have a web GUI where all configuration items can be set as required?
It's pretty standard on many, though not all, IP cameras.

there is no setting than can be made to the Camera itself using the supplied qsee software. only adjustable setting is to change the ip of the camera.
That sounds more like it's an 'IP search' utility than a configuration utility.
All a search facility needs to do as a minimum is find the camera, allow the IP address to be set as required for the local network, then the user can access the web GUI to do the rest.