Questions about day/night brightness management (profile)

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello

I have 7 cameras Dahua IPC-HDW4631C.

They are located near the roof, POE fed.

4 are connected to my Dahua NVR. It is 8 channels with 4 POE ports (model: DHI-NVR4108-P-4KS2).

I also have a Dahua POE switch, where the 3 remaining are connected.

Everything is working (mostly) fine ; NVR records ; I receive snapshots for motion detection ; I have app to view records ; etc.

I have few problems of lesser importance and maybe some experienced or curious people can help me with those:

1/ Day/night:
During day time, cameras image is perfect, but during night, maybe because they are far from the ground, it is mostly deep black.
I need to connect to camera (NVR doesn't have enough options)
I can fix that a bit with playing with settings (brightness, contrast, etc).
But these settings will make an image far too bright during the day.

I would like to have these settings applied only during night, when darkness falls below a certain level. Actually, it could very well be when camera automatically switches from day to night mode (IR turns on).
Ideally, the settings could move progressively ; that would be perfect.

At the moment, what I have done is setting a profile (in "profile management") and I can set a schedule when it switches from day mode to night mode. The time of switch is fixed, and applies exactly every day (currently 7am and 10pm). This is far from ideal because during winter or summer it is not the same, and at the exact time of switch, before and after, image is not ideal.

2/ Motion detection:
I receive far too many snapshots. E.g. it can be insects, shadow of the trees if there is wind, etc.
I have tried playing with sensitivity and aperture settings, but things don't really improve.

Anyway, I have read somewhere motion detection was outdated and now we should use IVS.

I understand IVS cannot really be set up from NVR but needs to connect to camera directly.
Fine.

Connecting to camera, I can enable IVS, tripwire, activate, emails settings.
But I have never received any snapshot...
Any help welcome.

3/ Connecting to cameras:

Here is my network.

I don't manage to connect to cameras in NVR subnet.

In NVR menu, there is an IE link, but it just opens an IE page with the addreess, which of course doesn't help.

If I connect (old) 10.1.1.65 to POE switch, it keeps its address in 10.1.1.x !

I know I just have to connect it to a computer, but the thing is there is no power supply on these cameras, other than POE (and since they are on the roof, it is not accessible).
What if I connect target camera on POE switch, connect computer to uplink on POE switch, and POE switch not being connected to the internet anymore ?
Briefly, how to connect to these cameras currently on NVR ?

Thank you

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
3. Assuming windows OS, try to add a static route then click the IE link to the camera. try the below (second line), assuming the NVR camera interface is on 10.1.1.1/24

route ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask gateway_ip metric_cost

route ADD 10.1.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I have 7 cameras Dahua IPC-HDW4631C.

I understand IVS cannot really be set up from NVR but needs to connect to camera directly.
Fine.

Connecting to camera, I can enable IVS, tripwire, activate, emails settings.
But I have never received any snapshot...
Any help welcome.
Hi @Gleneroo

I have 7 cameras Dahua IPC-HDW4631C..
and .. "I want to setup IVS"

As those are Chinese market cameras, you will need to confirm that they have the IVS functionality. Many more affordable models have less processing power and ram and thus are unable to perform more advanced calculations which are needed for IVS within the cameras.

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
3. Assuming windows OS, try to add a static route then click the IE link to the camera. try the below (second line), assuming the NVR camera interface is on 10.1.1.1/24

route ADD destination_network MASK subnet_mask gateway_ip metric_cost

route ADD 10.1.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.1.1.1
Hello

Thank you for your answer. I tried that, but unfortunately it doesn't work.
I did try connection from IE link to the camera in NVR page.

I searched for answers and after deleting this route, I tried (a bit randomly) some others, but it didn'y work as well.

If it helps to support me, here is the switch page from my NVR (all defaults settings):

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi @Gleneroo

I have 7 cameras Dahua IPC-HDW4631C..
and .. "I want to setup IVS"

As those are Chinese market cameras, you will need to confirm that they have the IVS functionality. Many more affordable models have less processing power and ram and thus are unable to perform more advanced calculations which are needed for IVS within the cameras.
Hello mat200

Yes they are advertised as having IVS and have the setting screens.

(This is just an example)

And email is configured and tested in 'network part', storage full time, etc

Thank you

Last edited:

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gleneroo,

If you move all your cameras to a POE switch and have a PC on 24/7, you could try bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset

Assuming your NVR and a PC are attached to your LAN, try using IE Web UI to access your NVR POE cameras by using these URLs:
http://"IP-of-NVR":10080, http://"IP-of-NVR":10081, http://"IP-of-NVR":10082, etc....

Or, attach a computer to a NVR POE port and you can access the cameras still attached to the NVR by using the computer IE Web UI with camera IP address.

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you move all your cameras to a POE switch and have a PC on 24/7, you could try bp2008/DahuaSunriseSunset
Thanks a lot. I also found the thread on this forum about the creation of this tool. Unfortunately, I don't have a PC on 24/7.
Though this thread I learnt that what I was looking for doesn't exist and I am not the only one who would have needed it (thus the creation of this tool).
If I can at least connect to the cameras on NVR, I can put day/night switch according to a schedule which is not perfect, but better than nothing.

Assuming your NVR and a PC are attached to your LAN, try using IE Web UI to access your NVR POE cameras by using these URLs:
http://"IP-of-NVR":10080, http://"IP-of-NVR":10081, http://"IP-of-NVR":10082, etc....
Unfortunately this http://192.168.1.30:10080/ doesn't work (also 81/82...).

I didn't try direct connection with a laptop yet (I would try that this week end).
I would really have preferred ability to connect without having to physically carry a laptop, unplug one, replug, etc

Although this was unsuccessful, I really appreciate the support. Thank you

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Would you still like to auto switch the day and night profiles, controlled by the camera light sensor? If so, reply and I'll post another method using URLs.

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Would you still like to auto switch the day and night profiles, controlled by the camera light sensor? If so, reply and I'll post another method using URLs.
Yes I would like to auto switch day/night profiles at the same time camera switches from color to B&W.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Auto change Day/Night Profiles when the camera changes the IR/night vision on or off.

This uses the Amcrest(Dahua) API. I did not develop this but have used it. In a browser, use this URL with your camera IP address in it. That's it.
http://192.168.1.101/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.SwitchMode=1&VideoInOptions[0].NightOptions.Profile=3
If you ever change any settings in the Profiles and Save using the Web UI, that will disable it and you have to use the URL again.
Let me know if it works for you.

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you. I tried this, it asked my camera credentials, then returned "OK". I will tell you tomorrow if it worked but I have a good feeling.

EDIT: First morning, it worked pecfectly.

Last edited:

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After several sunrise and sunset, I confirm it works perfectly ! Many thanks ! Problem 1 solved !

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When you see the cameras on the Registration page of the NVR, do you see Ports like 1.2.3 or do you see 37777?

Ive found I have to boot the NVR with the cameras attached and allow it to find them by itself with PoE NVR's. Then it assigns the Port 1,2 etc an the IE icons will open the web page of that camera. If it says 37777 it wont

POE-NVR-AccessCameras.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
When remote, I use a VPN on the Asus router thats in front of the NVR. Can't hit the internal PoE assigned addresses from an external IP

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When you see the cameras on the Registration page of the NVR, do you see Ports like 1.2.3 or do you see 37777?

Ive found I have to boot the NVR with the cameras attached and allow it to find them by itself with PoE NVR's. Then it assigns the Port 1,2 etc an the IE icons will open the web page of that camera. If it says 37777 it wont

View attachment 45292
My ports are 37777.

I don't understand. I have rebooted many times my NVR with always cameras attached and it stayed at port 3777.
Should I remove the cameras from registration part (not physically) and reboot ? Will that reallocate ports to 1/2/3/4?

Screenshot_2019-07-28-01-57-43-998_org.mozilla.firefox.png

Gleneroo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It does on my two 4208-8P-4KS2's
OK so I need to unplug cameras, turn off NVR, restart NVR, replug cameras.
In this case, will the cameras keep their settings after ports reallocation?
In case of a power outage, power coming back with cameras attached, will ports stay 1/2/3/4 ?