R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

Reaction score
Hello
I tried the brickfixV2EN but stopped at one step before i see -System update completed- so i used the brickfixV2CN and i saw -System update completed-
I am ready for the next steps
Please give me your help
George

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm away at the moment, and not sure if the devType is different for that model variant.
Maybe someone who also has that model could say what the prtHardInfo shows.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You only need to know the devType if its been masqueraded - of the value is FF98
If there is no FF it's already ok.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the brickfixV2EN but stopped at one step before i see -System update completed- so i used the brickfixV2CN and i saw -System update completed-
I am ready for the next steps
@starsat2000 - I checked and the devType for your DS-2CD2132F-IWS will be 0x981E in hex from the 38942 value in prtHardInfo
So put the value 1E in hex location 64, there should already be 98 in hex location 65
2.At your video at time 7.56 i see you change the value 02 to 01, also for my camera i must make this change?
Yes, this will change the language of the camera from Chinese to English.
3.The two version that i made download is it OK for my camera or i must download this from EN Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd. Baseline Firmware_IPC_ML_V5.4.5 170123 (2XX2)?
That firmware should be OK - however the 5.4.5 EN/ML version that's been used a lot is from here : DOWNLOAD PORTAL

You are good to go - just follow the steps in the step-by-step guide, and the YouTube video.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks Alastair for you fantastic work on this. I bought two DS-2CD2032-I a few years ago from Aliexpress not knowing there was difference between CN and international versions and the problems with upgrading firmware. When I found out I decided not to upgrade my cameras but I recently found out about this guide and today I upgraded my cameras from 5.2.0 -> 5.3.0 -> 5.40 -> 5.4.5 and it worked like a charm (the last two upgrades done from within the camera configuration gui/web). Firmwares from the EU portal (I'm in Sweden).

The only thing I'm concerned about is not being able to get the Hikvision TFTP updater tool from Hikvision (i.e. a known source) but I understand that is due to Hikvision removing it from their download site.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded my cameras from 5.2.0 -> 5.3.0 -> 5.40 -> 5.4.5 and it worked like a charm
Well done!
The only thing I'm concerned about is not being able to get the Hikvision TFTP updater tool from Hikvision (i.e. a known source) but I understand that is due to Hikvision removing it from their download site.
Yes, they did this quite some time ago, I'm not sure exactly why though.
I'd guess it was some misguided idea of making it more difficult for people to do firmware updates in a way where there is a bit less validation than in the web GUI.
But when it's out there - it's out there! Quite a few 3rd-party download links, including this forum.

dolitsky

n3wb
Reaction score
I posted in the wrong thread so please forgive the dbl post!

Before I fix my cam I wanted to make sure I'm good to go and make sure I'm on the right track. I have a working DS-2CD2732F-IS, Chinese version the email no longer works but other than that it works as it is supposed to. It is stock firmware v5.1.0 build 131202 with a devType =38926.

# prtHardInfo
Start at 2017-07-23 18:23:11
Serial NO :DS-2CD2732F-IS20140426CCCH462100013
V5.1.0 build 131202
hardwareVersion = 0x0
hardWareExtVersion = 0x0
encodeChans = 1
decodeChans = 1
alarmInNums = 1
alarmOutNums = 1
ataCtrlNums = 0
flashChipNums = 0
ramSize = 0x4000000
networksNums = 1
language = 2
devType = 38926
SD status = -1 (0:noraml;none-0:timeout)

According to the mtd hack txt file my cam should have a devtype of... 0E98 (model DS-2CD2732F-IS)

I was able to extract mtdblock6 and in HxD editor it appears that all I need to change is 0x10 to a value of 01.
The devtype and checksum already look correct.

CheckSum HIGHLIGHTED.jpg

My questions are this...

1-My camera is not bricked and has a static ip... 192.168.1.xx, with a port of 8400. Can I use the current ip instead of 192.0.0.64?
2- Can I leave cam on my existing LAN or put it on a separate switch w pc.
3- will cam maintain configuration I have it set with? Can I restore a config backup or will I have to manually setup cam again?
4- After brickfixv2EN.dav is processed what FW version will my cam be on?
5- what FW do you recommend I take the cam up to?
6- is the HikVision European web site a valid site to grab firmware for a cam being used in USA

I would have been happy to leave it at FW v5.1.0, but email no longer worked after port 25 was compromised and yahoo, gmx and gmail stiffened things up.

Last edited:

hikcamuser

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting an error when I try to make a change to the "Camera Name" in the "Configuration->Image->OSD Settings" screen. When I click "Save", I get a box at the bottom right of the screen saying "Parameter Error". This happens no matter the value that I try to use in "Camera Name". I've tried this on all 3 cameras that I upgraded using Alastair's method and all fail with the same error.

I do have a 4th camera, but this one is new and it already had the latest firmware/software loaded, so I did not need to execute the special procedure described in this thread. I have no trouble changing the camera name in this camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I am getting an error when I try to make a change to the "Camera Name" in the "Configuration->Image->OSD Settings" screen. When I click "Save", I get a box at the bottom right of the screen saying "Parameter Error". This happens no matter the value that I try to use in "Camera Name". I've tried this on all 3 cameras that I upgraded using Alastair's method and all fail with the same error.
This could be a web GUI cache problem - or maybe an inconsistency in the configuration file.
Suggestion:
Clear the browser cache, or try another PC.
If that doesn't work, use 'reset to defaults' in the Maintenance menu, which will write a new configuration file, then activate the camera and re-configure.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Can I downgrade v5.4.5 to v5.3.0 withthe same method?
I haven't tried that - but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
The brickfixV2 tool removes the downgrade block, which is presumably stopping you downgrading at the moment.
Then you'd go through the /dav/fixup.sh stages, making no changes to the mtd6ro_mod file, and use the 5,3,0 digicap.dav file as the upgrade in stage 3.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a chinese 2532, current FW 5.2.5 with English, brickfixv2EN gave error ( no completed messages ) but brickfixv2CN worked fine, succesfully done.
Next step after the /dav/fixup.sh command
Checking that tftp works OK ...
[ INFO][MIN]TFTP:
tftp test transfer worked OK.
[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: tftp: server error: (1) File not found
*** error transferring mtd6ro_mod via tftp from the PC. ****

So do i have to downgrade from 5.2.5 to 5.2.0 first? it seems like the MT file cannot extracted from the camera.
howver the camera is active in sadp. with 0.64 ..

ps/ with putty i can connect by chosing TELNET as connection.. when chosing ssh ( like in the vid ) i am getting nothing besides a network error., connection refused error, after a short black screen

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
[ INFO][MIN]TFTP: tftp: server error: (1) File not found
*** error transferring mtd6ro_mod via tftp from the PC. ****
That sounds like maybe you did not create the mtd6ro_mod file for the fixup script to copy back in.
The fixup script outputs the original file called mtd6ro_orig
You make a copy of it, and name it as mtd6ro_mod and then make the needed 'enhanced mtd hack' changes to it.
Then in Stage 2, the fixup script imports the modified file and applies it.
But the script is complaining that it does not exist.
it seems like the MT file cannot extracted from the camera.
Check in the folder that the tftp server is running from - you should find the file named mtd6ro_orig that has been extracted so that you can copy it and modify the copy.

So do i have to downgrade from 5.2.5 to 5.2.0 first? it seems like the MT file cannot extracted from the camera.
howver the camera is active in sadp. with 0.64 ..
No, the brickfixV2 tool does not care what the original firmware version is.
when chosing ssh ( like in the vid ) i am getting nothing besides a network error., connection refused error, after a short black screen
There is no SSH server in the min-system recovery mode, you need to use telnet.
There is no problem using telnet.

mosjka1

n3wb
Reaction score
The brickfixV2 tool removes the downgrade block, which is presumably stopping you downgrading at the moment.
Then you'd go through the /dav/fixup.sh stages, making no changes to the mtd6ro_mod file, and use the 5,3,0 digicap.dav file as the upgrade in stage 3.
Thanks! I will test it.

mosjka1

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! I will test it.

EDIT: It works!!! I have downgraded my both cams to V5.3.0 :)

Last edited:

ghintx

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone explored installing the temporary "brickfix" firmware using the web API?

I think it could be done but I don't have a bricked camera (and I don't want to create one by testing this :) ) but it seems like you could do:

curl -T brickfixv2EN.dav http://admin:password@ip_of_your_cam/System/firmwareUpgrade
I had another Chinese 2332 sitting in a box so I decided to give this a try. I set it up like normal (it was running 5.2.0 as you might expect) and then I used the above command to flash the brickfix2EN.dav onto it. According to SADP it booted up with the min-system in place. I will have to play with it more later but I suspect this is one way to take an otherwise working camera (including one that has been upgraded with an English firmware) and start the brickfix process with it in order to make it multi-lingual.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect this is one way to take an otherwise working camera (including one that has been upgraded with an English firmware) and start the brickfix process with it in order to make it multi-lingual.
I suspect that you are correct!
As long as the brickfixV2 firmware can be installed, by whatever method, that will start the process.
But do remember to check the 'prtHardInfo' devType value just in case you have a model not covered by the sample table of values.