R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I think I have a copy of the original mtd6ro_orig from my DS-2CD2532F-IWS if it helps.
That's very helpful, thanks, and the right model.
I don't suppose you can confirm what the devType is, the 2 bytes at hex location 64?

@gravykid - do you need to pick up on this offer?

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score
Last edited:

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score

gravykid

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I'll use your MTD @medtech1 as, while I can get connected to my camera, something is just not right. Is it important to change the serial number so it matches up?

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe I'll use your MTD @medtech1 as, while I can get connected to my camera, something is just not right. Is it important to change the serial number so it matches up?
Alastairstevenson can confirm but I didn't think the mtd6ro file changes serial number?

gravykid, is your camera sourced from China (ie: with CCCH in the serial number)? I wonder if it did change the serial, if it would even matter.

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastairstevenson can confirm but I didn't think the mtd6ro file changes serial number?

gravykid, is your camera sourced from China (ie: with CCCH in the serial number)? I wonder if it did change the serial, if it would even matter.

Update! Sorry, I just noticed the serial of that camera I have is "518701055" so that does show up in that mtd6ro file. Lets see what Alastairstevenson says?

The serial ni the mtd6ro file appears to be made from the manufacturer date plus serial number?

Serial No in Hex Editor - mtd6ro_orig

Serial & manufacturer date on label

Last edited:

gravykid

n3wb
Reaction score
Update! Sorry, I just noticed the serial of that camera I have is "518701055" so that does show up in that mtd6ro file. Lets see what Alastairstevenson says?
Yes, it's from China. When I had the other camera (that I accidentally copied the MTD from) plugged in to my network, I could not Putty into my camera. If it's the only thing on the network, it behaves. I'm wondering if there is network information like MAC address info in it as well?

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, it's from China. When I had the other camera (that I accidentally copied the MTD from) plugged in to my network, I could not Putty into my camera. If it's the only thing on the network, it behaves. I'm wondering if there is network information like MAC address info in it as well?
I searched the mtd6ro-orig file in HxD for the MAC and portions of (c4:2f:90:29:0a:9c) and couldn't find it. If it is there, it could be in hex as well.

Given these devices are used on internal networks, If using that file forced it to adopt the MAC, it shouldn't hurt anything.

btw, don't give up on your camera... if you are not able to restore it via network, you could use the serial port on it. I ended up having to do that after having some problems (caused by me I think). Thanks to alastairstevenson for all his help on that one.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
something is just not right.
If you mean the erratic ability to connect - it's the duplicate MAC addresses on the LAN. It's how a layer 2 environment addresses the packets, they need to be unique for it to work.
The MAC address is held on the mtd6r0 flash partition, so with the 2032 one copied top the 2532 they will both be the same in each camera.
If you power off the 2032 temporarily, the 2532 will be accessible, then you can swap in the donor mtd6ro, re-run the brickfixv2 process.
Having duplicate serial numbers should not be a problem.

kindacute

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - so I swapped out one of my live DS-2CD3332-I Hikvisions for a Dahua HDW4431C-A-V2 that I'd bought as spares&repairs on eBay and fixed up.
I'd been planning on swapping it out anyway - once I'd received and changed the 2.8mm lens for a 6mm one, which I did today.
So I've now got a Hikvision camera to test out some recovery scenarios on.

As you do seem quite adventurous - maybe you'd like to try this:
Unzip the mImage file attached and drop it in the same folder as the tftp updater (or tftp server if you are using that).
With the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128, power on the camera and interrupt the bootloader with Control-U
Press Return a couple of times and use the command
upm

Hopefully it will download and write a new copy of the 'min-system' recovery partition.
Then if you are running the Hikvision tftp updater, shut it down.
Use the command
reset
and with some luck it should boot into the 'min-system' mode, from where the /dav/fixup.sh script can be run.

Good luck! I have my fingers crossed.
Hello,

I bricked my ds-2cd2032-i with the same symptoms:

[2018-10-17 00:15:26] TFTP server[192.0.0.128] initialized
[2018-10-17 00:18:09] Device[192.0.0.64] test tftpserver

As I understand I had to connect to it with rs-232 port? Would you be so kind to write what exactly do I need. What hardware I must have to connect to rs-232?

Would attached mImage file fit to my camera?

Thank you in advance.

medtech1

n3wb
Reaction score
kindacute...

I can share how I did it on my Hikvision camera:

What helped me determine the connections:
Hikvision - Clearing Passwords and/or Loading Firmware via TTL Serial

The FTDI I used (serial to usb):
FTDI Friend + extras

(You can buy the cable versions too)

Also I soldered the wires to the GND/RX/TX pins.. but I used a very thin soldering tip (otherwise I would not attempt this method).

http://redhat.systems/hik/hik-serial1.jpg

I looked up a tear down of your DS-2CD2032-I :

Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I teardown - CCTV Forum
(most likely the 4 pin connector).

I used a meter to determine which pin was ground and then assumed RX/TX was next to it. (according to below).
(only three connections need to be made GND/RX/TX)

I used secureCRT and created a serial session to the applicable com port (you can use other tools too).

Once you are in via the serial, you can force it to do tftpd updates with a number of commands.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for a quick response, one question left: Would attached mImage file fit to my camera?
Yes, it would work OK, it's for all R0 series cameras.

But before you spend time trying that, there are a couple of things that can get in the way of the tftp updater engaging with the camera, just in case these are valid for your setup -
Don't connect the camera and PC directly over ethernet or over WiFi - connect each to the router or switch.
Don't power the camera using PoE - use an external 12v power supply.

Something else worth trying - power the camera up, and then press the reset button at the back to see if it connects up to the tftp updater.

kindacute

n3wb
Reaction score
Now it is back to live. Thank you all guys for helping me. Camera is updated to latest firmware. And I suppose it is Global now. Thank you one more time.

kindacute

n3wb
Reaction score
Once I got console connected I did as you said:
With the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128, power on the camera and interrupt the bootloader with Control-U
Press Return a couple of times and use the command
upm

after that camera downloaded mlImage file and then either it is rebooted or I did reboot myself.

After that I was able to start fixup.sh ( I did it over console not over telnet)