R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
To put a cap on my PoE issue I examined the pigtail and didn't find any deficiencies. Therefore I believe that the issue is with the PoE circuitry in the camera. That would explain why data passes on the appropriate pins but power on those pins doesn't work. It's likely that this is a self inflected wound. I dug through a pile of cables that I used while upgrading the camera and testing it in a new location, and I found a cable that I'm sure I used which is wired in a crossover configuration. My best guess is that using the crossover cable blew out the camera's ability to use mode A. I would have known better than to use a crossover cable when working with PoE, but I didn't examine the cable close enough before hooking it up. Moral of the story is, pay close attention to the wiring configuration of your cables when working with PoE. :)

If I find myself with enough time, and bored enough, then I may trace out the circuitry on the PC board to see if I can resolve the issue, but for now my external PoE mode B injector works fine. I've read about others with cameras that no longer work with PoE but they work fine when supplying power via the coax power connector, so I wonder how many of those cameras have just lost the ability to function in PoE mode A. Perhaps they could still be successfully powered with a PoE mode B injector.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You've done a thorough analysis, and I think drawn a reasonable conclusion. I also had pondered the fact that data was still ok in a scenario of a missing wire that breaks the power connection in Mode A.
I know there are warnings about crossover cables in a PoE setup but I've not looked at what that could do in terms of damage.

It's always interesting and potentially useful for others, exploring a problem that's less common.

geekuk

n3wb
Reaction score
Brilliant. Thank you Alastair for your work on this. Updated 3 cameras today that had the 'device language mismatch' error.

Just a note for anyone else. I had to run Tftpd as administrator otherwise I had permission errors.

ss666

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I had a question regarding the following step:

With the PC and the camera each on a wired connection (not WiFi) set the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128, subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 The default gateway does not matter.

does the camera ip address also have to set to 192.0.0.x?

Thanks

ss666

n3wb
Reaction score
No, the bootloader sets the IP address via a different configuration source when probing for the tftp updater.
Thankyou.

I've got a DS-2CD2032F-I camera which I tried to update the firmware. I'm not sure what went wrong along the way. The last log file message was
[2019-06-01 18:28:44] Completed file[C:\brickfixV2\digicap.dav] transmit, when I tried to update using IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.5_170123

It seems the camera firmware has been set to V4.0.8build 150401. The IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.64 as shown in the sadp tool. I can't login to the web interface.

What could I try to solve the update issue.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a DS-2CD2032F-I camera which I tried to update the firmware.
What type of update - just a normal web GUI update on a working camera with older 5.2.x firmware?
Is this a Chinese camera, CCCH in the serial number?

The last log file message was
[2019-06-01 18:28:44] Completed file[C:\brickfixV2\digicap.dav] transmit, when I tried to update using IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.5_170123
This is from the tftp updater status window, presumably.
And not the logfile from the brickfixV2 script.

It seems the camera firmware has been set to V4.0.8build 150401.
That's an indication that the camera is running in the 'min-system recovery mode' that's entered when it can't boot normally, for various reasons, such as Hikvision's 'feature' that bricks Chinese cameras that were updated to newer EN/ML firmware.

You've not mentioned doing the 'enhanced MTD hack - nor running the brickfixV2 script - so I'm thinking you've just done an update of a Chinese camera to the 5.4.5 firmware - and it's 'bricked'. Is that correct?
That's the reason why I created the brickfixV2 method - to recover these cameras, and fully update them to the current, backdoor-fixed, firmware.

What could I try to solve the update issue.
If what you did is as what I thought you did as above - you need to follow the brickfixV2 method to unbrick and update the camera.
It's not too difficult - loads of people have done it - and you'll get help via this forum.

rcko99

n3wb
Reaction score
Will the brickfixV2 firmware update work on chinese version DS-2CD2145F and DS-2CD3145F cameras? They are both running firmware version 5.3.3.

ss666

n3wb
Reaction score
What type of update - just a normal web GUI update on a working camera with older 5.2.x firmware?
Is this a Chinese camera, CCCH in the serial number?
Serial number shows CCCR in SADP tool

This is from the tftp updater status window, presumably.
And not the logfile from the brickfixV2 script.
I think I've attempted to update the firmware directly to version 5.4.5 and that has 'bricked' the camera.

That's an indication that the camera is running in the 'min-system recovery mode' that's entered when it can't boot normally, for various reasons, such as Hikvision's 'feature' that bricks Chinese cameras that were updated to newer EN/ML firmware.

You've not mentioned doing the 'enhanced MTD hack - nor running the brickfixV2 script - so I'm thinking you've just done an update of a Chinese camera to the 5.4.5 firmware - and it's 'bricked'. Is that correct?
Yes that is correct.

That's the reason why I created the brickfixV2 method - to recover these cameras, and fully update them to the current, backdoor-fixed, firmware.

I followed the brickfixV2 method from the Step 1, but I can't get it to upload either of the brickfixV2EN or brickfixV2CH files. The ip address of the camera is now 192.168.1.x and my computer is set to 192.168.1.x range. Is there anything else I can try?

If what you did is as what I thought you did as above - you need to follow the brickfixV2 method to unbrick and update the camera.
It's not too difficult - loads of people have done it - and you'll get help via this forum.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I followed the brickfixV2 method from the Step 1, but I can't get it to upload either of the brickfixV2EN or brickfixV2CH files.
Can you be more specific?

For example :

How are the PC and camera connected to the network?
How are you powering the camera?:
What did you set the PC IP address to before starting the Hikvision tftp updater?
Did you get a Windows firewall popup when starting the tftp updater?
What exactly showed on the status window of the fftp updater when you powered on the camera?

Do you believe the camera is a China region model?

outlander

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I have tried software update from 5.2.8 to current.
It didn't work, now it hangs.
What else can I do to make it work again?

[2019-06-06 09:16:00] TFTP-Server [192.0.0.128] wurde initialisiert

[2019-06-06 09:16:08] Gerät [192.0.0.64] testet tftpserver
Nothing happens after that

Cam: DS 2CD2032-I
Soft: 5.2.8 China

thanks for your help

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For best results - both the PC and the camera wired to your switch/router as normal, powered by 12v not PoE.

[2019-06-06 09:16:08] Gerät [192.0.0.64] testet tftpserver
Nothing happens after that
Try stopping the Windows firewall, and also running tftpserve.exe 'as administrator'.

outlander

n3wb
Reaction score
For best results - both the PC and the camera wired to your switch/router as normal, powered by 12v not PoE.

Try stopping the Windows firewall, and also running tftpserve.exe 'as administrator'.
Unfortunately, no change.
the cam is connected to the switch 12Volt and directly to the PC.
The first time everything went through as it should be.
But I had no access via PuTTY so I wanted to do it again and since then it hangs. :-(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, after several attempts, I can not get my hands on my camera, everything goes perfectly well, but I can not ping my camera. Upgrade with IPC_R0_EN_STD_5.4.5_170123
This method has worked OK on a number of DS-2CD2732F-IS cameras.
Your devType of 0E98 is OK, the language byte of 01 is OK
I can't check the checksum as it's a picture, not a file.

The first section of the PuTTY transcript looks normal - including the firmware update at the end.
However - it does look like the PuTTY rollback has been pasted back in to the telnet prompt, with some possible undesired results.
Is that what you think happened?
I would still have expected SADP to find the camera though, after a power cycle.

My suggestion would be to re-run the whole brickfixV2 process, starting with the Hikvsion tftp updater, which will now probably need the EN version of the digicap.dav file as the mtd6 has been changed to EN..
You would not need to create the mtd6_mod again as you already have this.

ss666

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you be more specific?

For example :

How are the PC and camera connected to the network?
How are you powering the camera?:
What did you set the PC IP address to before starting the Hikvision tftp updater?
Did you get a Windows firewall popup when starting the tftp updater?
What exactly showed on the status window of the fftp updater when you powered on the camera?

Do you believe the camera is a China region model?
Hi alastairstevenson,

Thanks for your reply. I managed to install the english firmware after reviewing all the steps I had done. I connected the pc and camera to the PoE switch and that seems to have fixed the issue. You did recommend an external power source but I didn't have one handy.

I set the pc ip to 192.0.0.128. The camera ip was set to 192.168.0.64. The CH version of brickfix worked in this case.

Thanks again, your fix is really simple once I ran through the steps.