R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

jameso

n3wb
Reaction score
How are the camera and PC connected?

I tried direction connection between the camera and the PC (using a PoE injector). And I tried connecting both to my router via network cable. Same error on both, so weird.

I also tried:
  • re-downloading the dav files in case they were corrupt
  • two other laptops

Last edited:

rancid990

n3wb
Reaction score
2x DS-2CD3132F-IWS successfully upgraded from v5.2.5 to v5.4.5 using this guide!

I used 1E98 - DS-2CD2132F-IWS for the dev type, as its "firmware compatible" with my Chinese model.

I've had both cameras blocked to external WAN on my untangle router for years. But thought it was about time to get rid of the login vulnerability just in case they were ever exposed to the raw and unadulterated internet.

Thanks brother!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I tried direction connection between the camera and the PC (using a PoE injector). And I tried connecting both to my router via network cable. Same error on both, so weird.
For the Hikvision tftp updater, both a direct cable connection between PC and camera, and powering via PoE, can be troublesome.
The updater works best when both PC and camera are wired to a switch / router, and the camera is powered with 12v.

Anyway - it's not clear to me what the running state of the camera is when you are connecting to it with telnet.
If it's the normal web GUI, with some very early 5.2.x or 5.1.x firmware that supports telnet, you can do the 'manual enhanced MTD hack' to extract mtdblock6, mod it as needed and write it back (and maybe also mtdblock1 if the firmware is 5.2.8).
Then you can use the web GUI to do the updates progressively with the EN/ML firmware, after a reboot.
A good collection of firmware is here :

Another way to start the 'brickfixV2' convert / update method, if you wanted to make use of the scripting, is as follows :
Connect to the camera with telnet, and at the root shell prompt use :
Code:
echo "Fixup stage1 completed - rollback payload dropped" > /dav/fixup_stage1.txt
/usr/sbin/set_sysflag -m 1
/sbin/reboot
Then with the PC IP address set to 192.0.0.128, you should be able to access the camera over telnet at 192.0.0.64 and follow the brickfixV2 process.
Log in as root with password=12345 and the tftp updater running, and the brickfixV2 CN digicap.dav in it's folder, issue the command
update digicap.dav

When that's done -
/dav/fixup.sh
and proceed from there.

I hope that makes sense.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
. Unfortunately I don't even have access anymore.
Maybe not over the network - but the serial console will still be OK.
Does SADP still show the camera? If it does, with firmware version 4.0.8 it's running in min-system recovery mode.

I don't know how it would react with a blanck mtdblock6, it's not something I've tried.

Kris Reese

n3wb
Reaction score
Worked like a charm. I needed this to get a couple of my cameras up to a firmware version so that milestone could recognize the devices and monitor them. Thank you!

electro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Done..everything went smoothly and I already have a new update camera :)
Thank you very much for help..
In the next days I will look for 1 more similar camera and if it is convenient to send its file for modification?
View attachment 63701
Hi

You have CN version and directly upgrade it to 5.4.5 Eng firmware?

mindedc

n3wb
Reaction score
Potentially dumb question, does any of this work for G1 cameras such as DS-2CD2335-I or DS-2CD2135F-IS? i have both in my system. The DS-2CD2135F-IS don't need a browser plugin however, the 2335 cams do... They're identical firmware, web version etc.. 5.4.20 firmware on both... They both have a CH in the serial so I'm assuming I would brick them doing a normal upgrade. I don't use the browser view a lot, it would just be nice so I don't want to risk a perfectly good cam if it this procedure won't work on them.

Thanks in advance!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, but the brickfixV2 method of converting from CN to EN is very specific to R0 series cameras.
The G1 series holds the camera-specific data in a separate security chip, not in a flash partition.

If you update the cameras with EN firmware, at best they will reject it. At worse they will part brick with a language mismatch error.

Reaction score
2x DS-2CD3132F-IWS successfully upgraded from v5.2.5 to v5.4.5 using this guide!

I used 1E98 - DS-2CD2132F-IWS for the dev type, as its "firmware compatible" with my Chinese model.

I've had both cameras blocked to external WAN on my untangle router for years. But thought it was about time to get rid of the login vulnerability just in case they were ever exposed to the raw and unadulterated internet.

Thanks brother!
Hi,

Could you please tell us which firmware you downloaded and provide the link?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
All the R0 firmware you'll need can be found here :

The 5.4.5 version works OK in Stage 3 of the brickfixV2 method, then you can do the web GUI update to 5.4.41, the very last R0 version.
Thanks for your reply!

I've already downloaded the firmware and started the mod, but I am stuck on the Hikvision TFTP.

My CAM is wired to my router and so is my PC. I've set my PCs IP to 192.0.0.128, but the server is stuck in "initialized" for minutes, it does not happens what I see on the video.

I am using Windows 10 and already accepted the Firewall permissions, and tried the EN and CN mod. My cam is not bricked and was configured for WIFI use.

UPDATE: I used SADP and now its working, applied mod and it's running new firmware! Thanks!

UPDATE 2: Modded my second cam, with the same excellent results! Thank you very much alastairstevenson !!! AWESOME GUIDE

Last edited:
Reaction score
One thing I notice after upgrading is that I no longer have "movement" notifications from EZVIZ or HIK-CONNECT in my phone.

It's not an app problem, as my other cameras provide notifications without problems, and it's not an "event" problem in my upgraded cameras, as they are sending emails with the notifications...

The problem seems to be within Network > Advanced Settings > Access to Platform > Server IP Address (it's using: dev.hik-connect.com also tired dev.sa.hik-connect.com) and weirdly shows "online".

Last edited:

RuiP

n3wb
Reaction score
Functional DS-2CD2132F-IS, 5.2.5.
PC set to 192.0.0.128 and Win10 w/ firewall off.
Both connected to a switch.

Successfully (?) finished step 5 of the 1st post, uploading brickfixv2CN.dat:

[2020-09-12 19:15:55] Device[192.0.0.64] test tftpserver
[2020-09-12 19:16:03] Connect client[192.0.0.64] success
[2020-09-12 19:16:03] Start file[C:\Users\DELL\Downloads\TFTP\digicap.dav] transmitting
[2020-09-12 19:16:30] Completed file[C:\Users\DELL\Downloads\TFTP\digicap.dav] transmit
[2020-09-12 19:16:46] Device[192.0.0.64] system update completed!

Power cycled the cam, and that probably (?) did "drop the payload, fix up mtdblock1 and reboot into min-system mode for telnet access".
I did saw the cam online in SADP, in min-system mode.
However, I must have mixed the guide steps and powered it back down again. After that:
  • SADP can't find the camera.
  • Ping timeout to 192.0.0.64
  • Putty can't connect to 192.0.0.64 via telnet

Everytime I power-cycle the camera, Hikvision tftp updater returns a: [2020-09-13 09:06:58] Device[192.0.0.64] test tftpserver
Everytime I hit the Refresh in SADP, the LED inside the camera blinks (and also for LED in the switch), denoting some sorte of network activity.

Otherwise, the camera seems dead. Any ideias on how to revive it?

Any ideas?
Thanks!!!

Last edited: