R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I managed to flash my 2CD2332 cameras successfully and its working well
A good result!

I have a 2CD2T45-i8 firmware (V5.3.3) and encoding version (V7.1). Is this the same as DS-2CD2T32-I8 as listed on the first post?
I don't believe so.
I'm pretty sure that's an R6 series as opposed to the R0 series that brickfixV2 applies to.
If it's not a CN camera you should be able to update with the stock firmware.

Reaction score
Hi. I have a DS2CD2732F-IS which I got second hand on eBay and it was working when it arrived, but I inadvertently bricked it when trying to upgrade the firware to the latest EU firmware. I already completed the firmware upgrade with 4 other cameras - so I was not concerned there would be any problem with this one. Looking at the sticker it is clearly a Chinese model. Having found this thread I got excited about fixing it, but I don’t seem to be getting anywhere. The Hikvision TFTP Server just gives the “server initialised” message but the camera never connects. If I ping 192.0.0.64, the camera only very sporadically replies. I am connecting to it with a PoE gigabit switch. The lights are on on the camera and the ports on the switch. The only things connected to the switch are the camera and my laptop. Any clues as to what’s wrong?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hikvision tftp updater can be a bit troublesome when the camera is powered over PoE.
See how it goes when powered using the 12V pigtail.

Also when PC and computer are directly connected the tftp updater can be cranky, so it's best as you'd had it connected on a switch.

Reaction score
Ok. Many thanks for your quick reply Alastair.

Trouble is I don't have a power adaptor. I'll have a proper look to see if there's anything I can rig otherwise I guess I'm looking on ebay.

Do you really think this will make a difference?

One thing I'm worried about after a bit closer observation. I noticed that the green light inside the cam is cycling. It is on, with an occasional flicker for 9 seconds, then off for 1 second. This cycle carries on forever. Looking at the other working cams the light constantly flickers. I was worried that this may be a sign of a boot loop, or am I just reading too much into it?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I was worried that this may be a sign of a boot loop, or am I just reading too much into it?
It may well be a boot loop. That can be one of the consequences of 'bricking' it.

otherwise I guess I'm looking on ebay.
In which case maybe look for the items needed to connect up to the serial console to get a full view of what's happening, and more easily recover the camera :
A 4-pin 1.5mm ZH JST wired connector, usually sold in 10-packs
A serial TTL to USB convertor such as a PL2303TA-based one.

Reaction score
Many thanks. I really appreciate the advice. Clearly I'd have no hope of recovering this thing on my own! Are you able to support me through this journey? Is there a step-by-step guide you can point me at regarding the serial console? So the serial console will allow me to diagnose/stop the boot loop? Do you still think it's worth me getting a power adaptor or can I continue to power it using PoE?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the sticker it is clearly a Chinese model.
Are you convinced this is a Chinese camera? If you can remember if the serial number as seen on the web GUI or SADP has 'CCCH' in it, that would be a good clue.

Clearly I'd have no hope of recovering this thing on my own!
If you want to expend some time trying to fix up the camera - the forum is a great resource to help you through the journey.

Do you still think it's worth me getting a power adaptor
It might bring the tftp update process to life. They are pretty cheap, and maybe useful to have anyway.

Reaction score
I don't have the serial number. I suppose I'm guessing that it's Chinese really. I upgraded my other 4 cameras, which are all DS-2CD2732F-I, using the same firmware a couple of years back and it worked no problem. I got these new 5 years ago along with my NVR from a UK supplier. The new camera I bought a couple of weeks ago from a UK private seller on eBay. It's used and a DS-2CD2732F-IS - so only slightly different model - I believe the S means it has audio I/O and alarm I/O which the others do not (I will not use these features). The sticker on the back of the camera is almost entirely in Chinese characters, which I don't think was the case with the others (though they are mounted and in use so I can't easily check).

Anyhow I've ordered the 2 parts you mentioned earlier, so when they arrive sometime next week I'll have a play with it and see where I get. I haven't ordered a power adaptor for now. Can you point me at a good thread to guide me?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Hi @alastairstevenson ,

I got the bits you suggested, and today finally got around to making the serial cable and having a play, but I have hit some problem.

I connected up the camera and confirmed a bootloop:

1607261840938.png
I was able to interrupt the boot using <ctrl>-u, however I don't seem to be able to get the cam to update using tftp:

1607261928560.png

I have set my laptop's IP address to 192.0.0.128. I have checked and the laptop can ping the camera and the camera can ping the laptop:

1607261989753.png

1607261582670.png

The Hikvision TFPT Server doesn't appear to be replying to the camera:

1607261635908.png

1607261654788.png

You can see when the "update" command is issued on the serial console a number of packets are received on the laptop, but non (or rather very few) are sent.

What could be wrong?

Attachments

Reaction score
Hmm. You think it might be firewall huh? Could be. It is not really my laptop - it's my work's. Although I have Administrator on the laptop, the firewall is implemented within McAffee Endpoint Security (overriding Windows Firewall) and I do not have the ability to disable it.

I will try and get hold of the missus's laptop and give it a go with that.

Reaction score
Hi @alastairstevenson

Yesterday I managed to unbrick my cam using my missus's laptop and it's now running the latest firmware. Clearly the firewall was the issue all along. Basic failure on my part to not consider this even though it was mentioned in your steps. Thanks very much for the help!

bugmenot01

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Excellent post OP, thank you!! I successfully upgraded a CCCH serial DS-2CD2432F-IW to 5.4.5 English firmware.

My setup involved powering the camera with a 12V AC adapter with the ethernet cable connected to a switch. The computer I used was then connected to said switch. No other outside connections to avoid any issues. During Stage 1, I was not able to use the jouinin.net TFTP as the exported mtd6ro_orig was blank for some reason. I believe this was due to an access issue despite disabling the firewall. I instead used haneWin TFTP which allowed me to export a proper mtd6ro_orig and I was able to successfully complete Stage 2 and 3.

I did not need to incrementally upgrade the firmware and went straight to 5.4.5 with no issue.

Thank you sir and cheers!!