R0 / DS-2CD2x32 BrickfixV2 brick recovery and full upgrade tool - enhanced.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
A slight inconsistency in my text.
About mtdblock1
Originally needed a manual inspection / possible fix, but it's now automatic and needs no user action any more.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
brickfixV2 does not require any Chinese firmware.
What the camera may need, for the first step using the tftp updater, is the CN header version of the brickfixV2 firmware, as attached in the first post.

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hrm. Updating another 2CD2132F-IS. Process appeared to sail right through, starting with brickfix2CN.dav and ending with firmware 5.4.0. Camera shows up in SADP, and accepts new network parameters. When I try to log in, though, I get

Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
firmware language mismatch: /home/webLib

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My DS-7616NI-E2 / 8P NVR sees it and controls it. There's some chinese in the OSD. Can't log into it from anything else.

Should I start over with brickfix2EN.dav?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Camera shows up in SADP, and accepts new network parameters. When I try to log in, though, I get

Access Error: 404 -- Not Found
firmware language mismatch: /home/webLib
I'd check the language byte in mtdblock6, ensure it's set to 01

Or, optimistic long-shot, either clear the browser cache, or move the camera to an IP address the browser hasn't previously used.

rdv0011

n3wb
Reaction score
hi.
I have completed brickfix steps and tried to upload 5.4.5_170123_eu. Unfortunately the web UI is not accessible but telnet works only. Is there any way to check web UI logs or start it manually if it is not running?
I have also tried the digicap.dav from 5.30 Downgrader with the same result.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks strange but there is no /dav/davinci file in the camera fs. Does it mean the firmware updating somehow failed?
The running system deletes the decrypted file after executing it.

I have completed brickfix steps and tried to upload 5.4.5_170123_eu.
Unfortunately the web UI is not accessible but telnet works only.
This implies that the process was not actually completed - there is no telnet available in that version.
I suspect that you are still connecting to the 'min-system' recovery environment.
If so, there are no web services available in it.

I do think there is an error in the mtdblock6, either/both the language byte or the checksum value.

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'd check the language byte in mtdblock6, ensure it's set to 01
I noticed that a bunch of it was different from my other camera of the same model. I was thinking about using the earlier mod, and decided against it.

Which is the language byte?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I noticed that a bunch of it was different from my other camera of the same model.
The mtdblock6 contents are unique to each camera, even of the same model.
It holds, amongst many other things, the MAC address, the serial number, build date etc.

I was thinking about using the earlier mod, and decided against it.
If you mean the one you used for the other camera - that would give a duplicate MAC address, leading to network problems if used on the same LAN.

Which is the language byte?
That's the essence of the 'enhanced mtd hack' to convert from a CN camera to one that works as EN/ML. It's the value in byte 0x10 - 01 for EN, 02 for CN.
If it's still at a CN value, the newest firmware will give a 'language mismatch' error, or brick the camera.
With the correct devType - not the 'masqueraded' value that some CN cameras have - and a valid checksum, a changed mtdblock6 allows full use of all firmware revisions.

daijie

n3wb
Reaction score
Alastair - many thanks for all your work and advice which is amazing. Using your guide I have successfully upgraded 3 DS-2CD2032F-I cameras. I have a fourth - which behaves differently to all the others. It currently runs V5.3.0 build 150513. I can see it with SADP tool and Batch Configuration tool - I have reset it and it shows an ip of 192.168.1.64. I have then tried the same process as with the other cameras - but I can't get past go, as tftpserv does not see it / connect to it. I have tried to upgrade it to the brickfix2CN.dav firmware using the batch config tool - but the upgrade fails. I can access the web gui - but I cannot browse to the location of the new .dav file (the browse button at the Upgrade section has no impact). Not sure if this is relevant or just another oddity - the camera does not seem to work with direct power - it will only work via a POE connection. Also - it does not seem to function over a direct switch connection to my PC (as all the other cameras did) - it will only work when connected in directly to my router.

Any guidance or ideas would be very gratefully appreciated! Many thanks again for the great work which allowed me to get this far

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can see it with SADP tool and Batch Configuration tool - I have reset it and it shows an ip of 192.168.1.64.
Is this also a DS-2CD2032F ?

I have then tried the same process as with the other cameras - but I can't get past go, as tftpserv does not see it / connect to it.
Not sure if this is relevant or just another oddity - the camera does not seem to work with direct power - it will only work via a POE connection.
That might be significant - there were some posts a while back where POE timing somehow got in the way of the probes for the Hikvision tftp server, but it worked OK on 12v power.
I'm not sure about this - I should know but don't have anything to test on - if the reset button on the back is a reset as well as 'reset to defaults on a long press', maybe try powering on, then press the reset button.
I have tried to upgrade it to the brickfix2CN.dav firmware using the batch config tool - but the upgrade fails.
If it's running 'hacked to English' firmware, you'll need to use the brickfix2EN.dav firmware.
I can access the web gui - but I cannot browse to the location of the new .dav file (the browse button at the Upgrade section has no impact).
That can be a symptom of the webcomponents plugin not being loaded. Are you using IE11, not Edge?
Also - it does not seem to function over a direct switch connection to my PC (as all the other cameras did) - it will only work when connected in directly to my router.
That can also be a troublesome method for the Hikvision tftp updater - again, timing linked to the camera stopping and starting the ethernet interface, and the PC catching up with the changing link status.

nottooloud

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's the value in byte 0x10 - 01 for EN, 02 for CN.
If it's still at a CN value, the newest firmware will give a 'language mismatch' error, or brick the camera.
...and it's right there in your original instructions, *and* in the scope jpg. Cripes. Sorry.

Changed that bit, redid the checksum, and we're all in. Thanks again.