Really Confused Again about NVR

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, the NVR is perfect for continuous recording and nothing else. The problem will surface when you actually need to find an event. My reply was to point out inaccuracies in your statement about the certainty than an nvr provides which is false.
Not sure what NVR you've used previously, but the new Dahua 4.0 NVR's work fantastic for logging events and IVS in playback.
NVRevents.PNG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what NVR you've used previously, but the new Dahua 4.0 NVR's work fantastic for logging events and IVS in playback.
View attachment 63370
lol, you are confused because you have never used a real vms, only toy NVR's. Im talking about quick scrub through the time line or quick playback to find an event. My blue iris machines can play back at 256x smoothly. You can view an entire day in minuets. Try that with your toy.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Awsome stuff. I dont really need that. I can just quickly look at the blue tags on my time line at 16x and will still be to fast for me , as there is not much activity around here anyways.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Awsome stuff. I dont really need that. I can just quickly look at the blue tags on my time line at 16x and will still be to fast for me , as there is not much activity around here anyways.
My point is, If you have 50 or 100 events in a day it’s brutally painfully slow to review it on A toy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
NVR or VMS solution can be dependant on the situation.
The NVR worked well in this case, I see no problem.
Its very rare that an NVR is ideal. The problem is the OP chose to go with blue iris likely because he needed more functions than a toy NVR could provide.

JCuatro

n3wb
Reaction score
Its very rare that an NVR is ideal. The problem is the OP chose to go with blue iris likely because he needed more functions than a toy NVR could provide.
Your post are making me want to go BI, but I am lost as to where to start in terms of what I need. I know there is a wiki that helps with computer selection, but I have been unable to find an overall guide of how you should set up the software. Is it just really simple or am I missing something?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it just really simple or am I missing something?
"Yes" to both.
BI has extensive built-in "help" which is just that...help. The BI section of this forum and its members can likely assist with the issue(s) that you can't find answers to in that help file but the forum should be consulted secondarily, IMO. You'd be surprised how often folks struggle, get frustrated then ask BEFORE they even consult "help".

Many default settings work but fine tuning is needed. Much like shoes, one size does not fit all and brown doesn't work in all situations.

Attached below is the "Help" file from my version of BI.

Attachments

Reaction score
I've used both NVRs and Blue Iris on a tower. There are pros and cons to each type. Based on my comparison here are my notes. Personally I'll stay with the NVR now as replacing the computers is more costly and brings with it unplanned/unscheduled security updates.

Computer as NVR:
++ recognizes virtually any camera type
-- may tax your CPU heavily since the CPU is doing the processing (more camera the harder the CPU works)
-- computers suck typically a lot more power
-- Microsoft updates shut down computer at inconvenient times
-- computer on network is easier to hack
++ can stream video over your VPN without needing to use an app for access
-- computer operating system requires a drive that will fail over time
++ can have multiple drives for video recordings
-- a cheap computer will not have a CPU able to support 16 cameras all streaming video to be recorded 24-7
-- computers are not designed (unless server) to be ran 24-7 (my last one made it 2.5 years until it failed running 24-7 as a NVR)

Dedicated NVR:
-- you need to carefully look at specs to see what cameras work with your brand NVR (I have GW NVR that supports ONVIF but not all cameras, most good cameras do though, support ONVIF)
-- you need to carefully look at the specs for recording mp bandwidth rate
++ uses minimal power running 24-7 compared to a computer pulling 200+ watts
++ No unexpected Microsoft updates shutting down system
++ dedicated NVR software not easier hacked
- -you need the NVR's app to access remotely
++ NVR operating system is not on a drive thus a drive failure only deletes old recordings
-- limited to number of hard drives for video storage (I have 2-10TB WD purple hard drives recording 16 camers recording 24-7 giving me only 42days of storage: 1-4k 20fps, 15-4mp 20fps)
-- a good NVR can be costly. Mine on sale cost over $300 (POE but I used POE switches instead of buying a 16-port POE NVR)
++ NVRs are designed to run 24-7 without failure (My current one is running 24-7 and records 16 channels 24-7 for over 4years now without a hiccup)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Computer as NVR:

Dedicated NVR:
Thanks for this guide, very good first post, but I have a comment regarding Windows Updates:

You can configure your Windows 7 or 10 to NOT update and/or restart PC unless you allow it..
I've run Blue Iris VMS on Win 7 for 5 years and on Win 10 for 1 year and not once has Windows Updates shutdown or restarted my PC.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
When are they coming out with the Blue Iris NVR!? :)...I just discovered a neat little Z shaped menu button on BI 5. You can fill the screen with recent events of a selected camera and scroll down to the beginning of the day, Now I can quickly review my 3 Cams previous captures. I'm still stuck with a Nightowl DVR legacy device for 13 cameras. But I can eventually dial in to an event.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When are they coming out with the Blue Iris NVR!? :)...I just discovered a neat little Z shaped menu button on BI 5. You can fill the screen with recent events of a selected camera and scroll down to the beginning of the day, Now I can quickly review my 3 Cams previous captures. I'm still stuck with a Nightowl DVR legacy device for 13 cameras. But I can eventually dial in to an event.
Any decent pc is a blue iris NVR. Thats the entire point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can bring a Nightowl DVR and its cam feed into BI...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dedicated NVR:

++ NVR operating system is not on a drive thus a drive failure only deletes old recordings
++ NVRs are designed to run 24-7 without failure (My current one is running 24-7 and records 16 channels 24-7 for over 4years now without a hiccup)
I have had whatever the NVR operating system is running on go out. TWICE. Got to buy a whole new NVR - TWICE

I have had the ethernet port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

i had the HDMI port go out on an NVR. Got to buy a whole new NVR.

Glad you have had yours running 4+years. Most I ever got was 2.5. In my mind an NVR is simply a stripped down computer.

So in my BI Computer, at least if the SSD goes out, I can just replace it. If the ethernet card goes out, I can just replace it. If the HDMI port goes out, I can just replace it. etc.

One of my NVR systems needed internet access for its app to work. They can be hacked as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used both NVRs and Blue Iris on a tower. There are pros and cons to each type. Based on my comparison here are my notes. Personally I'll stay with the NVR now as replacing the computers is more costly and brings with it unplanned/unscheduled security updates.

Computer as NVR:
++ recognizes virtually any camera type
-- may tax your CPU heavily since the CPU is doing the processing (more camera the harder the CPU works)
-- computers suck typically a lot more power
-- computer on network is easier to hack
++ can stream video over your VPN without needing to use an app for access
-- computer operating system requires a drive that will fail over time
++ can have multiple drives for video recordings
-- a cheap computer will not have a CPU able to support 16 cameras all streaming video to be recorded 24-7
-- computers are not designed (unless server) to be ran 24-7 (my last one made it 2.5 years until it failed running 24-7 as a NVR)

Dedicated NVR:
-- you need to carefully look at specs to see what cameras work with your brand NVR (I have GW NVR that supports ONVIF but not all cameras, most good cameras do though, support ONVIF)
-- you need to carefully look at the specs for recording mp bandwidth rate
++ uses minimal power running 24-7 compared to a computer pulling 200+ watts
++ dedicated NVR software not easier hacked
- -you need the NVR's app to access remotely
-- limited to number of hard drives for video storage (I have 2-10TB WD purple hard drives recording 16 camers recording 24-7 giving me only 42days of storage: 1-4k 20fps, 15-4mp 20fps)
-- a good NVR can be costly. Mine on sale cost over $300 (POE but I used POE switches instead of buying a 16-port POE NVR)
You have little to no experience with both NVR and PC based NVR's as evidenced by your post. Let me help correct your false and misleading statements. Nothing you said is truthful.
If you buy the right cpu or use software that does not tax the CPU you wont have a "cpu taxing" issue. You do understand that NVR's cpu's are also taxed and that is why they are limited by to certain bitrates?
You can completely eliminate and prevent MS updates if you wish. What world do you live in?
A computer is NOT easier to hack than an NVR. Have you seen the backdoors and hacks for NVR's? Moreover the manufactues do not issue timely firmware updates. Therefore you if have half a brain, you use a vpn and dont expose the device to the internet.
You can stream using a vpn with BOTH a pc OR NVR.
I run over 20 blue iris pc's many of which are 6-8 years old. I have never had an OS hard drive fail. I maintain over 100 pc overall, never had an SSD fail on me. Stop with the nonsense. If your storage drive fails on your NVR you have the exact same problem.
a cheap computer can easily handle 16 cameras. You are clueless again. It all depends on the software, settings, what "cheap" means, cameras resolution and frame rates.
Onfiv is misleading in that many IVS features dont work across brands.
Computers dont pull 200+watts there are many threads on this topic in this forum. A modern i5 machine will draw 30-50w for your average load. Stop literally making up facts.
MS
NVR software is easily hacked.
Pc's are designed to run 24/7 without failure. Like I said, I have over 20 blue iris machines running 24/7. Some for as long as 8 years.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You can bring a Nightowl DVR and its cam feed into BI...
Thanks for the info Dude,,,Right now I'm ok with my BI running on 1/2 screen & Nightowl HD CMS behind it on full screen. I was looking at the forums and my model # of NightOwl didn't have good results for rstp. I have a lot of other duties on site, and I will research a DVR that ports into BI, when things slow down with outdoor landscape projects.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I simply opened up in BI the Add Camera. Typed in the IP of the Nightowl DVR and hit the find/inspect button and it populated in what it thought was a good match. Then you just copy the camera and in the setup change the camera number. Was as easy as bringing in an IP cam.

1593659262345.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I simply opened up in BI the Add Camera. Typed in the IP of the Nightowl DVR and hit the find/inspect button and it populated in what it thought was a good match. Then you just copy the camera and in the setup change the camera number. Was as easy as bringing in an IP cam.

View attachment 65290
Thx, I'll give it whirl tomorrow at work. Would simply my life!