Really Confused Again about NVR

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I simply opened up in BI the Add Camera. Typed in the IP of the Nightowl DVR and hit the find/inspect button and it populated in what it thought was a good match. Then you just copy the camera and in the setup change the camera number. Was as easy as bringing in an IP cam.

View attachment 65290
Yeah, no joy. The HDA10PB-16 isn't having it apparently. It could acknowledge an RTSP port match, if I changed the port number on both devices to match. I pulled the mthrfckr outta the router, made a static IP and tried some other bllsht as well. it's 87 in the office. Fck it. I'll find a 16 channel mthrfckr that works with B iris. It's so hot It/s making my fuse short.....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, no joy. The HDA10PB-16 isn't having it apparently. It could acknowledge an RTSP port match, if I changed the port number on both devices to match. I pulled the mthrfckr outta the router, made a static IP and tried some other bllsht as well. it's 87 in the office. Fck it. I'll find a 16 channel mthrfckr that works with B iris. It's so hot It/s making my fuse short.....
That's a bummer.

Do you have a screen that is something like this? If so, add the web port after the IP address in BI and see if it finds it. For this example it would be 123.456.789.910:02049

1593726080977.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a bummer.

Do you have a screen that is something like this? If so, add the web port after the IP address in BI and see if it finds it. For this example it would be 123.456.789.910:02049

View attachment 65342
I have exactly that page. Bi kept assigning :80 after my IP, so I tried making those number match, the 9000 and the 2049, here's a photo of my best result. Maybe I was supposed to close out of that and see if a camera appeared. You gotta realize i have The 100 residents, Comcast, Century Link, Realtors, FED EX Ups Amazon all hitting my phone....hard to concentrate on this during a business day. unnamed.jpg

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have exactly that page. Bi kept assigning :80 after my IP, so I tried making those number match, the 9000 and the 2049, here's a photo of my best result. Maybe I was supposed to close out of that and see if a camera appeared. You gotta realize i have The 100 residents, Comcast, Century Link, Realtors, FED EX Ups Amazon all hitting my phone....hard to concentrate on this during a business day.
Yeah, so it looks like in that screen above it found a compatible device to use, so hit close and it will populate the info into the Add Camera Screen.

Next go down to the red arrow and select a camera number. Mine are 1 off of what they are in NightOwl, so pick like Cam 4 and see what happens.

1593727216115.png

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, so it looks like in that screen above it found a compatible device to use, so hit close and it will populate the info into the Add Camera Screen.

Next go down to the red arrow and select a camera number. Mine are 1 off of what they are in NightOwl, so pick like Cam 4 and see what happens.

View attachment 65344
Thanks. I will revisit my machine tomorrow, unless I'm out at the Red Neck Yacht Club,,,:)

Reaction score
You have little to no experience with both NVR and PC based NVR's as evidenced by your post. Let me help correct your false and misleading statements. Nothing you said is truthful.
If you buy the right cpu or use software that does not tax the CPU you wont have a "cpu taxing" issue. You do understand that NVR's cpu's are also taxed and that is why they are limited by to certain bitrates?
You can completely eliminate and prevent MS updates if you wish. What world do you live in?
A computer is NOT easier to hack than an NVR. Have you seen the backdoors and hacks for NVR's? Moreover the manufactues do not issue timely firmware updates. Therefore you if have half a brain, you use a vpn and dont expose the device to the internet.
You can stream using a vpn with BOTH a pc OR NVR.
I run over 20 blue iris pc's many of which are 6-8 years old. I have never had an OS hard drive fail. I maintain over 100 pc overall, never had an SSD fail on me. Stop with the nonsense. If your storage drive fails on your NVR you have the exact same problem.
a cheap computer can easily handle 16 cameras. You are clueless again. It all depends on the software, settings, what "cheap" means, cameras resolution and frame rates.
Onfiv is misleading in that many IVS features dont work across brands.
Computers dont pull 200+watts there are many threads on this topic in this forum. A modern i5 machine will draw 30-50w for your average load. Stop literally making up facts.
MS
NVR software is easily hacked.
Pc's are designed to run 24/7 without failure. Like I said, I have over 20 blue iris machines running 24/7. Some for as long as 8 years.
Fenderman, I was sharing my personal viewpoint based on 15 years of installing systems for large residential and medium-largel businesses with systems ofvaried number of cameras (started with coax in the day and now IP systems). Dedicated NVRs are much easier for end users to work with and they experience fewer problems than end users working with PC systems (from updates to kids screwing with the system to try to access personal content, etc). Based on your posts you seem to favor BI and push this product. BI works great and can handle virtually anything thrown at it. My only complaint is the cost of the PC, cost of running it, locking it down from the security guard using it, and other superficial things. A lynux system works better but it too has a downside. A dedicated NVR tends to be easier for the smaller systems once we set it up and end users rarely screwed it up.

I do not feel that you were warranted to launch a personal attack and accuse me of lying
which is a clear violation of the rules of this forum. "Personal attacks, berating users or treating people unfairly / rudely is a breach of the rules and any contracts involved and will result in immediate banning, regardless of your current status on the site." Maybe your status on this website places you above the rules; I do not know.

I know that updates can be disabled on a PC, I have done this before but after a few updates go by I feel as though those systems are ripe attack and are operating with their pants down. Buying and installing a professional dedicated NVR has worked better for my installs. PC users call telling me the screen is blank whereas dedicated NVR users only call when there is a pop-up saying an update is available but the system is still running.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, I was sharing my personal viewpoint based on 15 years of installing systems for large residential and medium-largel businesses with systems ofvaried number of cameras (started with coax in the day and now IP systems). Dedicated NVRs are much easier for end users to work with and they experience fewer problems than end users working with PC systems (from updates to kids screwing with the system to try to access personal content, etc). Based on your posts you seem to favor BI and push this product. BI works great and can handle virtually anything thrown at it. My only complaint is the cost of the PC, cost of running it, locking it down from the security guard using it, and other superficial things. A lynux system works better but it too has a downside. A dedicated NVR tends to be easier for the smaller systems once we set it up and end users rarely screwed it up.

I do not feel that you were warranted to launch a personal attack and accuse me of lying which is a clear violation of the rules of this forum. "Personal attacks, berating users or treating people unfairly / rudely is a breach of the rules and any contracts involved and will result in immediate banning, regardless of your current status on the site." Maybe your status on this website places you above the rules; I do not know.

I know that updates can be disabled on a PC, I have done this before but after a few updates go by I feel as though those systems are ripe attack and are operating with their pants down. Buying and installing a professional dedicated NVR has worked better for my installs. PC users call telling me the screen is blank whereas dedicated NVR users only call when there is a pop-up saying an update is available but the system is still running.
The rules don’t apply when addressing trunk slammer inept installers like you.
This forum was specifically created to protect our members against crooks like you. Everything you said is factually false. The fact that you keep restating the false statements you have made, after being schooled, makes you a liar. I have explained that in the prior post.
My status on this forum is owner. I take special joy in telling crooks like you to fuck off. Go back to ripping off your clients and installing 1/3 sensor cameras for 400 a pop.
Unfortunately you have not had the opportunity to read my many posts on the subject. Microsoft provides timely updates to security vulnerabilities. NVR and camera manufacturers Wait months after a vulnerability is made known to them before they provide an update and often times never do. There are many NVR is there are only several years old that are end of life. If you wish you could manually install windows updates you can’t do that for an NVR that has security vulnerabilities but the manufacturer refuses to Provide updates. Moreover and I cannot stress this enough any NVR or PCNVR must not be exposed to the Internet directly and you should be using a VPN and therefore none of this matters. I understand however that since you are a trunk slammers installer You either port forward or use p2p Foolishly exposing your customers data.
Stop pretending that NVR’s have no issues there are thousands of posts here that would disagree with you. Most likely if you had any issues with PC-based Nvr it’s because you were in properly set it up. I run over 20 blue Iris systems with zero issues. Contrary to your False statements they are cheap easy to install and easy to operate and very power efficient Using only 20 to 30 W more than a traditional NVR A small price for a far superior system. For most of my installations a PC with Blue Iris and the switch I’m in under 250. See the wiki on choosing hardware for Blue Iris.
Your post simply evidence is how fundamentally inept you are. If you can’t figure out how to prevent kids from accessing personal content on a dedicated pc You shouldn’t be touching anything network related.
Understand this there are hundreds of VMS other than Blue Iris. There Is good reason why they are used in many various applications from homes to enterprise. The reason why you don’t install them is because you are incompetent and therefore don’t have the skill set to do so. you just know how to hook crap up Using the manufacturers plug and play which exposes all your clients to hacking.
You don’t even know basic specifications like the power draw of a modern PC.

Last edited: