recommendation for best ip camera to capture face?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Oh - if you looking for only buying one camera to do both, that isn't it. I thought you were looking at buying two cameras. Two of those cameras - one for the up close and one for the distance would be appropriate.

A varifocal is intended to be a set it and forget it. You set the zoom level for the area you are looking at getting coverage and the focus is for that location.

Trying to use one camera for a range of distances means that you are then digitally zooming for the areas further away and that degrades the quality fast.

If you want the ability to zoom in and out somewhat frequently, then you need a PTZ camera.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh - if you looking for only buying one camera to do both, that isn't it. I thought you were looking at buying two cameras. Two of those cameras - one for the up close and one for the distance would be appropriate.

A varifocal is intended to be a set it and forget it. You set the zoom level for the area you are looking at getting coverage and the focus is for that location.

Trying to use one camera for a range of distances means that you are then digitally zooming for the areas further away and that degrades the quality fast.

If you want the ability to zoom in and out somewhat frequently, then you need a PTZ camera.
No no. I'm thinking of buying two camera.. one for the front door and one for the street..
on the street I want to capture people face.. so I need zoom. I guess for the front door. Will this camera work?

for the street i will get this one.

sound good?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think the 3.6mm version of the fixed cam would be the one you want. Even though the 2.8mm says you can identify at 13 feet, I would prefer more zoom. Especially for night time.

1612115962488.png

But yes those two would be good choices if you are looking to save a little and not purchase two of the ZE.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome - cant wait to see the cameras in action! They are great cameras.
indeed!! heard good thing about it.. will post some image after i install it ;0 thank again!!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
lighting at night . we do have a light pole on the drive drive.. I want to spend like around $100 or so. I think i need one that can zoom in. I want to capture from the sidewalk where they walking in. that is like 25 feet away. I see your link. those image are ok if they are close. How about the on the street. You can barely see them and when zooming into the picture it get blurr. Can you tell me what camera you using? and also should I get a 4K camera? I see those 4K camera do not have zoom. I need one with zoom.

how is this camera?

but it doesn't have zoom.
Hi @aboyz

FYI - those 8MP cameras with the 1/2.5" sensors do not do as well at night.. - we should have a few reviews here on ipcamtalk so do feel free to check out the reviews by members.

I see a lot of great input buy others already steering you to a better solution :)

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just installed the Amazon.com: EmpireTech IPC-T5442T-ZE White 4MP IR Vari-Focal Eyeball Starlight Network Camera English Version

and the zoom is not what I expected. I would think it can zoom to the street but. Not close enough. As you can see a before the zoom and after a full zoom. I tried to zoom it to the side walk but The distance of the zoom is not big enough. I'll adjust it tommorrow to do a zoom to the sidewalk.

I may need to return this and get a higher zoom. let me know if anything to fix this zoom? or is this the max?
I think I need one like 40-50 zoom. any know of any camera like that?

thank you

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I told you that you can never have to much zoom! If you need more zoom, go with the Z4E of that model or the 5241-Z12E

You now need to angle that camera to point it at the sidewalk at the street. You have zoomed into the sidewalk at your porch. That is the right spot if you want zoomed into the sidewalk at the porch. If anything you may wanna return the fixed lens cam because I suspect after you see that and the sidewalk at your porch, you will want the view that this camera is now providing...

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I told you that you can never have to much zoom! If you need more zoom, go with the Z4E of that model or the 5241-Z12E

You now need to angle that camera to point it at the sidewalk at the street. You have zoomed into the sidewalk at your porch. That is the right spot if you want zoomed into the sidewalk at the porch. If anything you may wanna return the fixed lens cam because I suspect after you see that and the sidewalk at your porch, you will want the view that this is now providing...
yeah. I'll try it tommorrow to zoom it to the street and see if i can get a clear face.. if not i think my next one is Z4E or the Z12E. thank you.
Can you link me to this two model so i can check out the pricing.

I got one of this one to capture license plate and its pretty good.

I think i should get the same one. for the street.. Do you know of one that is the same wall mount hole? I already drilled the whole and I don't want to drill more hole. so I would need one that is round like the current one and ready to mount?

thank you!!

Last edited:

IReallyLikePizza2

Known around here
Reaction score
5241-Z12E Will get you there, that's for sure. This is 110 feet, still not on max zoom and as you can tell, its focused for LPR, not faces on the sidewalk (Notice how the street is in focus)

LPR-Prestwood-West 2021-02-03 04.30.02.531 PM.jpg

1612407732291.png

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
yeah.. i got the ZE camera that does the samething. so i think I should get those.

take a look at my i cannot find the 5241-Z12E can you link me to it.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like Andy's sale was successful, there are no Z12s on Amazon right now!

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the one. The Z12E has a more powerful zoom (64mm), but is 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor that is smaller than the 4MP ZE (12mm) on a larger 1/1.8" sensor.

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the one. The Z12E has a more powerful zoom (64mm), but is 2MP on a 1/2.8" sensor that is smaller than the 4MP ZE (12mm) on a larger 1/1.8" sensor.
thanks!! what is the zoom for the ZE? i'm planning to get this one as it seem the right fit.

Loryta IPC-B5442E-ZE

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is the same zoom as the camera you have now that you said isn't enough zoom (although you may change your mind when you move the camera up to actually see the sidewalk at the street at full zoom)...the difference is turret versus bullet camera.

If you want more zoom then you need the 5442-Z4E or the 5241-Z12E

aboyz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is the same zoom as the camera you have now that you said isn't enough zoom (although you may change your mind when you move the camera up to actually see the sidewalk at the street at full zoom)...

If you want more zoom then you need the 5442-Z4E or the 5241-Z12E
oh yeah you are right!! the current one i got is the Z4 :)..
how is the zoom on this camera?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just ever so slightly better zoom than the ZE camera, but 6MP on a 1/2.9" sensor and you will be disappointed at night.