Recommendations for home video security system

Reaction score
There is no extra wiring and setup required for blue iris vs an NVR. Wheelchair or not. Blue iris is not complicated and even if it was, the wheelchair would have no bearing, the changes are made with a keyboard, just like you would with an NVR. Most installers are peddling some version of hik/dahua systems. Simply relying on the brand alone is not going to get you far. They both make both good and crappy cameras.
The point is not that my wheelchsir has a bearing on wiring in relation to BI V NVR. its that if I buy a nvr and cameras from an installer at least they will do the installation. That said coukd you recommend a Hikvision nvr and cameras was my request?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The point is not that my wheelchsir has a bearing on wiring in relation to BI V NVR. its that if I buy a nvr and cameras from an installer at least they will do the installation. That said coukd you recommend a Hikvision nvr and cameras was my request?
Installer's will install anything you pay for. Read the wiki. You are not the first person with the same question. I cannot in good conscience recommend any stand-alone nvr.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Anthony Kennedy Go with BI. I bought a camera system with NVR system 3 years ago and never once opened or used it for anything. It is terrible. I didn't like the software it came with the NVR to watch on computer so I looked for alternatives and found BI right away. After looking into a lot of other options BI had most options for best price. Then I found IPCT to set up BI to make it better. I am going to setup a BI machine to run all cameras vs a NVR.

You are lucky that you are finding this information before doing the wrong thing and spending more time and money. I am newb and once you learn how to set up bi is very easy. This person has a nice setup you can follow a bit:
My humble setup so far....

I am not sure how the installers works but they should be able to run wires and install the cameras you purchase. Look at the dahua suggested here with the reviews.

I have always listened to the advice of IPCT and Fenderman a lot and it never steered me wrong and I was never unhappy with their suggestions even when I thought I "knew" best. Go with BI system and you will be very happy with how easy it is once you set it up and the flexibility. NVR will not come close to it.

Reaction score
T
@Anthony Kennedy Go with BI. I bought a camera system with NVR system 3 years ago and never once opened or used it for anything. It is terrible. I didn't like the software it came with the NVR to watch on computer so I looked for alternatives and found BI right away. After looking into a lot of other options BI had most options for best price. Then I found IPCT to set up BI to make it better. I am going to setup a BI machine to run all cameras vs a NVR.

You are lucky that you are finding this information before doing the wrong thing and spending more time and money. I am newb and once you learn how to set up bi is very easy. This person has a nice setup you can follow a bit:
My humble setup so far....

I am not sure how the installers works but they should be able to run wires and install the cameras you purchase. Look at the dahua suggested here with the reviews.

I have always listened to the advice of IPCT and Fenderman a lot and it never steered me wrong and I was never unhappy with their suggestions even when I thought I "knew" best. Go with BI system and you will be very happy with how easy it is once you set it up and the flexibility. NVR will not come close to it.
Thank you really appreciate it. Looking at the BI setup it’s impossible for me physically to even move or hook up my pc let alone do all the wiring. I know installers will wire my cameras but they won’t touch bi or any component to do with bi. Unfortunately this leaves me having to buy an nvr and cameras from the one manufacturer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
T

Thank you really appreciate it. Looking at the BI setup it’s impossible for me physically to even move or hook up my pc let alone do all the wiring. I know installers will wire my cameras but they won’t touch bi or any component to do with bi. Unfortunately this leaves me having to buy an nvr and cameras from the one manufacturer.
If the can wire the cameras to the NVR then then can wire them to a poe switch and connect a single wire to the pc. We get it, you dont want to do it, but dont blame it on the chair or the wiring. Perhaps you should just take the advice of these expert installers you are using.
Why are you being lazy and not reading the cliff notes? All the information is there, you are not the first person to want an NVR and some cameras. There are a literally hundreds threads on this subject. The advice given to you wont be any different that the advice given to the 500 folks before you.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If Anthony is wheelchair-bound he may well be better-off with a Hikvision, Dahua or other system installed by a reputable firm that can and, more importantly, will maintain it for him.

The problem with him having cameras installed by such a firm, then using an NVR solution such as BI, is when something fails. Then the finger-pointing begins. E.g.: He calls. They come out. "Nope. Our stuff all checks out. Must be your stuff. Here's the bill for the service call." And he still has a problem with his system. Not good.

I wonder: Do no pros install turnkey systems using BI on a Windows PC for an NVR?

Reaction score
If the can wire the cameras to the NVR then then can wire them to a poe switch and connect a single wire to the pc. We get it, you dont want to do it, but dont blame it on the chair or the wiring. Perhaps you should just take the advice of these expert installers you are using.
Why are you being lazy and not reading the cliff notes? All the information is there, you are not the first person to want an NVR and some cameras. There are a literally hundreds threads on this subject. The advice given to you wont be any different that the advice given to the 500 folks before you.
I'm not being "lazy" and I'm not "blaming the chair or the wiring". I'm constrained in what I can do so I'm looking for the best solution. I understand you like bi and I'm not discounting bi at all. I'm looking for a solution given the installers won't touch the pc even if it's one wire to connect.

Reaction score
If Anthony is wheelchair-bound he may well be better-off with a Hikvision, Dahua or other system installed by a reputable firm that can and, more importantly, will maintain it for him.

The problem with him having cameras installed by such a firm, then using an NVR solution such as BI, is when something fails. Then the finger-pointing begins. E.g.: He calls. They come out. "Nope. Our stuff all checks out. Must be your stuff. Here's the bill for the service call." And he still has a problem with his system. Not good.

I wonder: Do no pros install turnkey systems using BI on a Windows PC for an NVR?
Thank you this is exactly what I am trying to convey. A Hikvision system (NVR and Cameras) would be installed and fixed if there are any issues by the installer here in Aust. As such looking for the best or at least reliable option on the NVR and Cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

Lots of installers at least the ones that know what they are doing will provide options using a vms. They will support and install it. If he wants the installer to take responsibility for the install, then let the installer choose the system. And more importantly, use someone that has been in business for many years and not a trunk slammer. Just ask the folks here who have had their installer go awol on them despite having installed the system from top to bottom.
Why is it that the "pro" installer cannot recommend a system? Does he not know what is reliable?
It depends what you mean by "pros". Most of these so called "pros" use have very little practical knowledge about networking, ip cameras, network security and security. These incompetent "pros" to this day will install 4mp cams with 1/3" sensors then port forward the NVR for you. Shameful.
They just know the basics of plugging it in and running cable. Lots of folks out there make a living by installing BI. Others install the absolute cheapest solution to make a buck while many install more expensive VMS options. There are many many choices with respect to vms and there is good reason why. The standalone NVR's just dont cut it.
Finally, you as did Anthony completely missed my point, which is, this question has been asked hundreds of times and the answer is on the forum.