Recommendations for outdoor IP camera with good AI

Very helpful to have the diagram. I’ve had good luck with the 10Gtek stuff I would have been surprised if they were the cause of your problem. Luckily now you can take your time and upgrade at your own pace.

Are you planning on using VLANs to manage the traffic in your network?

Very helpful to have the diagram. I’ve had good luck with the 10Gtek stuff I would have been surprised if they were the cause of your problem. Luckily now you can take your time and upgrade at your own pace.

Are you planning on using VLANs to manage the traffic in your network?
That is the plan. I have the extra NIC on the way and several tabs up on Wireguard and VPN setup. It's a bit overwhelming at the moment, but with all the info here on the forum and help from all of you guys, I hope to figure it all out.

Reactions: MTL4
That is the plan. I have the extra NIC on the way and several tabs up on Wireguard and VPN setup. It's a bit overwhelming at the moment, but with all the info here on the forum and help from all of you guys, I hope to figure it all out.

You’ve definitely got a great start so far. The BI system should handle all you can throw at it. Fiber looks solid too. If you are doing VLANs then you definitely do want managed switches to keep the traffic in its own lane and flowing where it’s supposed to go. If you like TP-link then you can just move up to their (business/prosumer level) managed L2/L3 and smart Omada switches (p/n TL-SG2xxx or TL-SG3xxx means it will be a gigabit managed switch) so you can keep tabs on everything centrally. It will save you alot of time and hassle being able to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonnie
You would have to set the camera up specifically to read plates.

Keep in mind that this is a camera dedicated to plates and not an overview camera also. It is as much an art as it is a science. You will need two cameras. For LPR we need to OPTICALLY zoom in tight to make the plate as large as possible. For most of us, all you see is the not much more than a vehicle in the entire frame. Now maybe in the right location during the day it might be able to see some other things, but not at night.

At night, we have to run a very fast shutter speed (1/2,000) and in B/W with IR and the image will be black. All you will see are head/tail lights and the plate. Some people can get away with color if they have enough street lights, but most of us cannot. Here is a representative sample of plates I get at night of vehicles traveling about 45MPH at 175 feet from my 2MP 5241-Z12E camera (that is all that is needed for plates):

1675078711764.png

See the LPR subforum for more details.

Reactions: mat200
Ahhh... okay... I'll need to make some adjustments to this one since I prefer it be my "plate" cam.

The other 4MP x 2 (B180) is more or less my current "overview" camera.

The 45x PTZ that I'm getting will do a bit better for "overview" once I get it, as it will be a tracking vehicles up and down the driveway.

Are you on auto/default settings?

If so, for LPR you have to force a fixed shutter speed. 1/2000 works for most, but some need 1/4000 during the day.

Yes if you are wanting it to capture plates. Dawn and Dusk times that shutter may slow down in instance to 4ms (1/250) and that is too slow to capture a moving plate.

0 - 1 will probably be enough in daytime for low speed LPR

This is .5 below... covered the last 3. Neighbor might get upset if he found out I was advertising his tag number. I already have several others easily identifiable at .5 ... I've moved it to 1 to see how it does.

1720538743077.png

1720538849754.png

You should get a lot of daytime captures, doubtful you’ll do as well at night .as @wittaj mentioned we typically zoom in much more and dedicate a cam for tags.

Hey guys... started a new thread with my new network diagram. Thought it might be better to have it in the correct forum and under separate discussion... if any of you don't mind helping me out. Thanks!

If doing the Vlans on a L2/L3 Switch you do not need the Dual NIC (at least that is how I am set up)
I am still Slowly working toward my final set ups (life has been kicking me in the teeth this year)- So take it with a grain of Salt.

I guess I don't have something set right in my motion alerts for the mailbox camera, but it's picking up and alerting for the gate camera fine.

Here are screenshots of my settings:

1721254266393.png

1721254316313.png

1721254355841.png

1721254465776.png 1721254498800.png

I must be missing something.

Thats odd, didnt think you could run Metadata and IVS at the same time?