Recommendations for outdoor IP camera with good AI

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah there is a network restriction somewhere. I have over 30 cameras on a 4th generation that doesn't exhibit this behavior.

I would still purchase the $2k camera during the sale though.

First let's look at computer. If you disable cameras is the CPU 0%?

Then add one camera and monitor cpu - it should be at 0%. Then add the next and you should be at 0% for your system. If not, then something is going on with that computer. See what is using cpu. Could be an audio driver or NIC driver or maybe you haven't excluded BI from anti-virus.

If the computer checks out then unplug everything from the switches and plug them in one at a time until you see the issue show up and then you know which device it is.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you have a dumb switch you will only be able to see the light on the port. the cam may fall back to 10mbit sync sometime, you wouldnt notice it.

if you have a bit better switch there is a webinterface which may show the stats of the port. it may have high error rate which would be the source of the problem.

the no signal rate may already indicate network problem.
get your network right. no matter if you purchase $50 cam or 2k, both will fail with network problems.

you are located in us, tons of enterprise cheap manged switches on ebay. no excuse using shitty hardware

3rd party antivirus software aka bloatware is another source of problems.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As pointed out in @wittaj post, make certain you have excluded Blue Iris from ANY antivirus that is on that computer.
Including Windows Defender.
As explained in the Blue Iris help file.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's important to note that this happens outside of BI, even when accessing the cameras via their respective IP address, so I don't think it is a BI setting.

When logged into the camera via the IP address, the Substream enlarged plays fine... only the Mainstream is freezing/skipping.
anyone reading ? anyone ?

Reaction score
CPU is at 0% with or without cameras.

BI is excluded from Defender... however, it shouldn't be this since I'm experiencing the issue via the direct IP address outside of BI.

I believe the switches are all good ... TP-Link, which I believe a lot of you use.

Hopefully... bypassing the one switch with all the other devices and having a more direct path will help once I am able to do this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Something I was able to test right now is removing the TRENDnet TEG-S17D 16-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch TEG-S17D from the loop... going straight from the Media Bridge to the TP-Link TL-SG108 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch.

This did not improve the image connecting via the cameras' IP addresses.

Both cameras are connected to a TP-Link TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
>>> Fiber back to house via a Media Bridge >>> TRENDnet TEG-S17D 16-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch TEG-S17D >>> TP-Link TL-SG108 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Network Switch >>> Blue Iris on the Dell Optiplex

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if it is a bad driver for the ethernet port? As a test take it off auto negotiation and force it to 1Gbps

Reaction score
I wonder if it is a bad driver for the ethernet port? As a test take it off auto negotiation and force it to 1Gbps
Not sure how to accomplish this.

Maybe something in here:

1720392542306.png

But don't think that is it because on this computer I get the following speeds, and if the network was limited I would not get those speeds would I?

1720392713818.png

Reaction score
Maybe I should look at getting managed switches so I can see those and control those with the Omada Controller... at least know what they're doing.

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Maybe I should look at getting managed switches so I can see those and control those with the Omada Controller... at least know what they're doing.
It definitely would help in a situation like this. I always use managed switches unless it’s just a pass through for another managed switch and I need more POE ports at a certain location on my main network (ex VOIP or additional wifi access points). All my cameras have fully managed switches which makes troubleshooting stuff like this that much easier. So for instance you could see all the port history for the each connection and it will show you the data transmitted and all the errors/drops. You can also run port tests right from the switch console. Otherwise you’re going to have to do alot of process of elimination to drill down on the root cause. Both ways work just one is alot easier IMHO.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At the same time many of us don't have managed switches and are just fine.

Does that switch have a slider button to either allow longer distances or not talk to other ports? Maybe that is causing an issue.

Maybe IP address conflicts?

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I totally agree. My thought was just if a $2k camera was going in here maybe an upgrade would be useful for managing it all.

Maybe just run Advanced IP Scanner and see if you can pick up all your devices or if there might be a conflict in there?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would suggest one thing at a time.

Dual NIC is the fastest and easiest. Bench test with the two cams. If it works right then you know it is a network issue somewhere.

If it doesn't work then you know it is something with the computer.

duplo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm getting managed switches, a few new cables, and dual NIC for the computer.

I don't see how it can't be a network issue, but we'll find out eventually.
wwwwaaiiit ..

do you have a laptop ?

connect it to the first switch where the cams are on,

then check mainstream.

go to the other switches and check there

report back

in general

you making things complicated. troubleshoot one thing , dont add new devices.

- if you have the same problem with cam webinterface, its either the computer itself or network. first use another computer and check there

... if same problem..

- go to the first switch where the cam is connected, check there with network cable ! no wifi !

... if same problem..

- use a different cable for the camera

.. if same problem..

- plugin the camera directly into the laptop and use external power supply

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tested at the service pole... was still having some issues getting 8162 bitrate on the IPC-B52IR-Z12E-S2 2MP camera... but 4096 ran fine. This was connecting directly to the TP-Link switch with my laptop and cameras. The 4MP IPC-Color4K-B180 ran fine at 8192... no issues. However, I do see on the switch that the left amber light is flashing, which means it is capped at 10/100Mbps. It would be green if it negotiated 1000Mbps. I don't think that was the issue, though, as inside, it works fine at 10240 bitrate, and they are still yellow.

Been running both cameras at 10240 bitrate for over an hour with no issues. I'm running through three switches right now... no issues. Computer>>>switch>>>switch>>> switch>>>two cameras.

1720464444410.png

So the bottleneck for the service pole has to be the two mediabridge connectors and fiber than runs about 1250ft from the house to the pole. That is the only other connection between the cameras and the PC that is not connected right now.

The 1000Mbps lights are on and the 100Mbps lights are off on both ends, but it is bitrate limited nonetheless. This means my cameras at the service pole are going to be limited... not seeing any other options. At least my cameras here at the house should be issue free. I don't think I can justify spending $2K+ for a PTZ to go on the service pole when I won't be able to get it's best perfomance due to bitrate limitations... bummer.

1720464850580.png

MTL4

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s actually really good news! I know there’s lots of ways to do this but if this was my system I’d put a managed switch with an SFP port at both ends of the fiber and cut out the separate media converters entirely. Then if you still have an issue you can have the fiber tested to ensure it was in good shape. This should give you the maximum throughput for that setup and be more than enough to handle any new cameras you want to add to it. It also eliminates additional failure points for you to have to troubleshoot.

My apologies if this was mentioned but was this single mode or multi mode fiber you installed?

Reaction score
It is single-mode fiber.

HOWEVER, when I took the cameras back up to the service pole, I decided to install the 8-port switch instead of going back with the 5-port switch because our gate installer is going to need a port, and if I did figure out a way to get the bitrate up, I'd need one more port. We also have an AP installed there for the gate app. After installing it, I connected my laptop to ensure I had the cameras positioned correctly and noticed they were both running fine at the 10,240 bitrate. I was scratching my head. I got them set and came back to the house. Lo and behold... they are both running on my computer right now at 10,240 bitrate, with no issues. I probably don't need to run them at 10,240 bitrate, but they seem to be working fine right now anyway.

The only thing I can think of is that 5-port switch couldn't handle the media converter, the access point and both cameras, while the 8-port switch is able to. I had the 5-port in the loop here at the house, but all it did not have the converter and AP connected to it. For whatever reasons, on the other end, it wasn't doing the job.

I've reset BI status to see if it holds up without any signal loss over a period of time. Should I set the bitrate back to 8192 on both?

1720475944372.png 1720475990111.png