Record to network share

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know I'm wearing out my welcome but that's the part I don't understand; pointing to the NAS. It doesn't come up as a choice when I choose NETWORK and I can't figure out how or what to enter to provide the Nas address manually.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I know I'm wearing out my welcome but that's the part I don't understand; pointing to the NAS. It doesn't come up as a choice when I choose NETWORK and I can't figure out how or what to enter to provide the Nas address manually.
can you see it if you go through windows explorer?
also try this BlueIris: Record to NAS issues

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can log into the Nas from Explorer, yes. I just don't know how to get BI to upload my clips and stills to it. I tried entering the Mas's ip address in one of the clip archive windows but it would not accept that. I'm sure it a small detail that I just don't quite understand. Once I have this running I'll try to share the info in some step by format. I really appreciate your help here.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I can log into the Nas from Explorer, yes. I just don't know how to get BI to upload my clips and stills to it. I tried entering the Mas's ip address in one of the clip archive windows but it would not accept that. I'm sure it a small detail that I just don't quite understand. Once I have this running I'll try to share the info in some step by format. I really appreciate your help here.
are you saying that it doesnt show up when you hit the ... icon to the right of the address box in clips and archiving?

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
When i click the ... I see some desktop icons and one icon for 'Network'. If I click the network icon I get the blue wheel spinning for a few second but then nothing. I don't see an other choices other than to possibly enter something manually in the box labeled 'Folder', although I would not know just what enter as I mentioned earlier.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When i click the ... I see some desktop icons and one icon for 'Network'. If I click the network icon I get the blue wheel spinning for a few second but then nothing. I don't see an other choices other than to possibly enter something manually in the box labeled 'Folder', although I would not know just what enter as I mentioned earlier.
what exact version of blue iris are you running?

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you for your offer to help. I have retraced all of my steps. This should be simple enough: I have a new user account on my NAS with a simple user name & password with admin rights. I have created a new account on Win 10 with that very same user name & password also with admin rights. I changed the settings in the Blue Iris Service window and it accepted them suggesting a "stop and restart" before they would tale effect. I did that. I have tried rebooting to my original Win 10 account and also tried my NEW Win10 account (the one that matches the Synology User account) and then opening BI but in either case when I click the... in Clips and Archiving I get this window (see photo) and do not know what to do, if anything, from here. I had assumed that I should click on the Network icon to locate the desired Synology folder for my clips but as I mentioned last night I just get the 'blue spinner' for a few seconds and then nothing.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your offer to help. I have retraced all of my steps. This should be simple enough: I have a new user account on my NAS with a simple user name & password with admin rights. I have created a new account on Win 10 with that very same user name & password also with admin rights. I changed the settings in the Blue Iris Service window and it accepted them suggesting a "stop and restart" before they would tale effect. I did that. I have tried rebooting to my original Win 10 account and also tried my NEW Win10 account (the one that matches the Synology User account) and then opening BI but in either case when I click the... in Clips and Archiving I get this window (see photo) and do not know what to do, if anything, from here. I had assumed that I should click on the Network icon to locate the desired Synology folder for my clips but as I mentioned last night I just get the 'blue spinner' for a few seconds and then nothing.
try this BI and NAS

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fenderman: That very last tip from "Micropone" that you kindly directed me to worked for me! I have attached a screen shot below of what I did in the Clips and Archiving window. He included the word "public" in his line but since I did not understand why I tried it both with and without. 'Without' worked for me. My Synology file manager window shows BVR clips in the correct folder with a couple of jpegs. I suppose at this point I should take your advice and clone all of my cameras to direct to my original internal drive so that they will backup there as well. Does this still make sense and does this create a dangerous workload for my I7 processor to then have to deal with all 13 cameras X 2 in terms of additional workload? None of them record full time, just motion detection, but I thought it might be a consideration. The cams are all between 2-4 meg each.

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman: That very last tip from "Micropone" that you kindly directed me to worked for me! I have attached a screen shot below of what I did in the Clips and Archiving window. He included the word "public" in his line but since I did not understand why I tried it both with and without. 'Without' worked for me. My Synology file manager window shows BVR clips in the correct folder with a couple of jpegs. I suppose at this point I should take your advice and clone all of my cameras to direct to my original internal drive so that they will backup there as well. Does this still make sense and does this create a dangerous workload for my I7 processor to then have to deal with all 13 cameras X 2 in terms of additional workload? None of them record full time, just motion detection, but I thought it might be a consideration. The cams are all between 2-4 meg each.
You should not have jpegs in that folder, it should just be the bvr file, unless you setup snapshots as well.
Cloning cameras does not add any significant cpu usage as on one stream is actually decoded. Remember to hide the duplicate cams so they dont appear twice on the interface.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At one point I did select something relating to jpegs with the idea that I could have them sent to my cloud or whatever. I'll have to clean that up. Glad to hear that the cloned cameras won't melt my PC. Also, good tip to hide them. I might not have thought of that right away. I really appreciate all of your help. I could not have figured this out without you. If you don't mind I'd like to pull together all of these tips from here and there, and better clarify a few things for the less experienced users (like myself), and then post a thread on the forum. I'll wait until I am certain that it's all doing what I want with cloned cams, etc.

Thanks again, Fenderman! "Remember: You're not paranoid if everybody really is out to get you". (Fox Mulder)

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It looks like I still have one small issue with my NAS setup: The NAS is now storing my clips just fine. I am able to view them via my Android App as well a PC or MAC browser (I love this feature and just started using it very recently!). However, I am no longer able to view my clips or alerts from the PC that I have installed the Blue Iris Application on. I read a comment in the help files that seemed to suggest that clips could not be viewed from the local computer, which seems odd if in fact I read it correctly. I am thoroughly confused by how the file system works relating to clip storage, folder names, etc. and just can't get my head around it yet. I hope to with time but for now I am hoping that there will be a way to view my clips directly from my primary PC. I suppose that this problem could be solved by cloning all of my cameras and saving to a local drive as Fenderman suggested but I am hoping to find a work in the interim. (waiting on new drives, etc.)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like I still have one small issue with my NAS setup: The NAS is now storing my clips just fine. I am able to view them via my Android App as well a PC or MAC browser (I love this feature and just started using it very recently!). However, I am no longer able to view my clips or alerts from the PC that I have installed the Blue Iris Application on. I read a comment in the help files that seemed to suggest that clips could not be viewed from the local computer, which seems odd if in fact I read it correctly. I am thoroughly confused by how the file system works relating to clip storage, folder names, etc. and just can't get my head around it yet. I hope to with time but for now I am hoping that there will be a way to view my clips directly from my primary PC. I suppose that this problem could be solved by cloning all of my cameras and saving to a local drive as Fenderman suggested but I am hoping to find a work in the interim. (waiting on new drives, etc.)
I dont see why you cant view from the pc...something else is going on here. I would email support.

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
At the moment the clips are being saved to a folder on the NAS that is simply called "blueiris". Could it be that the folder has to have a different name or folder within that would identify it uniquely to the PC?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At the moment the clips are being saved to a folder on the NAS that is simply called "blueiris". Could it be that the folder has to have a different name or folder within that would identify it uniquely to the PC?
I dont know...I dont have any machines recording to nas..try creating one addtional folder within the blue iris folder and see if it changes anything. blueiris\video for example and point the folder to the video folder...you will have to rebuild the database

CDAPete

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll give that a try thank. It's odd that I can access everything from a browser or phone app but not the PC itself. I'll post my results.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you running a virus firewall software on your bi PC. If so what type and version.
Try turning the virus software off, then see if you have the problem.