Recording Nest cameras with Blue Iris

fastsvo

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey @fastsvo or anyone

How did you get the NEST HELLO to work with BI?? I tried above youtube hack and couldnt find the rtsp/stream/link to get blue iris to work.
I had to upgrade to v4.8.2.5 for it to finally work (better) and get a some what constant feed from my Nest hello. I have my https link copied over from my nest "sharing" option and then set the Make = Nest/Dropcam and Model = RTMPS via public page, RTSP post = 443. It's a definite improvement (increased resolution and FPS) from the previous work around but its still has signal dropout occurrences throughout the day.

Hope this helps!

christoman

n3wb
Reaction score
@fastsvo - how bad/frequent are the dropouts? do you still need to maintain a Nest subscription for this to work? considering this as an alternative to the RCA camera - as there don't seem to be many reliable options for BI right now.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fastsvo - how bad/frequent are the dropouts? do you still need to maintain a Nest subscription for this to work? considering this as an alternative to the RCA camera - as there don't seem to be many reliable options for BI right now.
This will always have problems and never work well. If you insist on a doorbell camera and dont want to do it right with a sip enabled doorbell then have a camera at the door and use the nest independently. Remember the nest does not stream locally. In effect the video is sent to the cloud then back to your blue iris machine. This can cause you to exceed your data limits and also makes the doorbell reliant on an internet connection.

christoman

n3wb
Reaction score
@fenderman completely understand. i don't really have a spot to put an independent camera and none of the options (like the RCA one) seem great based upon what i see in this forum. i don't think i have a data cap, but yes, would prefer to stream over my LAN and not up to the cloud and back. i do like that with Nest you can use Google Assistant devices as chimes, which is a nice feature. if i could get a decent deal, maybe this could be a reasonable interim solution until better options emerge.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman completely understand. i don't really have a spot to put an independent camera and none of the options (like the RCA one) seem great based upon what i see in this forum. i don't think i have a data cap, but yes, would prefer to stream over my LAN and not up to the cloud and back. i do like that with Nest you can use Google Assistant devices as chimes, which is a nice feature. if i could get a decent deal, maybe this could be a reasonable interim solution until better options emerge.
These wifi doorbells will never work right...you need a hardwired device. There are lots of them. Pay someone to run ethernet.

christoman

n3wb
Reaction score
I have no issues, so far, either. For this use case, I am willing to live with wifi and traversal up and down from the cloud. Love the Google Home and Smart Display integration and phone notifications. Seems to capture everything well to BI.

TRusselo

n3wb
Reaction score
I refuse to pay for cloud recording of my two Nest cameras and had been pleased to be able to add them to Blue Iris using a technique I found last year on YouTube.

But a recent update (Nov. 2017) of Blue Iris software made my two Nest cameras unavailable-- the URL's for the two cameras I had been previously using no longer worked.

Previously, I had navigated with Google Chrome to the public URL for each Nest camera and then inspected the source code to find the UUID (as instructed in a YouTube video). This method stopped working for me with the latest Blue Iris update.

Blue Iris says it supports RTMPS, but I could not find an RTMPS string when I searched the source code with Google Chrome.

HOWEVER, when I entered the public URL for my Nest cameras into the Microsoft Edge browser and chose "inspect element" and then searched for "rtmps", I found a string of code that could be cut and pasted into the Blue Iris Network IP camera configuration. It worked perfectly. The RTSP port and ONVIF port were set automatically without any intervention from me.

The address looks like this: rtmps://stream-us1-alfa.dropcam.com/nexus/(a long string of letters and numbers). RTSP port 443, ONVIF port 8999.

I hope this helps.
It is now MUCH easier.
no special UUID needed, no searching source code...
just need regular public address from nest!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZvfiqEDJV8LwKoB69

TRusselo

n3wb
Reaction score
Does this still work? Does not for me but may have the "Me" problem. What I assume is the "Public Page" has a different address now. Am I wrong about the page? Here is what I grab when I open up my page in browser. Is this wrong URL?
https://home.nest.com/camera/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
well considering i posted the screenshot on Aug 7, yeah it still works.
Do you have public access turned on in NEST? thats where you get/check the public address
Whatever address NEST gives you, use in blue iris. and wait 5 minutes.
mine started working after a couple minutes and has not stopped!

Wyreless

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that prompt response appreciate that. You know how it goes with technology, what worked yesterday can be defunct the next. Im gonna check into your additional info. Thanks again

NOTE: You are THE MAN. Thats the info I needed.

Last edited:

pmcross

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
well considering i posted the screenshot on Aug 7, yeah it still works.
Do you have public access turned on in NEST? thats where you get/check the public address
Whatever address NEST gives you, use in blue iris. and wait 5 minutes.
mine started working after a couple minutes and has not stopped!
Thanks for this. This helped me tremendously with my new Nest Hello doorbell since Nest removed the RTMPS URL from the source page of the public feed. I know that Nest isn't the best based on their cloud model, but until IP camera doorbells evolve without the fish eye, I plan on keeping my Nest Hello's. Thanks again!

freddyq

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FWIW I have a few Google/Nest smart devices around the home so if I have the Nest Hello it would add some useful conveniences like my smart display automatically displaying who is at the door when the doorbell is rung so I can do a quick check and being able to create smart routines and automations using doorbell ring events and motion.

Until IP camera doorbells advance to this stage I can't see a dedicated front door camera being a like for like replacement although I totally accept and agree that for camera performance you can't beat a proper IP cam.

It's for that reason I am looking at the Nest Hello even though I chose IP cams over the Nest Cams for surveillance around my property. I just want to be able to record the Nest Hello video footage to my BI PC in case I need to use it and also to scroll through events...without paying for the Nest subscription.