Recycling HDD in NVR

bym007

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
My Dahua NVR has started throwing bad sector errors on internal disk. I have a spare WD Red 4TB disk sitting, which has been in light NAS use, but has no SMART errors.
Can there be any issues with putting this disk in the NVR ?
Cheers

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most big box stores put in lessor quality HDDs than that and they work for awhile.

It won't last as long as a surveillance rated drive, but then again before I knew any better and was using big box store NVRs with cheap drives, the drive always outlasted the NVR. I think it was a red in one of mine and that got recycled into 3 NVRs over a 6 year period LOL. But that was recording motion only and not 24/7 either.

bym007

n3wb
Reaction score
If I am buying new, whats between WD Purple and Seagate Skyhawk for a 4 or 6 TB disk?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If I am buying new, whats between WD Purple and Seagate Skyhawk for a 4 or 6 TB disk?
My NVR has had a 2TB Seagate skyhawk for 2 years now. It's run fine, no random glitching during playback. This is running is a fairly warm environment.
I have also got a 6TB now.

I think anything over 4TB starts to go into the 'enterprise' grade drives, as my 6TB skyhawk has included data recovery with the purchase price.

bym007

n3wb
Reaction score
I opened the NVR and it had a Seagate Skyhawk 4TB disk in there. Surprised to see it going down in less than 3 years.
Anyhow, I have ordered a WD Purple now.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
WD purples are well worth it! Last over twice as long in a DVR

You might try recycling your old DVR drive in your PC.
I have found windows will mark the sectors bad and still use the drive. Would not use it for really important stuff, but
I have 2 drives that are still working in a PC 3-4 years after they had the bad sector error in a NVR.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
My Dahua NVR has started throwing bad sector errors on internal disk.
If bad sectors are showing up externally on normal operations, it may be that the 'reallocated sectors' pool has been fully used up.
Sectors found with errors are usually re-mapped by the drive itself and don't show externally.

Check the SMART attributes for impending failure counts such as reallocated sectors, pending sectors, uncorrectable sectors etc.