Remind me again...why is BI causing motion detect to enable when you click "OK" in cam settings?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
When you click the OK button on any tab of the individual camera settings in BI it causes the previously non-checked box for motion detection to get checked and saved in a Dahua cam. Whenever you click OK in BI you have to go back to the cams setting and uncheck motion detection then save it. I was under the impression that data flowed one way with regard to BI...BI receives data from the cam but BI doesn't issue commands to the cams.

Untitled.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
When you click the OK button on any tab of the individual camera settings in BI it causes the previously non-checked box for motion detection to get checked and saved in a Dahua cam. Whenever you click OK in BI you have to go back to the cams setting and uncheck motion detection then save it. I was under the impression that data flowed one way with regard to BI...BI receives data from the cam but BI doesn't issue commands to the cams.

View attachment 55528
Blue iris can certainly send commands to cameras, depending on the model/brand. That is the primary purpose of the schedule event option in blue iris. Its obviously sending a command that the camera interprets to enable motion detection. The most basic command is your PTZ commands, but there are others, IR, gain, shutter, contrast etc

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll ask Ken if he has an idea what could be causing it to enable motion detection.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll ask Ken if he has an idea what could be causing it to enable motion detection.
A couple others of us have discussed this happening with our Dahua's and BI but we (I did) chalked it up to a Dahua glitch - maybe it is BI doing it though.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
A couple others of us have discussed this happening with our Dahua's and BI but we (I did) chalked it up to a Dahua glitch - maybe it is BI doing it though.
If you open up the Dahua cam settings and verify it is unchecked then go to BI and open up the cam settings there, without changing any of the cam settings in BI just click the OK button...then check the Dahua cam settings and you see that it is now checked.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It may have something to do with BI; not sure. Some of my previous Dahuas did this....uncheck the box, hit ok, then exit the camera broswer...go back in and it's often checked. The workaround was to leave it checked but make sure the "area" on that same page is cleared out (no motion zone).

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I noticed that onvif device manager enables motion detection on my dahua cameras whenever a camera is merely selected. This makes me wonder if it's a dahua bug. I would be good to know if the same behavior happens with other make cameras running with BI.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you open up the Dahua cam settings and verify it is unchecked then go to BI and open up the cam settings there, without changing any of the cam settings in BI just click the OK button...then check the Dahua cam settings and you see that it is now checked.
Yup, you're right. I had my one Dahua camera settings (4431R-Z) open and disabled motion detection. Just simply "restarted" that cam in BI and the motion detection box became rechecked. Tried it a bunch of times and the same thing. So it is BI somehow doing it.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With the Dahua motion changing, the motion enable in the camera. Make sre that the Get ONVIF trigger event and the Use Pull point substitution are both unchecked.

I tested on a Dahau with these checked and it set motion to enable in the camera. I tested with these uncheck and it did not happen. Need to do more testing. Sometimes the pullpoint is check but grayed out.

I was also getting Events: subscription 8000ffff in the log file, this is what pointed me to the pullpoint.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
With the Dahua motion changing, the motion enable in the camera. Make sre that the Get ONVIF trigger event and the Use Pull point substitution are both unchecked.

I tested on a Dahau with these checked and it set motion to enable in the camera. I tested with these uncheck and it did not happen. Need to do more testing. Sometimes the pullpoint is check but grayed out.

I was also getting Events: subscription 8000ffff in the log file, this is what pointed me to the pullpoint.
Many of us are using the IVS features of the Dahua cams so we want the normal Dahua motion disabled then set up our IVS rules. Within BI we make sure that "ONVIF and PullPointSubscription is enabled" and "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" is enabled" so that we can utilized Dahua IVS. I don't know any other way to get Dahua and BI to work together for IVS capability.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us are using the IVS features of the Dahua cams so we want the normal Dahua motion disabled then set up our IVS rules. Within BI we make sure that "ONVIF and PullPointSubscription is enabled" and "Camera's digital input or motion alarm" is enabled" so that we can utilized Dahua IVS. I don't know any other way to get Dahua and BI to work together for IVS capability.
There are two workarounds for this issue. @bleepsilver mentioned the easiest one in post #6, IMO. The other one is to use a Blue Iris "Run Action" Alert to run a CURL command that connects to the camera and issues the command to disable motion detection. With that, motion detection will fire once after BI reconnects to the camera, then is disabled until the next time BI reconnects.

My vote is that this is a Dahua issue. Like @tigerwillow1 mentioned, if you run the "ONVIF Device Manager" program, when it connects to a Dahua camera and subscribes to PullPoint, the Dahua camera suddenly has motion detection enabled (just like with Blue Iris). My Hikvision cameras do not wind up with motion detection enable when either the Blue Iris/ONVIF Device Manager apps connect and use PullPointSubscription.

When I emailed Ken about this a little over a year ago, he indicated that the proper way to handle this would be to choose which specific ONVIF/PullPointSubscription alerts to trigger on, but he had some bigger things to work on first. So his solution sounds like it works around the fact that motion detection somehow gets enabled on Dahua cameras when PullPointSubscriptions are used.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
My vote is that this is a Dahua issue. Like @tigerwillow1 mentioned, if you run the "ONVIF Device Manager" program, when it connects to a Dahua camera and subscribes to PullPoint, the Dahua camera suddenly has motion detection enabled (just like with Blue Iris). My Hikvision cameras do not wind up with motion detection enable when either the Blue Iris/ONVIF Device Manager apps connect and use PullPointSubscription.
Is this something to bring to Andy's attention and see if he can have a discussion with the engineers at Dahua...or is that a waste of time?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just to add to this.. I have the same behavior with a Dahua SD49225XA-HNR. I'm experimenting as I had it setup and running on IVS triggers great for a few days before I connected BI to it. Once I added it as a camera in BI the camera started missing IVS events and randomly rebooting every hour or so. I disconnected BI and the camera still acted up with reboots and missed IVS rules until a factory default was applied. I'm working with @Wildcat_1 on this issue as this camera has some known bugs in the firmware.

Has anyone tried creating a user in the camera's web UI just for BI and play with limiting permissions there?

My ultimate goal would be what others on here seem to be going for: have the camera IVS rules do all of the tripwire/intrusion/event detection and move presets based on those. Then have BI just receive those events to trigger recordings/alerts. With the only actual control of the camera from BI being manually moving the PTZ around when you want to take a look around. I also want BI to be able to send preset commands as requested by my home automation from doors opening and such but my camera has preset issues so that's not going to work until the firmware is fixed.

Edit: Here is the other post discussing this re-enabled motion detection issue: Using IVS rules in BI for PTZ Camera

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to add to this.. I have the same behavior with a Dahua SD49225XA-HNR. I'm experimenting as I had it setup and running on IVS triggers great for a few days before I connected BI to it. Once I added it as a camera in BI the camera started missing IVS events and randomly rebooting every hour or so. I disconnected BI and the camera still acted up with reboots and missed IVS rules until a factory default was applied. I'm working with @Wildcat_1 on this issue as this camera has some known bugs in the firmware.
Just putting this out there in case you or someone else is doing what I used to do. I don't have my Dahua PTZ anymore, but If I recall correctly, I used to get similar wonky behavior if I set schedules for IVS rules. I used to have a different set of IVS rules between day and night; further, I'd even schedule some IVS rules by the hour if shadows were causing my PTZ to false track. After several loops of rebooting/resetting to factory default and re-configuring the schedules, I stopped that practice altogether and used one set of rules around the clock....both the PTZ and BI alerts remained stable after that.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Just putting this out there in case you or someone else is doing what I used to do. I don't have my Dahua PTZ anymore, but If I recall correctly, I used to get similar wonky behavior if I set schedules for IVS rules. I used to have a different set of IVS rules between day and night; further, I'd even schedule some IVS rules by the hour if shadows were causing my PTZ to false track. After several loops of rebooting/resetting to factory default and re-configuring the schedules, I stopped that practice altogether and used one set of rules around the clock....both the PTZ and BI alerts remained stable after that.
I wish that was my case. I’m not using any scheduling for my rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
It may have something to do with BI; not sure. Some of my previous Dahuas did this....uncheck the box, hit ok, then exit the camera broswer...go back in and it's often checked. The workaround was to leave it checked but make sure the "area" on that same page is cleared out (no motion zone).
And for good measure set the Threshold to 100% and the Sensitivity to 0%.