Remote viewing cameras

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
And a couple of questions came to mind - it seems that this forum recommends Blue Iris over an NVR

Is it easy to remote view? For example if I'm not home and want to look around, is it easier via one option or the other?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
And a couple of questions came to mind - it seems that this forum recommends Blue Iris over an NVR

Is it easy to remote view? For example if I'm not home and want to look around, is it easier via one option or the other?
Both are the same for making a secure remote connection.. the Blue Iris mobile app and web server are miles ahead of any NVR. If you're on the fence I suggest you buy an NVR then when you're ready to throw it against the wall move to Blue Iris you'll appreciate it more.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Both are the same for making a secure remote connection.. the Blue Iris mobile app and web server are miles ahead of any NVR. If you're on the fence I suggest you buy an NVR then when you're ready to throw it against the wall move to Blue Iris you'll appreciate it more.
haha I like you sense of humor @fenderman lol

OK BI it is then. thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The correct standalone PC , correctly configured for BI will use less power than an NVR. You can get a PC off of EBAY for between $100 and $150.

Please read the cliff notes in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks

TBH I just didn't like the idea of a big power PC sitting there all day and on...but everything else sounds good
Modern PC'S use very little power. Under average lows you're talking about forty or so Watts...even if you Max the PC to 100% load your at 80 Watts or so for a modern i5. As I suggested earlier please by yourself the NVR otherwise you will be bitching and moaning about blue iris and wondering what if. So by the NVR and learn from your mistakes.

Alan Carter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Modern PC'S use very little power. Under average lows you're talking about forty or so Watts...even if you Max the PC to 100% load your at 80 Watts or so for a modern i5. As I suggested earlier please by yourself the NVR otherwise you will be bitching and moaning about blue iris and wondering what if. So by the NVR and learn from your mistakes.
:p

Thanks @fenderman - gotta go PC Shopping!