Reolink cameras poor performance

asmail923

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, looking for some ideas of what to try. I have recently installed 4 Reolink cameras and the performance is shocking. I've been trying different things for a few days but getting nowhere really. Issues are very poor fps, intermittent gray/green screens in recordings.

PC System is i7-8700K with ssd and hdd, 32gb ram
Cameras are connected via POE switch

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to change the title to reolink cameras poor performance. These cameras are not compatible with blue iris and have many issues. There are many threads that discuss this problem.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, bad choice...here is a recent thread with all the links you need....

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the compatibility issues it has with Blue Iris, here is an example from their marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture. Could this provide anything useful for the police? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - in between the two columns:

1613251115189.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the camera can't see you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here is you camera status:

1614699954625.png

Even though you have set it for 15FPS, look at what the camera is doing - dropped some down to below 1FPS but none are 15FPS. Now look at your key - that is the iframes. Blue Iris works best when the FPS and the iframes match. Now this is a ratio, so it should be a 1 if it matches the FPS. Your iframes not matching (that you cannot fix or change with a reolink) is why they miss motion in Blue Iris and why you are having problems. Read up on iframes and how they cause motion to be missed. This is partly why you are having issues with these cameras and there are many threads showing the issues people have with this manufacturer and Blue Iris.

The Blue Iris developer has indicated that for best reliability, sub stream frame rate should be equal to the main stream frame rate and yours do not do that and there is nothing you can do about that with these cameras... And the iframe rates should equal the FPS (something these cameras do not allow you to set), but at worse case be no more than double. Yours are at a keyrate of 0.24 means that the iframe rates are over 4 times the FPS and that is why motion is a disaster with these cameras and Blue Iris...A value of 0.5 or less is considered insufficient to trust for motion triggers reliably...

asmail923

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've spent the last few hours testing using the Reolink app rather than BI. Cameras work flawlessly, quality is fantastic and motion triggers are working perfect. I don't have all the BI functionality that I was hoping for but at least I not totally wasted my money hahaha....

Thanks again.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I've spent the last few hours testing using the Reolink app rather than BI. Cameras work flawlessly, quality is fantastic and motion triggers are working perfect. I don't have all the BI functionality that I was hoping for but at least I not totally wasted my money hahaha....

Thanks again.
Please post some night video of these cameras working flawlessly and motion triggers working perfectly.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again.
Hi @asmail923

We have numerous questions of how you define "flawless" ...

asmail923

n3wb
Reaction score
"....We have numerous questions of how you define "flawless"...." hahaha well with BI I was like a blurry ghost, if it recorded at all.

I've attached a video I've just done, cameras are set to record on motion, which they did.

Attachments

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
"....We have numerous questions of how you define "flawless"...." hahaha well with BI I was like a blurry ghost, if it recorded at all.

I've attached a video I've just done, cameras are set to record on motion, which they did.
Thanks @asmail923

Still image looks clean ( as we know, Reolink optimizes for still images )

1614720552739.png

Moving objects are blurry... even those near the camera

1614720676410.png

1614720456790.png

1614720489594.png

When you paused in front of the camera we had a much better image, still imho should have been better.

asmail923

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone share some footage of what is possible from a camera at night? I'm a newbie and all I know is what I had when trying BI and what I have now. I don't really know what is possible.

Thanks in advance

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Look at these reviews. Most contain both night and day video from each camera.

Review - Loryata (Dahua OEM) IPC-T5442T-ZE varifocal Turret

Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ Turret

Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Turret, Full Color, Starlight+)

Review: IPC-HDBW5442R-ASE-NI - Dahua Technology Pro AI Bullet Network Camera

2231 Review
Review-OEM IPC-T2231RP-ZS 2mp Varifocal Turret Starlight Camera

3241T-ZAS Review

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do not see any of that video being useful for police. You will be able to tell them something happened, but not enough to do anything with...

Here is a great post @samplenhold posted when they had some door checkers come through. Check out his image compared to his neighbor across the street with a Ring. If you cannot capture stills like this, the video is useless:

My area is not 'full of burglars' either. But we do get the few door checkers come by now and then. The feeling of being violated, and then having cams that record the incident, but are not good enough to give the police any help, is the worst feeling.

In one incident here thin 2019, the guy down the street had his pickup truck rummaged through one night when he forgot to lock it. He had three Arlo cams record the whole thing. But none of the video was worth anything. Yes you could see someone go to his truck, open the door, get in and take some stuff, but you could not get any facial shots or even tell the color of the clothing. His wife was pissed: "So you spent a grand on those cams and you can't even tell if it was a guy or a girl?!!"

This is the pic of one of the guys that hit the neighborhood that night checking my door, but it was locked. I gave the video and stills to the police and the cop says "Yeah, I know that guy".

door checker1.JPGdoor checker2.JPG

Back last April, a door checker hit several cars and took quit a bit of stuff. I caught a good profile of him in my driveway and gave it to the police. They posted it on their Facebook page and in a day he was ID'd and arrested. My neighbor's cam across the street, a Ring, gave a really crappy shot with lots of blur and false color. He was hiding from a pickup truck that was coming down the street.

4-15-2020 4-13-02am.jpg Jims RING cam shot.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone share some footage of what is possible from a camera at night? I'm a newbie and all I know is what I had when trying BI and what I have now. I don't really know what is possible.

Thanks in advance
Hi @asmail923

Again, thanks for sharing the image capture. Illustrates the issues well.

If you are on a tight budget you can try a Amcrest 5MP turret camera which should do significantly better than the Reolink. ( IP5M-T1179EW-36MM which I like better or IP5M-T1179EW-28MM which gives a wider view )

If you can afford it, most of us like the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor Dahua OEM cameras ( Hikvision some like also.. )