Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ljw2k also has some of the best lighting conditions of anyone here. And that camera is a much better camera than the one you are proposing. There is no comparison between the 8MP on the 1/1.2" sensor of that camera and the 4MP on the smaller sensor you are looking at, even if they are both called ColorVu. The 1/1.2" sensor blows away any other sensor.

Do you see a lot of dark grass here that will absorb the light in that photo compared to yours? No he has reflective tile instead of grass. He has a lot of light color ground and buildings to bounce light off of. Do you have LED ornamental lighting to help - doesn't appear you do? Also we do not see if this picture is with a shutter wide open resulting in motion blur? Anyone can make a still image look good. Your reolinks produce a good static image with no motion in it.

All you have is a streetlight that will be way behind the subject and then a PIR light that comes on when motion triggers it. That will result in delayed detection capabilities. You over-estimate how quickly these cameras can respond to a changing light condition. If you have the reos up still, go out with a flashlight and shine it into the camera and see how long it takes for the camera to recover. A perp will be out of the image before the camera adjusts to new light.

Most people here start out with motion activated lights and then eventually go with just leaving them on all the time because of the problems it causes the cameras. So are you ok with leaving that light on all-night if that is what it will take for the ColorVu camera to work properly? If not, then we suggest you look into a camera with IR.

Re-read @Sphinxicus post above on his experience with a ColorVu camera in a similar situation as yours.

We look forward to your nighttime video with motion.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another victim....

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the end I've gone for the Hikvision DS-2CD2047G2-LU. The mini dome version was out of stock and the black version not available anywhere, so when I saw a bullet version going cheap on ebay, I went for that. I'll upload some sample images when I receive a delivery or something when dark. Was 'hoping' that the thief might visit again, but he hasn't yet! I'm happy with the camera, it does everything I'm looking for. Noticeable drop in resolution from the Reolink but as we know that's not the most important thing.

Front Door-20211103-0113117662 (1).jpg

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@spacem - would you rather have higher resolution and ghosting/see through people that is useless, or lower resolution but can get a clean capture to identify the person lol.

With that said, that camera should be doing better.

What are you using for coding and bitrate? Any backlighting on?

I would suggest H264 without the + or any other codec, CBR instead of VBR, and a bitrate of at least 8192. Or maybe it is out of focus for the field of view you have (yes even though it is a fixed cam it does have a sweet spot for focus and many have taken the cam apart and adjusted the focus manually to their field of view).

Now keep in mind as well, you now have a full color camera that is backlit compared to a camera that had IR and blasting light towards the field of view.

And what settings to you have for shutter speed, FPS, frame rates, etc. or are you using default/auto settings? The last thing you want is that perp come back and you still do not have usable video...

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's H265 at 8192 CBR and it's fixed 4mm. Shutter speed is 1/25. Backlight is off. It's far FAR darker out there in real life than it seems from the image, so that's why it doesn't look pin sharp. Produces a good identifiable pic at the range that want, particularly when the PIR activated entrance light comes on. I've read on here that 1/25 shutter will cause ghosting and blur, but I've not had issues. My choice to have no IR or LED lighting obviously means compromises but I'm happy with the result and the camera does what I want, within my budget.

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
"@spacem

do you have any video of persons moving like on the old vid? "

Not yet in the dark (prefer not to show my neighbours so waiting for a delivery driver etc).

Another thing to point out on the Reolinks, when I tried to take off the metal SD card cover on one of the cameras, the screw threaded very easily and I had to drill it out causing all kinds of damage. The camera was wrecked, but not an issue as I was returning. I received a full refund very fast.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In the following thread:
Is reolink a swear word here?

@user8963 posted the following w/regards to Reolink, insightful info here:

Also their support is full of lies and they will stop answering you at a certain point.
If you ask too much on their reddit sub how you can improve the image / why AI features are not as advertised / why you cannot change shutter/gain / why they removed features / why you cannot change iframe...
you get this:

View attachment 107597

They remove everything and everyone which is not "i like reolink" or people who questions wrong things.
They want to live in their own echo chamber.

Even worse.. if you dont buy on amazon you cannot return your order. they claim that you can but they do not provide you a returning address if you order direct from them. There are people who had to open a chargeback claim on their creditcard to return the reoshit. They only care if you buy on amazon, because they cannot really control whats posted there.

even at day some reolink models tends to blurr because you cannot set any shutter settings and they are running at >50ms / 100 gain at DAY (ok maybe a bit exaggerated). this will give you a bright image for sure, but also blurr.
yesterday someone posted a video of cars at around 50kmh/30mph ... they started to blurr at daytime

also unchangeable iframe intervall will give you some problems even using reolink nvr with moving objects even at daytime.

They are asking for help on reddit reoshit-sub and they will always get the same answers:

Update firmware, you are the fault, my reolink is fine, never seen this, update firmware, reset, change sd card, wifi signal problems, faulty camera

LOL

Look at this poor shit (motion trigger recording):
View attachment 107593

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

This was from a clip that I posted. After speaking to neighbours, managed to get footage from their cameras (never knew there was so many cameras on my street until we started chatting about our recent regular visitor!) The guy in the image is white.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Does he have two legs or is he missing the leg below the knee LOL.

What cameras did your neighbors have to make out the color? Was that all they could make out or did they get a clean capture?

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I meant to post that in the other thread :confused: never mind. Not sure what cameras my neighbours have. Some look like Eufy type and they got a better picture (though far better light due to closer street lighting. The clear picture was further down the street and I didn't speak to the owner directly, I was shown it by another neighbour. They think it's the same guy who was visiting last year though I wasn't aware of those incidents. Apparently they posted face pic on Facebook and got an ID which they past on to the Police.

spacem

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Had another visit from my friend this evening. Unfortunately he didn't try my car so he didn't come too close to the camera, but the picture is a vast improvement on the Reolink camera. Bear in mind that it is far darker in real life than it appears in the clip and this is with no IR or LED on the camera.

Front Door-20211119-0123376860.jpgFront Door-20211119-0124017129.jpgFront Door-20211119-0124090633.jpgFront Door-20211119-0125241947.jpg

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had another visit from my friend this evening. Unfortunately he didn't try my car so he didn't come too close to the camera, but the picture is a vast improvement on the Reolink camera. Bear in mind that it is far darker in real life than it appears in the clip and this is with no IR or LED on the camera.

View attachment 108978View attachment 108979View attachment 108980View attachment 108981
Great shot @spacem

FYI - anyone who has a Reolink and 4MP 1/1.8" or even a 8MP 1/1.8" sensor cameras, we greatly appreciated any comparison videos of moving suspect you can share.