Reolink - good & bad

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Think what you'd like but money is money. dahua knew I did not make a purchase and I was looking to do so and they got back to me quickly and were very friendly.

Yes this is true, I placed tape over the IR LEDs and it worked great, the photo is still very clear at night. With only some minor blur with cars, people are clear though.

Reolink isn't so bad after having it for close to a month, it has a decent picture, the apps are easy to use and there is no setup or learning curve. Dahua seems to be 10000000% better but not many need all those features.

I will not state or say reolink is the greatest but for the price and what you might be using it for it might work for you.

I might start with this and compare it to the reolink:
Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP 50M IR Support PoE Built-in Mic Network Dome Camera | eBay
Sorry but that dahua and reolink are both junk... I just don't wanna see you waste your money

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry but that dahua and reolink are both junk... I just don't wanna see you waste your money
Don't be sorry, I appreciate it, is there a buyer guide I'm missing for the dahua?

For the reolink, why is it junk in your opinion? For a simple security camera it is giving some clear video and an easy to use app and simple to use nvr for 24/7 recording, so far no complaints for money spent but I am thinking about getting something better and looking into Dahua.

Thank you

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't be sorry, I appreciate it, is there a buyer guide I'm missing for the dahua?

For the reolink, why is it junk in your opinion? For a simple security camera it is giving some clear video and an easy to use app and simple to use nvr for 24/7 recording, so far no complaints for money spent but I am thinking about getting something better and looking into Dahua.

Thank you
The dahua you linked to is a very low end model with a small sensor.. stay with the starlight model

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You are probably right but money is money. dahua knew I did not make a purchase and I was looking to do so and they got back to me quickly and were very friendly.

Yes this is true, I placed tape over the IR LEDs and it worked great, the photo is still very clear at night. With only some minor blur with cars, people are clear though.

Reolink isn't so bad after having it for close to a month, it has a decent picture, the apps are easy to use and there is no setup or learning curve. Dahua seems to be 10000000% better but not many need all those features.

I will not state or say reolink is the greatest but for the price and what you might be using it for it might work for you.

I might start with this and compare it to the reolink:
Dahua IPC-HDW4431C-A 4MP 50M IR Support PoE Built-in Mic Network Dome Camera | eBay
Please post pics of your reolink at night I'm willing to bet the picture will be worthless (meaning no getting a face Id) again not trying to be rude but I don't think you understand fully

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are probably right but money is money. dahua knew I did not make a purchase and I was looking to do so and they got back to me quickly and were very friendly.
Money is not money when it causes you to dilute your sales price and lose money. Its basic economics...something is wrong with your story about dahua tech support..who did you contact?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Money is not money when it causes you to dilute your sales price and lose money. Its basic economics...something is wrong with your story about dahua tech support..who did you contact?
Sales.USA Support, why are they diluting anything? I am only asking for details on product and purchasing, they were helpful, not sure how anything is wrong here.

Please post pics of your reolink at night I'm willing to bet the picture will be worthless (meaning no getting a face Id) again not trying to be rude but I don't think you understand fully
Yes, at night no RF on, taped over, some outside light and you can get a clear image of a face about 20 ft. Cars are not the clearest a bit blurry. I will get some images.

I would not suggest or recommend Reolink to anyone who is very serious about this but if it is someone looking for a very simple plug and play solution with a decent picture it isn't as bad as it seems.

I somtimes feel like I'm a window user on a linux forum:)

Last edited:

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Sales.USA Support, why are they diluting anything? I am only asking for details on product and purchasing, they were helpful, not sure how anything is wrong here.

Yes, at night no RF on, taped over, some outside light and you can get a clear image of a face about 20 ft. Cars are not the clearest a bit blurry. I will get some images.

I would not suggest or recommend Reolink to anyone who is very serious about this but if it is someone looking for a very simple plug and play solution with a decent picture it isn't as bad as it seems.

I somtimes feel like I'm a window user on a linux forum:)
For the price you paid for the reolink you could of got a starlight for only 70.00 more with 100 times better image day/night. We are not trying to attack you. I would like to see the pictures 20ft at night ? Face ID?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For the price you paid for the reolink you could of got a starlight for only 70.00 more with 100 times better image day/night. We are not trying to attack you. I would like to see the pictures 20ft at night ? Face ID?
Price is really not the issue here, what is the dahua starlight one you are referring to, can I see size and specs on it?

I will try to get photo when I have the time at night to do this. I'm sure the starlight is better for sure.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok thanks. Yes that is the other one I was looking at but it was out of stock. I will wait and see how it goes.

What is full price after discount for ipcamtalk members and shipping?

I thought you meant this one which is a bit overkill for my needs but a very amazing camera:
Dahua 2MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ Network Camera (SD49225T-HN)

Just wondering, what models are the 4k camera videos on youtube? Those are insanely clear, looks like HD video.

Last edited:

rnatalli

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what my firewall says when launching reolink software on desktop - I have not seen that with any other software I have used dealing with a IP camera, is there any concern? I would never use P2P reolink app as I have seen reviews saying it is very insecure.
All the posts here has me concerned about security and China cameras.
I use Blue Iris so not sure about the software as I use the web interface for configuration. Make sure you disable UID and UPnP on the cameras. Also block them at the router if possible or setup a vlan which are always good measures with IP cameras.

LaZona

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Reolink cam does not play nice with Hikvision NVR. It only transmits video...all other functions like motion detection does not work.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reolink cam does not play nice with Hikvision NVR. It only transmits video...all other functions like motion detection does not work.
Yes, this is true, you can only use reolink NVR only for hassle-free operation.

I use Blue Iris so not sure about the software as I use the web interface for configuration. Make sure you disable UID and UPnP on the cameras. Also block them at the router if possible or setup a vlan which are always good measures with IP cameras.
I will look into this, my ISP has their own firewall and settings and it is a bit difficult to get in there to edit anything, you cannot even filter mac addresses!

Thanks for the tips.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, this is true, you can only use reolink NVR only for hassle-free operation.

I will look into this, my ISP has their own firewall and settings and it is a bit difficult to get in there to edit anything, you cannot even filter mac addresses!

Thanks for the tips.
What does their firewall have to do with the price of tea in China.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What does their firewall have to do with the price of tea in China.
Sorry, I meant the router is provided by ISP and all settings done through their website and it is very limited to what I can do. It is a common complaint when searching about how to edit anything with this router.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Recently reolink assigned a random IP from "Internet Assigned Numbers Authority" that did not start with 192.

Am I missing why they changed this IP? As it was always 192. Sorry for my newbie question, I know it can change but it seems odd it would do this since it always had a 192 prefix.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Recently reolink assigned a random IP from "Internet Assigned Numbers Authority" that did not start with 192.

Am I missing why they changed this IP? As it was always 192. Sorry for my newbie question, I know it can change but it seems odd it would do this since it always had a 192 prefix.
If you loaded new firmware, it might have cleared your static IP assignment and tried DHCP instead?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you loaded new firmware, it might have cleared your static IP assignment and tried DHCP instead?
yes true, but the only way to still access the camera through browser is the old 192 even though the new 172 only shows up.

I will look into DHCP instead.

Thanks

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I bought a an RLC-423 last week and it has been working great with BI so far. No image issues and the video at night at 50 feet away is clear without motion blur. Quite frankly I'm shocked at what you get for $250.

• 4 MP
  • 360 PTZ
  • 4x optical zoom
  • POE
  • Kick ass illuminator that clearly lights the far corner of my 1.3 acre lot from 160 feet away.

Has anyone had issues with the 423? Were there issues that were fixed via BI updates or even Reolink updates to the newer cameras?

Not trying to sell it but based on my evaluation so far, I was about to buy 4 more to replace my lowest res cameras (Panasonic BB-HMC511A).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a an RLC-423 last week and it has been working great with BI so far. No image issues and the video at night at 50 feet away is clear without motion blur. Quite frankly I'm shocked at what you get for $250.

• 4 MP
  • 360 PTZ
  • 4x optical zoom
  • POE
  • Kick ass illuminator that clearly lights the far corner of my 1.3 acre lot from 160 feet away.

Has anyone had issues with the 423? Were there issues that were fixed via BI updates or even Reolink updates to the newer cameras?

Not trying to sell it but based on my evaluation so far, I was about to buy 4 more to replace my lowest res cameras (Panasonic BB-HMC511A).
The issues were never fixed..if you are not using direct to disk you will not see it..eventually you will have to use direct to disk..there are MUCH MUCH better dahua starlight ptz available for 350..these cameras are a joke. You are new to ip cameras and particularly ptz, these low cost cams die fast and furious.