Reolink - good & bad

sorka

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
REOLINKS DO NOT WORK FINE WITH BLUE IRIS AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.
Mine does. Despite your ranting and raving, it's been flawless. Is it my best and most expensive camera? No. I have 14 cameras ranging in price from $300 to $2000. So far it has done exactly what it claims and has given me no issues so far. It's easily my best bang for the buck...at least so far. If it dies after a year, then not so much but only time will tell.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine does. Despite your ranting and raving, it's been flawless. Is it my best and most expensive camera? No. I have 14 cameras ranging in price from $300 to $2000. So far it has done exactly what it claims and has given me no issues so far. It's easily my best bang for the buck...at least so far. If it dies after a year, then not so much but only time will tell.
They do not...you need to reduce the quality... using baseline h.264 ...reolink is crap.. they purposely Spam this forum then LIE to me and say that have not spammed this forum in months. Oh, really? The dumb spammer used a REOLINK.COM email address. They are china spammers with a nice front end.
you have to be a complete moron to to buy that shit. You can do whatever you want but I won't let you mislead the user's here. The fact that you overpaid for your other cameras and didn't do proper research doesn't make reolink a good camera. It is not the best bang for your buck and never will be.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
He may act like it, but it isn't his board.
Actually it is...be respectful or I will remove you. Not sure why you feel the need to lie, when you obviously have no clue about the ownership of this forum. Fool.
I thank you for keeping this reolink is garbage thread at the top so that others can be warned.

Last edited:

Juppers

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a reolink 410 that is working fine with blue iris, and I do not have it set to baseline, it is set to high. I am getting the Dahua 5321 as soon as they are back in stock since the reolink doesn't let me disable the Ir leds and turn off the ir cut filter at the same time, and I'd really like to move to an external ir emitter to keep bugs further from the camera. Good to see all this reolink info though. I didn't know about the lack of iframe adjustment before finding this forum and probably wouldn't have bought it had I known.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I had reolink for almost a year and I would not buy it again, I like it for what I use it for, very easy and I have it on a few computers with no lag.

Only question I had no one seemed to answer. On 2 computers reolink app only connects to my home network, but on one computer it connects to China/Italy/US IP, does anyone know why or what info it is sending to these IPs?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a reolink 410 that is working fine with blue iris, and I do not have it set to baseline, it is set to high. I am getting the Dahua 5321 as soon as they are back in stock since the reolink doesn't let me disable the Ir leds and turn off the ir cut filter at the same time, and I'd really like to move to an external ir emitter to keep bugs further from the camera. Good to see all this reolink info though. I didn't know about the lack of iframe adjustment before finding this forum and probably wouldn't have bought it had I known.
Yes, I hate the fact I cannot shut off the ir sensors. I am going with Dahua if reolink ever gives out... I find it funny that Dahua had a backdoor, no one cared though. If reolink had a backdoor it would be "see, I told you so" GARBAGE! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I hate the fact I cannot shut off the ir sensors. I am going with Dahua if reolink ever gives out... I find it funny that Dahua had a backdoor, no one cared though. If reolink had a backdoor it would be "see, I told you so" GARBAGE! :)
Wrong..first, there is zero issue with a security hole that can only be exploited via port forwarding. Only a complete idoit would port forward a camera. Second, dahua is a target because of its volume of sales...reolink has crap sales and therefore no hackers care....the hack was used to create a botnet. Reolink is a company that lies directly to its users and also to me personally by claiming they did not spam this forum, when in fact they did.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wrong..first, there is zero issue with a security hole that can only be exploited via port forwarding. Only a complete idoit would port forward a camera. Second, dahua is a target because of its volume of sales...reolink has crap sales and therefore no hackers care....the hack was used to create a botnet. Reolink is a company that lies directly to its users and also to me personally by claiming they did not spam this forum, when in fact they did.
Wrong about what? And that sucks what reolink did, cannot comment on that as it doesn't have to do with my experience with the camera itself. If I saw this forum first I would have not purchased a reolink.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wrong about what? And that sucks what reolink did, cannot comment on that as it doesn't have to do with my experience with the camera itself. If I saw this forum first I would have not purchased a reolink.
Wrong about a security vulnerability being an issue..in fact it would be great if cams had zero security....this way users would be forced to use proper methods to secure them.

Evan123

n3wb
Reaction score
Wrong about a security vulnerability being an issue..in fact it would be great if cams had zero security....this way users would be forced to use proper methods to secure them.
I remember how bad users were about security when consumer wifi routers were new and most came out of the box with no password. Most people didn't seem to even realize that anyone within range could hop onto their network. Many people just do the bare minimum to get something working without considering what bad guys might try to do.

Evan123

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to IP cam ownership and just got a Reolink RLC-411S. My plan is to eventually add a couple more cameras and incorporate a NVR or use a software NVR solution such as BI or ZoneMinder. Budget is a bit of a concern since an extra $50-$100 per cam adds up when you start adding several cameras. I'll look at Dahua options and probably make one of their models my next purchase and learn for myself what compromises are made by going with less expensive Reolink models. For the same reasons that TL1096r stated, I wish Dahua was listed on Amazon. I understand the business reasons for not selling retail, but for casual users like me, I don't want to invest a huge amount of time doing research so in this case, I confined myself to Amazon and missed out on a whole line of products that I should have considered.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm new to IP cam ownership and just got a Reolink RLC-411S. My plan is to eventually add a couple more cameras and incorporate a NVR or use a software NVR solution such as BI or ZoneMinder. Budget is a bit of a concern since an extra $50-$100 per cam adds up when you start adding several cameras. I'll look at Dahua options and probably make one of their models my next purchase and learn for myself what compromises are made by going with less expensive Reolink models. For the same reasons that TL1096r stated, I wish Dahua was listed on Amazon. I understand the business reasons for not selling retail, but for casual users like me, I don't want to invest a huge amount of time doing research so in this case, I confined myself to Amazon and missed out on a whole line of products that I should have considered.
This is the truth, I limited myself to reolink and then wanted something more as I was not 100% happy so that is how I found this forum, but for now I am very happy with the reolink setup due to the price for the entire setup and how it is working, I have their NVR, they keep the firmware updated and it gets better and better, the only issue I have is not being able to shut off the IR. I have the setup running 24/7 for close to a year now with no issues, I have the reolink software on every computer so I can see it wherever I am. I have a kindle and I was able to use tinycam with my other camera but it won't work with reolink, it keeps dropping. I might get a better tablet and load blueiris but not sure if that will work as you need to have blueiris on the computer also which I do but I never setup reolink with it.

I remember how bad users were about security when consumer wifi routers were new and most came out of the box with no password. Most people didn't seem to even realize that anyone within range could hop onto their network. Many people just do the bare minimum to get something working without considering what bad guys might try to do.
I don't think this is true, if there was a way to make the camera more secure I would and many consumers now want to do the same thing with all the hacking in the news and identify theft on the rise. What secure measures are you referring to and what is the bare minimum to you?

Evan123

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't think this is true, if there was a way to make the camera more secure I would and many consumers now want to do the same thing with all the hacking in the news and identify theft on the rise. What secure measures are you referring to and what is the bare minimum to you?
I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to the era when most consumer wifi routers came with wifi enabled with no password required to connect. A large portion of people buying them didn't know or didn't care to bother logging into the administrative interface to set a password for the wifi. I always had a password on mine because I knew better, but many did not. I didn't say anything about people that did know better and took all the appropriate steps to secure their network.

To put it another way, I think manufacturers should ship products that have security turned on by default, not off. An example that might be only slightly extreme is enterprise firewalls or routers that by default, do not allow any communication. In order for them to permit any traffic to pass, the admin has to first login and configure the type of traffic that is permitted. I don't think that leaving all security turned off will make users more diligent about security. I think it would result in the lazy or ignorant users even more exposed than they already are, not less.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That makes sense and would be for the best, or they can include a giant note saying "NOT SECURE - PLEASE READ SETUP INSTRUCTIONS" Similar to those "DO NOT RETURN TO STORE" notes in boxes.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with the reolink software? It seems to be sending out information to China servers, is there any reason it would be doing this, what would it be collecting?

Is there any reasons for a IP Camera software to be doing this?

Is there anyway to stop this and have the camera function normally?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use BI as software... why using Reolink software? anyway...
Easier to setup, I have all cameras on the reolink NVR and you cannot connect the cameras behind the NVR to BI. I simply launch reolink software and it easily records plays and no lag or large amount of CPU usage.

My only concern is UDP connections it is making and firewall seeing it speaking to China servers and sending MB of data, not sure what it would be sending or why it would ever need to connect to any outside servers.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Easier to setup, I have all cameras on the reolink NVR and you cannot connect the cameras behind the NVR to BI. I simply launch reolink software and it easily records plays and no lag or large amount of CPU usage.

My only concern is UDP connections it is making and firewall seeing it speaking to China servers and sending MB of data, not sure what it would be sending or why it would ever need to connect to any outside servers.
so you are going to continue using software that sends info to china...makes sense...cut off its access to those servers...any data is too much data...for the record there is no lag in blue iris and if setup correctly does not consume large amounts of cpu and has way more options than reolink will ever have..problem is reolink refuses to add iframe interval settings to their cameras and lies about it...making not fully compatible with blue iris....maybe you can as them on their facebook page and on amazon review/questions why in the world their software needs to communicate to china...

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
so you are going to continue using software that sends info to china...makes sense...cut off its access to those servers...any data is too much data...for the record there is no lag in blue iris and if setup correctly does not consume large amounts of cpu and has way more options than reolink will ever have..problem is reolink refuses to add iframe interval settings to their cameras and lies about it...making not fully compatible with blue iris....maybe you can as them on their facebook page and on amazon review/questions why in the world their software needs to communicate to china...
I cannot connect reolink cameras behind the NVR or I would try as many here said they were able to by editing settings. I cannot dwell in the past for the poor decision to purchase this camera and only can make the best of it now. When I use BI using NVR IP assigned it only shows 1 camera and not all of them.

To connect on reolink we use the NVR IP + 9000 media port and it connects all cameras, when we use NVR IP BI assigns path automatically and 1 camera connects and that is it.

The info I see it is sending out, does anyone have any idea? I do not know how to cut off communication with those servers without the reolink software working, if I block any UDP it doesn't work.

Last edited:

patrocle

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
hmm, so that info is sent out only if u have the reolink camera connected to nvr/dvr?
How do u see that info in your screen? within the wirelless rounter traffic or etc...?

I have a
Reolink 410
Amazon.com: Reolink IP PoE Security Camera 4 Megapixels Super HD 2560x1440 Audio Support Bullet Outdoor Indoor IR Night Vision Motion Detection RLC-410: Camera & Photo
got it way back to test it to the
Longse LBH30S200
2MP IP Camera 1080P Full HD camera IP outdoor p2p Night Vision Waterproof CCTV Camera HI3516C Motion detection IR CUT,ONVIF 2.4-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
like how much difference is it, and i was quite impressed with it the reolink, but of course this where cheap cameras , want something good u go with dahua starlight , but other don't have the $ and will stick with the cheap crap...like me :))

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.