Replacement Setup

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am planning to replace my Swan 2MP cameras with possibly the Lorex LNR6826KP. (4K NVR, 6*4K 8MP Cameras).

I have ran a PoE switch to remote locations and ready to roll.

My plan is from NVR to router and then plug all cameras into the PoE Switch that is plugged into that Router, possibly a couple into the NVR PoE ports also.

This system is 4K, I have a decent 350Mb Download Speed and 20Mb upload from Virgin. But I note the cameras can only give 4K at 15FPS and lower resolutions at around 20FPS, 25FPS if i go with 3MP resolution.

I am not sure 15FPS is good enough ?.

I am monitoring the street outside my house (Signed up to data protection etc) where my car is parked under good light and also my 50 Metre back garden that only has activated lights on movement.

The Lorex kit is £840 from Costco and before i buy I would like your views on if 4K is worth it, better kits for that money etc.

The NVR is inside a bedroom, so I don't want a noisy NVR, I also want a NVR that is well supported with firmware updates etc, can handle FTP cloud storage of my choice and works with a large range of other cameras.

I only have the Standard Virgin SuperHub 3, in case that makes any difference, thinking VPN could be out the question with this.

Over to you, many thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am planning to replace my Swan 2MP cameras with possibly the Lorex LNR6826KP. (4K NVR, 6*4K 8MP Cameras).
Welcome Nigh-Owl,

We have that same kit here in the USA Costco's "LNR6826K" I think the "P" on your kit number = PAL version, otherwise I think it is the same.
A number of the folks here have picked up the USA version and we have a thread on it here:
FYI - Some local Costco B&M have a Lorex / Dahua OEM 4K 6x camera kit and 8 port NVR for $800

imho - it is a decent option for those on a budget, note that Lorex disables the IVS ( some call it IVA ) features on their NVRs and maybe cameras also. Check out the links and you can see sample image captures and videos from those cameras.

The nice thing about the kit is that there are 2 available ports, so you can add 2 of the highly recommended Dahua OEM starlight cameras to it.

Also, at least here in the USA, Costco has a unbeatable return policy on security camera kits.

This system is 4K, I have a decent 350Mb Download Speed and 20Mb upload from Virgin. But I note the cameras can only give 4K at 15FPS and lower resolutions at around 20FPS, 25FPS if i go with 3MP resolution.
As the videos are stored locally, not going through your internet unless you view remotely, there should be minimal bandwidth used from your ISP. In fact if you isolate the security camera system it will not use any of your internet bandwidth.

I am not sure 15FPS is good enough ?.
15 fps is plenty for most situations. There are youtube videos showing you comparisons.

The Lorex kit is £840 from Costco and before i buy I would like your views on if 4K is worth it, better kits for that money etc. ..
Why is it everything just seems significantly more in the UK?

Are there better kits - YES, if you are willing to spend more - absolutely can get better.

In the USA we currently have a nice deal on a Q-see ( Dahua OEM ) kit from Costco w/12x 4K cameras for $1699 - the nice thing is that Q-see does not disable the IVS functions, just relabels them as IVA.

Note - NVRs are not silent, and thus I recommend not putting it in your bedroom. This particular NVR due to the case design is noisier than what we would have expected ( follow the link above and you'll find some reviews @CPO did on it.

Also, it is possible to build a custom kit by custom ordering your parts and putting them together. ( A lot of us here are doing that )

Many options, and lots to learn.

Hopefully you've seen these already, if not we have a lot of great information being shared here, and the following is a guide:

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mat 200

Thank you very much, pictures from it look great, lots of reading still to do on the info you sent.

One thing i would like a comment on, I am attaching it to a bedroom TV, it is 32 inch Samsung 1080P, not 4K, I could attach it to a 4K TV downstairs if I buy another PoE switch and plug the cameras into this, attached to my router. Then simply plug the NVR into one of the living room normal switch Ethernet ports downstairs, providing Maplin are wrong of course and these Cameras are find-able by simply plugging the NVR into your network and using the MAC addresses of the Cameras to find them under the NVR setup ?.

I am getting different opinions on if to plug it in a 4K TV or not, some say 4K is all about being able to zoom in on a pacific spot and get good detail and therefor I don't need to plug it in a 4K TV and some say, plug it in a 4K TV, otherwise you will never see the quality you are paying for. ?

Many Thanks.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Night-Owl,

Definitely recommend a 4K TV / monitor when pairing with 4K cameras.

Note - due to the limited processing power of the embedded NVRs - handling multiple 4K streams can be troublesome from a processing point of view. The NVR in this particular kit has shown at times to have a slight lag ( 1-2 sec ) during live stream watching, normally not too much of an issue.( the NVR in this kit appears to be a "lite" model )

So you will want to give this kit a good bench test.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mat200,

Thank you again. Buying another PoE switch it is then :). I have been reading the posts and noted several interesting things.

a) Even this resolution is not going to make out a moving number plate, i would need to upgrade the lens to 12mm and although the poster says its easy, I am a scratch freak (I hate scratches on equipment) and I am not good with knives, so the chances of putting another lens in without scratching the camera is zero :(.

b) I did note the 1-2 sec delay in Costco straight away, Lorex admit its the DVR but say it wont effect recordings etc.

c) Only 3 days continues recording on the 2TB drive included at 4K resolution :(, not good, so will need 6TB drive to get even 10 days, which is just about acceptable i.e maximum period i would be on holiday.

It seems to bring it to a nice setup, able to read number plates etc I will need another switch, a 6TB drive and a 12mm lens (fitted by someone more pro)

Thank you again for your advise / help.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI Night-Owl,

You can just get a Dahua varifocal camera which you can adjust the zoom. Check out the Dahua OEM starlight models. look for a model ending in "Z" or "Zx" ( x= number )

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello

I noted lorex was selling kit 4KHDIP86 on their site at $1199.99 before discounts, tried to use 25% off code that Lorex forget to take of website but expired. 15% works but it seems i cannot ship to UK from US site, only the UK one, that does not have kit. Sales team are implying the above has newer NVR and cameras in kit are same, even though they have different product no's. Tried asking if would ship to UK and got a no, tried asking if could get system with UK plug and PAL compatible and did not understand my question. So going to see if i can get these questions answered by UK tech support tomorrow, worst case senerio is i can ask a friend in the US to buy the kit and ship it for me. Is anyone on forum aware of anything on this kit apart from 16 vs 8 PoE port NVR different in the kit and if i would face any issues buying US version for UK ?

My conversion calculator says with 15% off this kit comes to £738, will need to check this again as that is £100 cheaper than i can get LNR6828KP for in UK

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello

I noted lorex was selling kit 4KHDIP86 on their site at $1199.99 before discounts, tried to use 25% off code that Lorex forget to take of website but expired. 15% works but it seems i cannot ship to UK from US site, only the UK one, that does not have kit. Sales team are implying the above has newer NVR and cameras in kit are same, even though they have different product no's. Tried asking if would ship to UK and got a no, tried asking if could get system with UK plug and PAL compatible and did not understand my question. So going to see if i can get these questions answered by UK tech support tomorrow, worst case senerio is i can ask a friend in the US to buy the kit and ship it for me. Is anyone on forum aware of anything on this kit apart from 16 vs 8 PoE port NVR different in the kit and if i would face any issues buying US version for UK ?

My conversion calculator says with 15% off this kit comes to £738, will need to check this again as that is £100 cheaper than i can get LNR6828KP for in UK

Thanks
Hi Nightowl -

That kit recently was going for almost the same price in the USA as the one from Costco. If you can get it for cheaper than the Costco it will give you a better NVR ( 2 HDDs vs 1, 16 PoE ports vs 8 .. ). A large number of people here jumped on both of those deals.

The cameras I believe are about the same when I inspected the specs. Some users have reported they thought the cameras in the Costco kit gave better video images - I suspect that maybe a firmware or settings related issue. Other user reported that the videos look good. I have asked some of those feeling the images are different to provide an example so those of us reading their posts can also see what they are. Unfortunately they have not - thus the best I can do is believe that the cameras are effectively the same.

iirc @CPO may have some more info on that, and do note he has done a youtube video on the Costco kit.

The other Costco kit by Q-see is this one
Q-See 16-Channel 4K NVR, 4TB HDD, 12-4K Bullet Cameras Security System
Costco Wholesale

Currently in the USA there is a $300 off deal - making the kit $1699, which is a very good deal.

Again, with the Q-see and Lorex NVRs you can add some of the Dahua OEM starlight cameras to them.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mat200

Thankyou, Lorex sales implied that the Costco kit was older and Lorex are no longer selling it, may be a sales ploy, who knows. The Costco kit does come with 6 power adapters to go with the 6 cameras, so that is very helpfull to avoid needing a PoE switch etc if not running directly from NVR and Costco are normally great for returns. Slight pros and cons of both it seems ;), thank you for your feed back

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
mat200

Thankyou, Lorex sales implied that the Costco kit was older and Lorex are no longer selling it, may be a sales ploy, who knows. The Costco kit does come with 6 power adapters to go with the 6 cameras, so that is very helpfull to avoid needing a PoE switch etc if not running directly from NVR and Costco are normally great for returns. Slight pros and cons of both it seems ;), thank you for your feed back
Hi Night-Owl,

That's odd, since it was listed as a "NEW PRODUCT" on the Lorex website just a few months ago... LOL

I do not recall any separate power adapters in the USA kits - just the 8 ports from the NVR. Maybe the kit is different than what we have here in the states.

Happy to share what I have been learning.

Do note - that you probably should also compare it to a customize kit you can pick up from Andy so you have a few options go with.

Decide on what threat issues are - if low light / night time threats are significant definitely look at a couple or more of the Dahua 2MP Starlight cameras - even if to augment one of those kits.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
mat200,

I think i get the hint that a Dahua 2MP Starlight camera would be a good add on, my requirements are to get good footage at night time including number plates. After all, Cameras are for security and most un-welcome guests I suspect would choose to go about their business at night and not normally under a light :)

The Lorex site states you get 6 power adapters in the box, i will need to pop down to Costco to check if this is the case as clearly may be an error, after all the 25% code is still showing on the same page and no longer valid :)

IP Camera System with 6 Ultra HD 4K Security Cameras & Lorex Secure Connectivity

I noted on your comments that Costco had the kit for $799 (Picture), if i get my maths right, add on 20% @ $159.80 = $958.80, convert to UK Pound roughly £694.84, that means it is around £140 more expensive in UK :(

I am still trying to find the you tube video by @CPO

I suspect I should know this, but who is Andy ?

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi

I noted IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and am interested, I am in UK and am noting costs are far cheaper in US, has anyone experiance with obtaining good and delivery to UK, i.e do i have to pay other cosys like import tax or something and hence the saving is not worth it ?.

Basically i was thinkimg of buying a IP PoE Varifocal that is capable of being used as a standalone as well as adding to the Lorex kit above to see the difference in picture quality we are talking compared to my Swann kit, I did not want yo go above £200 including delivery and am inpatient i.e dont want to wait more than 5 days from order to deliver. Must have clear nightvision and have no trouble handling no. plates in low light and when moving from 10 metres away.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

I noted IPC-HFW5231E-Z5 and am interested, I am in UK and am noting costs are far cheaper in US, has anyone experiance with obtaining good and delivery to UK, i.e do i have to pay other cosys like import tax or something and hence the saving is not worth it ?.

Basically i was thinkimg of buying a IP PoE Varifocal that is capable of being used as a standalone as well as adding to the Lorex kit above to see the difference in picture quality we are talking compared to my Swann kit, I did not want yo go above £200 including delivery and am inpatient i.e dont want to wait more than 5 days from order to deliver. Must have clear nightvision and have no trouble handling no. plates in low light and when moving from 10 metres away.
HI Night-Owl,

Andy has a lot of experience with customers all over the world, and works to ensure you get the best possible experience with shipping the product to you ( including the most effective way associated with any import taxes ) imho completely worth using Andy as a source for these cameras.

For license plates many here are using that camera or similar starlight cameras for license plate reading, please do check out the link @looney2ns posted for more info on tuning cameras to successfully capture license plates at night.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello

My next task is the deadfall task of running the cables, i have a 6 metre extension to get arround as i want to stick a camera on one of its corners, whatever way i look at it, i am going to have a large amount of ethernet cable on show, in conduit stuck under the front eves and in conduit running along its sides, as flat roof, no-where to hide it :(. Any way, the corner has a standard exteria light on the wall and i could mount the camera next to it or on the eves above, so slightly guarded from the direct light by the eves. What would be the best location please as expecting right next to the light is a no go ?

Please see picture attched.

Suggestions welcome. Cabling going to upstairs bedroom at the front and this is the back, already have ethernet going in from the exteria back to front where extension reaches house, no no new holes needed.

Attachments