Resource Guide on IP Technology for all Noobs

NathanJ

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, the site you suggested looks like it has some useful information. There is training available through my company which I am scheduled to take, and I will continue to look through the documentation attached to this thread. I guess I was looking for some general guidance and be able to ask some seemingly dumb questions to help myself out and get ahead. Thanks for all the help

kf4mro

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Zero-degrees
I saved those to my iBooks to read later.
I’ve been working on this camera all day and about tiered of it for today.

Francisco73

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I tried to download two of the PDFs yesterday using latest 64 Bit Linux Mint and Opera both updated some days ago. I did NOT manage to download them. Are the PDFs ok? I can try later with Firefox. Thanks.

radekzat

n3wb
Reaction score
I tried to download two of the PDFs yesterday using latest 64 Bit Linux Mint and Opera both updated some days ago. I did NOT manage to download them. Are the PDFs ok? I can try later with Firefox. Thanks.
No issues hehe with Chrome, on PC and mobile

Trash

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there!
Glad to be a part of the community. Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks for my own system. Primarily i do have an issue with it I'm hoping someone may help with. I am an electrician with Data cabling endorsement so I know how to install/terminate data cables. Enough to be dangerous it seems.
I have just replaced my old CCTV co-axial system with sparkly new Dahua NVR DHI-NVR4108hs-8P-4KS2/L and 8 Dahua DHI-IPC-HDW3449TMP-AS-0280B 24/7 colour cameras. It has been running for 2 weeks now and have been playing with settings with both the NVR and the DMSS app. Since changing recording from motion detection and now incorporating 24 hour recording with AI Human/motor vehicle sensing, I have been getting notifications and have witnessed the cameras intermittently going offline for short periods at anytime. They re-connect on their own and continue operating as expected until next drop out. At this point it seems to be the same 3. The cable length would be no more than 30 metres of CAT6 Belden solid copper unscreened. Continuity/Polarity checked with NetScout tester. Not all cams have LED illuminator active referring to power draw.
Camera firmware appears to be current. NVR is located in free air and mounted to outside back of my TV cabinet so well ventilated.
Any ideas would be truly appreciated.
Cheers
P.S. clicked on the Cliff Notes links in the above posts but link broken :)

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
The cliff note link earlier in this thread is for a document (.docx) that appears to be on someone's google drive. Blue bar across the top of the IPCT pages has a wiki drop down. The cliff notes, among other great reads, is there.

Are your cameras dialed in to max resolution/quality? Consider posting a screen shot of a cameras video settings.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi there!
Glad to be a part of the community. Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks for my own system. Primarily i do have an issue with it I'm hoping someone may help with. I am an electrician with Data cabling endorsement so I know how to install/terminate data cables. Enough to be dangerous it seems.
I have just replaced my old CCTV co-axial system with sparkly new Dahua NVR DHI-NVR4108hs-8P-4KS2/L and 8 Dahua DHI-IPC-HDW3449TMP-AS-0280B 24/7 colour cameras. It has been running for 2 weeks now and have been playing with settings with both the NVR and the DMSS app. Since changing recording from motion detection and now incorporating 24 hour recording with AI Human/motor vehicle sensing, I have been getting notifications and have witnessed the cameras intermittently going offline for short periods at anytime. They re-connect on their own and continue operating as expected until next drop out. At this point it seems to be the same 3. The cable length would be no more than 30 metres of CAT6 Belden solid copper unscreened. Continuity/Polarity checked with NetScout tester. Not all cams have LED illuminator active referring to power draw.
Camera firmware appears to be current. NVR is located in free air and mounted to outside back of my TV cabinet so well ventilated.
Any ideas would be truly appreciated.
Cheers
P.S. clicked on the Cliff Notes links in the above posts but link broken :)
Drop outs are typically are found to be related to cabling issues'.
Cable's damaged during install.
RJ45's not properly crimped or not crimped to the 568A or B standard, using the standard can't be ignored..
Continuity/Polarity test's don't tell the entire story.
Next time post your own thread instead of highjacking another. ;)

Reaction score
Hi guys. Thanks for reading. I'm looking to buy static IP's for a number of servers to use with in the future. I like building stead reputations and have got to the point where relying on IP's being assigned by server companies is no longer good for me.
I've never bought IP addresses before and was wondering on best practices. I want to buy about 10-20 IPV4 addresses to start with (Possibly more) But don't even know the basics on this stuff. I'm totally happy to admit I'm out of my depth. I've built serverside systems for years but am just now looking at creating and holding my own systems with their own IP's.
routerlogin.ltd
pikashow.ltd

Last edited: