Review-Dahua/EmpireTech new doorbell cam Db6l 5mp

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, I've reset it several times now each time I get the Hard reset msg followed by the wifi hotspot is available msg. The ip addr of the cam is as I said above Furthermore DMSS can't connect because it says that the device has been already added However it thinks it ip addr is still the old 192.168.1.132. You can't even delete the device unless it is connected. I've even tried putting another router right near the cam but it still only connects to the 192.168.3.xxx address. Someone nearby must have a wifi extender or something.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Did you try uninstalling DMSS app or reboot phone ? it can be very picky when you try to setup the second time.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, tried all that - can't get it to connect to my network. Odd thing is that when I installed this last weekend it worked perfectly - no problems at all.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I RESET the cam but now it connects to another hot spot that is not mine and I cannot access. It is grabbing 192.168.3.xxx while my domain is 192.168.1.xxx I can find no way to force it to mine. But the good news is that the Doorbell still rings, HA!
Reset button is here, press the reset button for 5-7 seconds, it will be defaulted to the 192.168.1.108 after finish the reset.
1656463482226.png

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is the reset you are talking about the same as a HARD reset? Everytime I reset set it the cam went thru and grabbed a hot spot on the 192.168.3 subnet.
I've just gotten it back onto my subnet and can see it in Smart PSS I have also Added it as a new cam to BI and have not changed ANY of the settings in either.
There is a major Catch22 in DMSS - you can't unbind or delete a device in DMSS UNLESS you can connect to it. You have to appeal to Dahua by filling out and submitting forms, pictures and proof of purchase. They really need to add some way to delete dead or malfunctioning devices from your account once you have logged into DMSS.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
After reinstalling the camera and adding it into DMSS, Smart PSS, and adding it as a NEW camera to BI (meaning all parms should be set at their defaults, - here is a vid of the night video. As you can see the noise and pulsing is still there perhaps with a tad bit less noise.

Attachments

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
After reinstalling the camera and adding it into DMSS, Smart PSS, and adding it as a NEW camera to BI (meaning all parms should be set at their defaults, - here is a vid of the night video. As you can see the noise and pulsing is still there perhaps with a tad bit less noise.
somthing is still not right.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a replacement on its way - should be here Sunday Perhaps it will be better. (hope springs eternal ...)

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Update:
I rcv'd the new door cam late yesterday and installed it today. I go the same sort of results as with the other db cam. As an experiment I took the original cam and set it up at the bottom of the door frame (powered by and extra db transformer and got these results. As you can see the video is a lot clearer. I suspect that the porch which is white is reflecting back to the cam and washing everything out. I set the Day/Night to 'Color' which turns off the IR light which means the scene is dark. I also temporarily tapped the old cam with angled mount which improved things slightly but not much. I will experiment with this some more to see what can be done to improve the video. I just wanted to let you know that the DB6I is not at fault. Thanks for all the suggestions and help

Attachments

Last edited:

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My suspicion that the IR lights are washing out the video may not be correct. I had both the white deterrent and the led lights turned off. I turned the deterrent light on and discovered that when a car passed on the street it would turn the light ON and the video looked good. Of course the light would turn OFF and the video would go back to its normal bad looking state. The extra bit of light mad all the difference. I tried putting a night-light in a nearby outlet but it was too weak to affect the camera.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Update:
I rcv'd the new door cam late yesterday and installed it today. I go the same sort of results as with the other db cam. As an experiment I took the original cam and set it up at the bottom of the door frame (powered by and extra db transformer and got these results. As you can see the video is a lot clearer. I suspect that the porch which is white is reflecting back to the cam and washing everything out. I set the Day/Night to 'Color' which turns off the IR light which means the scene is dark. I also temporarily tapped the old cam with angled mount which improved things slightly but not much. I will experiment with this some more to see what can be done to improve the video. I just wanted to let you know that the DB6I is not at fault. Thanks for all the suggestions and help
The IR reflecting off the siding on the right is definitely affecting the pic negatively.
Get it off the floor, use a 4ft board to temp mount it at the correct height, and have the ablity to turn the cam away from that wall for testing.
The cam needs to be positioned so it does not have any IR reflections back into the lens.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No kids, and have never had any problems with any of the kids. However about a week before the first occurrence my neighbor found the same group of kids looking into his daughters room at night. He confronted them and then chased them down the street. One of them taunted him saying that my neighbor could never catch him because he (the kid) was on the HS track team. BTW, my neighbor works at that HS and is good friends with the Track Coach AND the principal. He reported this to the police.
Unlikely as it may be I think that the dumb a-holes got the wrong house for revenge and really wanted his house. I can't think of any other good reason. Last night makes the fourth time they've done this which is why I bought the DB6I to begin with. I may have to change out cameras in the front to get better facial recognition. Right now I am using a Loryta IPC-T2431T-AS with a w2.8mm lenses. Any suggestions would be welcome. The distance from the camera to the street is about 60ft

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At 60 feet I would go with the 5442-Z4E or higher focal length.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm or the 4K/X - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • T5449H-ASE-D2 2.8mm fixed lens - anything within 10 feet of camera where the object would be in a backlit condition at night
  • 5441F-AS-E2 (AKA Boobie cam) or E3241F-AS-M- great choice for a front door camera. The boobie cam can have one lens pointed down for packages
  • T5241H-AS-PV - Great little active deterrence camera with two way talk. Good for anything within 10 feet of camera or as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE or 5842-ZE- varifocal up to 13mm- distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - varifocal up to 32mm - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - varifocal up to 64mm - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tng5737

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is a pretty big camera (14" by the description). I'd prefer an eyeball - they are less obvious and look better on a ranch styled house