Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This model right now stock use up , will be back stock around 10days.

pnybug

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've read that there seems to be a thermal issue with this model. Does it impact performance and is the heat not a hazard ?
Thanks

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hi guys, I've read that there seems to be a thermal issue with this model. Does it impact performance and is the heat not a hazard ?
Thanks
It's warm, but it isn't going to cause anything to burst into flames. I have seen absolutely no performance issues with mine.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks
It runs warm, as I noted in the first pages of this review, but I've not seen any long term affects. I do recommend that if you care, whatever surface you mount it to, you either use some small spacers or the junction box or it may discolor the surface it's attached to over time.

pnybug

n3wb
Reaction score
It runs warm, as I noted in the first pages of this review, but I've not seen any long term affects. I do recommend that if you care, whatever surface you mount it to, you either use some small spacers or the junction box or it may discolor the surface it's attached to over time.
Sounds good. And on the plus side the spacer allow some air to pass through at the back and help cool it some.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have a need for the dual camera functionality, I can highly recommend it. Works beautifully for what I wanted/needed (watching people approaching front door & looking down for packages on the ground at the front door). Zero issues with it.
I have a similar use case. Would you mind posting a picture of your set up?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here are the pictures for those who need them:
Will the two lens point 180 degrees from each other? I don't need to do it that extreme, but want to put on my side wall perpindicual to the front door and point one to the floor area where packages come and the other directly right where people come.

Would you use the 137 or the 203W for this use case?

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was hoping there was something at 45 degree angle because if I mounted using the junction box, I wouldn't get as much coverage from the wall I am mounting on. I saw some corner brackets for this, but this would be the opposite of that corner mount.
Did you find out on this? Curious as well

mudflap5

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks
Thermal image shows the dual camera next to a Dahua 4X mini PTZ dome. The PTZ is a few degrees warmer. Both cameras have been up for several months without any problems. Outside temp was about 90 degrees.

cams.jpg

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I read through most of the thread but must have missed a few posts. Can someone confirm if they managed to get both cameras working on the NVR as independent channels? (as 2x 2Mp camera recordings?)

also, can you set these to any angle or is there restrictions on the max camera angles?

usaf_pride

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read through most of the thread but must have missed a few posts. Can someone confirm if they managed to get both cameras working on the NVR as independent channels? (as 2x 2Mp camera recordings?)

also, can you set these to any angle or is there restrictions on the max camera angles?
It works on my 5216 just fine. Angles are in the PDF linked to the 1st post.

ck42

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Will the two lens point 180 degrees from each other? I don't need to do it that extreme, but want to put on my side wall perpindicual to the front door and point one to the floor area where packages come and the other directly right where people come.

Would you use the 137 or the 203W for this use case?

This is 100% exactly how I have mine setup. Same left side wall position, height and everything. Works beautifully.

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The wiki says dome cameras like this one should be avoided for outdoor use, and turrets should be used instead. Are folks finding this unit works well outdoors? Any specific things I should be doing if I try and mount them outside? I am also thinking about using one in a covered doorway or under a deck so the camera is not exposed. Should I avoid mounting them on the side, but always dome down, etc...?

thx
mike

Rebs

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, a coupla quick questions.

1. Can this be used outside in direct sun? I live in Australia and the summer sun is absolutely roasting.
2. Does this count as two cameras if I use a NVR? For example would it occupy two slots of my 8 port NVR for example?

Thanks!!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The wiki says dome cameras like this one should be avoided for outdoor use, and turrets should be used instead. Are folks finding this unit works well outdoors? Any specific things I should be doing if I try and mount them outside? I am also thinking about using one in a covered doorway or under a deck so the camera is not exposed. Should I avoid mounting them on the side, but always dome down, etc...?

thx
mike
If possible, I would avoid direct sun exposure. I've had one outdoors under an eve for 6 months, and so far so good.
Some use these at there front doors mounted at 5', with one cam looking down at package area, the other looking straight out for face ID's.

Hey guys, a coupla quick questions.

1. Can this be used outside in direct sun? I live in Australia and the summer sun is absolutely roasting.
2. Does this count as two cameras if I use a NVR? For example would it occupy two slots of my 8 port NVR for example?

Thanks!!
1-Because of the domes, I wouldn't.
2-Be sure you have a current Dahua NVR, or you may have trouble getting the the 2nd cam to appear, but it only use's one POE port, but it will use two "channels". So, you would in essence only have 7 ch's available in your 8 ch. NVR. Read the first few pages of this thread, this is discussed.