Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
will somebody update and post back?

Reaction score
Took a quick look: No apparent change.

Neither backlight mode for channel 2, nor simultaneous IVS. For the latter I don't think there will be a fix, as the CPU of this thingy is probably to slow to analyze two frames at the same time. However, why backlight compensation isn't separately selectable is beyond me.

For me, this thing is a toy, without any practical value with the severe limitations it has.

(As a sidenote, I could not make it show any image on any browser on Mac, neither Safari, nor Chrome, nor FF.)

YYZed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Took a quick look: No apparent change.

Neither backlight mode for channel 2, nor simultaneous IVS. For the latter I don't think there will be a fix, as the CPU of this thingy is probably to slow to analyze two frames at the same time. However, why backlight compensation isn't separately selectable is beyond me.

Let's face it, this thing is a toy, without any practical value with the severe limitations it has.

(As a sidenote, I could not make it show any image on any browser on Mac, neither Safari, nor Chrome, nor FF.)
Yep. No change on my end either.

In addition, I had to set the IVS parameters on channel 1 through the NVR. Not ideal, but that was my only workaround. Channel 2 isn't available whatsoever in the IVS parameters. I can click on it, but nothing even comes up.

Last edited:

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

New issue. Buddy has 5 of these cams, 1 has been acting up for a while, now having another issue. Hooked up to a Dahua 4k NVR.

Here is the cam log. Here is what I think is going on: LOG HERE Index of /dave

NVR has IPC Time Sync enabled. Also, cameras have NTP time server enabled.

Every 2 weeks or so, 1 camera in system becomes unresponsive until power cycle. A message appeared on the nvr for that cam that said something like login timeout then it became inaccessible even by ping.

Looking at log it appears a few hours before connection was lost the NVR attempted to login and set time repeatedly every minute or so until the camera lost connection. The log showing this is attached. This started at about 5:51PM in the log and the camera crashed at about 7:56PM. Looks like the camera is still alive after that as there are motion events before the camera was unplugged and power cycled at 10:27PM. Looks like the network connection was just lost. I dont know why the NVR was continuously trying to set the time though.

Today he had a different camera go offline..... he writes The first camera that went out was the lowest, 192.168.1.101. Then .102 went out. Seems strange.

Anyone help? Thanks

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@EMPIRETECANDY

New issue. Buddy has 5 of these cams, 1 has been acting up for a while, now having another issue. Hooked up to a Dahua 4k NVR.

Here is the cam log. Here is what I think is going on: LOG HERE Index of /dave

NVR has IPC Time Sync enabled. Also, cameras have NTP time server enabled.

Every 2 weeks or so, 1 camera in system becomes unresponsive until power cycle. A message appeared on the nvr for that cam that said something like login timeout then it became inaccessible even by ping.

Looking at log it appears a few hours before connection was lost the NVR attempted to login and set time repeatedly every minute or so until the camera lost connection. The log showing this is attached. This started at about 5:51PM in the log and the camera crashed at about 7:56PM. Looks like the camera is still alive after that as there are motion events before the camera was unplugged and power cycled at 10:27PM. Looks like the network connection was just lost. I dont know why the NVR was continuously trying to set the time though.

Today he had a different camera go offline..... he writes The first camera that went out was the lowest, 192.168.1.101. Then .102 went out. Seems strange.

Anyone help? Thanks
What is his NVR model? Drop line mostly because of the not stable power/power cable. So the problem maybe the NVR or the cables. Can try some other power to power it or test with some new cable.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I installed the new NTSC file over the PAL. Install worked fine, but no difference with IVS intrision snapshots not working on Camera #2.
Did a factory reset from the menu using IE, set up the IP and password as before but didn't change any other settings.
Set up intrusion snapshots on #2. with no other changes.
Looked at playback with the IE IF to the camera, had about 30 .jpgs 1/sec. on camera #2
Went back in and set up intrusion snapshots on cam #1 and changed a bunch of other settings.

No longer get any snapshots off cam #2.

I have 5 ways to interface to the camera, directly through IE (WebReC), Through SmartPSS direcly to camras or through my NVR (2 ways), through IE directly to the NVR, and BI.

The problem may be in getting the right combination of settings - but I doubt it.

Neither camera works well with IVS, camera #1 poorly, & camera #2 not at all.
IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M
Here has some update about the IVS issue, please check.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
What is his NVR model? Drop line mostly because of the not stable power/power cable. So the problem maybe the NVR or the cables. Can try some other power to power it or test with some new cable.
The NVR is the brand new (few months old 4k, s2, non POE nvr. ) He has a cisco 16 POE large switch.

He tried a small cable, lasted about a week on the test bench, with the same result. Hes also tested other POE ports. He has the same camera and the front door, and its working great, even at a distance a bit farther from the one that cuts out.

It baffles me

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just installed this baby on a PFB203W. It fits fine.

Now I have to figure out how to get both streams on my 4108 NVR.... [ I am still new so figuring out how to manually add etc... ]

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just installed this baby on a PFB203W. It fits fine.

Now I have to figure out how to get both streams on my 4108 NVR.... [ I am still new so figuring out how to manually add etc... ]
I think page 1 goes after that..

remember, channel 1, and channel 2

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think page 1 goes after that..

remember, channel 1, and channel 2
I tried those but couldn't get it to work. One of the issues is that I get different options and screens depending on whether I use Mac (chrome), Windows (Chrome), Windows (IE - this won't even work!), or directly on the NVR which is tricky because I can't find my wireless mouse....

Maybe I need to upgrade as Dahua calls it; (update) my NVR.

-=cf=-

n3wb
Reaction score
Even with the latest firmware two issues are still present. SmartIR settings reset after reboots and channel 2 remains in B/w mode during the day.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just a quick note here: i received one of these last week and installed it yesterday after a week or so of testing on my desk.

After installing it-- it stopped working. I did put the POE cable in a tight pinch when screwing it in-- though maybe I broke it. Couldn't ping it-- POE lights were on.

Ends up-- must have held the reset button down when installing and it defaulted to the default IP. Thanks to Andy for his help....

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That original night video-- was the IR light genereated by this camera or the one next to it.

I mounted mine and the angles are large on camera 2. I think I am getting IR reflection from the case at night. Maybe ill take the cover off some night to see if it gets better without it. Thinking of getting external IR lighting...

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@looney2ns would you recommend this camera? I read something about no backlight for the 2nd cam and no IVS? I plan to use this with an NVR if that matters. It's for my mom's new house. I may try to convince her to use blue iris but that may be a stretch.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
When's is dahua going to release a dual turret cam in one? I would buy two right now.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@looney2ns would you recommend this camera? I read something about no backlight for the 2nd cam and no IVS? I plan to use this with an NVR if that matters. It's for my mom's new house. I may try to convince her to use blue iris but that may be a stretch.
You are correct, it appears with the latest firmware that any back light settings, must be done for ch1, and that setting gets set for ch2. You can't adjust ch2 separately.
IVS will only work on one channel at a time.
The IR is weaker than a turret would be as well.
I've had it up in use for several months with BI, and other than that, it's a fine camera.