Review-Dahua IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M Dual Starlight Cam

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
weird. it also works on my 64 bit win 10 with IE 11.778 and plugin 3.1.0.0.

i tried various frame rates & bit rates, all work on H265. sorry that doesn't help - just a data point...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I notice your UI has generic logo 'IP Camera' (not Dahua) so perhaps there's something about the unbranded firmware?...

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@pozzello - thanks for checking!

I am using the Explorer app that is embedded in Win 10 apparently? Mine is Version 11.719.18362.0. Can't see a way to update it like if it were installed as a program. Quick search and it says it is updated.

My camera was purchased from @EMPIRETECANDY on this forum.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
hm. then maybe check with Andy on latest firmware? I understand the 'general' vs 'dahua branded' are interchangeable, as long as the fw supports the hardware (as determined by HWID)

then again. H265 encoding saves network transmission cost, so maybe just not important on your LAN (from cam to BI)...

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any word on an updated version of this cam? seems like it can be great at the front door giving a good view of approaching people AND right below where packages are dropped

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a second one from @EMPIRETECANDY less than 10 days ago, so you should still be able to get this exact model. And I bought it for exactly that use case (good view of everyone walking up to the porch and simultaneous view of the package dropoff location ON the porch).
Cool! ya, i have one of the 2mp starlight's there now for the approach and another that looks down the side of the house in corridor mode and picks up a bit of the front door....this one would cover both and then I could re-purpose one of the 2mp for another location...did you remove the bubble covers to reduce ir reflection at night? Also, wondering what price you got? could you msg me if not post here?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Also, wondering what price you got? could you msg me if not post here?
Just PM @EMPIRETECANDY on these forums, he'll hook you up and tell you what is in stock.

I haven't installed it yet, hoping to run the wires this weekend at least to the door area, but I need to TEST it first in a couple candidate spots to see if it will receive blinding sun at any point in the day. I hadn't planned on removing the domes, I think it would significantly reduce the water resistance. What I want to verify is if I can put it flat on the wall near the door or if I need a sun shield or possibly a wall mount slightly higher on a mount like the PFB203W (I have to check which one fits that camera first).

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
don't remove the domes. I had to re-focus mine when i swapped lenses, and i remember the dome affected focus, which makes adjusting focus quite a trial-n-error process.
so if you remove your domes, you not only loose boobie-ness and weather resistance, but you'll need to adjust lens focus as well...

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
any word on an updated version of this cam? seems like it can be great at the front door giving a good view of approaching people AND right below where packages are dropped
This device supports IVS but it doesn't support IVS for both cams. Apparently it only supports IVS for one of the cams. @EMPIRETECANDY we really need an update to this cam so IVS works for both cams.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I've saw a prior post where someone was complaining about IR reflections being terrible with this cam at night but I have not noticed such a phenomenon and the whiner didn't bother to post a pic of the issue. I have it mounted in a area that potentially is a worst case scenario...uplighting from the flower beds and IR lighting coming from another cam. Only issue I see is self-inflicted on the walkway cam (camera #2) that shows some reflection off of garden lights. The other cam (camera #1) has IR light coming from a cam directly below which doesn't seem to impact it. Both cams have their internal IR lights on with no consequences. Installation here >> Boobie Cam Install

Walkway 2020-04-23 03.00.09.388 AM.jpg

FrontDoor 2020-04-24 04.00.11.866 AM.jpg

Reaction score
I was definitely one person experiencing the issue. We had worked out in another thread that it is most likely some residue left behind by the foam rings on the plastic dome. I just haven’t been back in the past year to clean my domes real good to confirm hehe.

Since I have a new one to install I can post before and after pics hopefully if the problem occurs with this camera.

Marc Finns

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i see that the IPC-HDBW4231F-E2-M is now supported by Synology.
Does anyone know whether this appears as two cams or is there are any restrictions compared to two actual cams?
I would like to find out before I buy it...
Thanks!

Reaction score
You see the camera as one IP address with channel 1 and 2. They are mapped as Camera 1 Channel 1 and Camera 1 Channel 2. You need a licence for each channel. They work perfectly in Surveillance Station.

Marc Finns

n3wb
Reaction score
You see the camera as one IP address with channel 1 and 2. They are mapped as Camera 1 Channel 1 and Camera 1 Channel 2. You need a licence for each channel. They work perfectly in Surveillance Station.
Hi Walter, thanks for the immediate reply!
Does this mean that cameras do not have the hi and lo resolution streams?
thanks again, m.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Received from EmpireTech Andy via Amazon Prime today. Got both camera streams connected in Blue Iris in about 10 minutes. What I did was after acquiring the camera in Blue Iris, I went back to the 'Add a New Camera' dialog, and entered the same IP address, same username and password, and after the 'Find/Inspect' session, then I saw the Main stream string, with that option to change the channel 1 to the channel 2 as LooneyTunes had shown.

The camera is drawing between 4.97W to 5.55W here in the office while testing.

Last edited:

Marc Finns

n3wb
Reaction score
I received the cam today from Andy. Works fine, but the reflection with IR on makes it almost unusable!
Anyone having the same issues?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I received the cam today from Andy. Works fine, but the reflection with IR on makes it almost unusable!
Anyone having the same issues?
Don't have a problem at all. Make sure you clean the dome both INSIDE and OUTSIDE of it. Post a pic. It could have residue on it from the manufacturing process.