IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
- nvr changed to 192.168.1.110
- cam in poe switch and resetted
- cam became visible on configtool als 192.168.1.108 but 'uninitialized'
- was not able to initialize via configtool
- removed from poe switch
- plugged into nvr but not showing
- when entering manual adress: 192.168.1.108 error cannot connect to host.
Follow the instructions closely, no one told you to use config tool to initialize it.
The NVR will do that. Make certain that you indeed reset it to factory defaults.
Wait at least 5 minutes after plugging into the NVR after a reset.

karl1980

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Follow the instructions closely, no one told you to use config tool to initialize it.
The NVR will do that. Make certain that you indeed reset it to factory defaults.
Wait at least 5 minutes after plugging into the NVR after a reset.
instructions clear.
1 up and running.
second one gives me error (see pic).
nvr and cam 1 different IP, so no conflict.

Attachments

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan on purchasing one of these to put under a flood light between my 2 garage doors. It will be mounted on the siding. Doesn't look compatible with the regular waterproof mounts. Any idea how this is to be mounted outdoors so it is water tight? Just need to use some sort of bushing and feed it into a junction box on the inside wall?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I plan on purchasing one of these to put under a flood light between my 2 garage doors. It will be mounted on the siding. Doesn't look compatible with the regular waterproof mounts. Any idea how this is to be mounted outdoors so it is water tight? Just need to use some sort of bushing and feed it into a junction box on the inside wall?
You could do that, requires a big hole for the jack to be passed into the garage.
Might purchase a small junction box with a cover, mount cam to cover, run cable into one of the access holes. Seal as needed.
Then all you need to run through the wall is the un-terminated ethernet.
Put everything inside juction box.

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
You could do that, requires a big hole for the jack to be passed into the garage.
Might purchase a small junction box with a cover, mount cam to cover, run cable into one of the access holes. Seal as needed.
Then all you need to run through the wall is the un-terminated ethernet.
Put everything inside juction box.
Thanks. I ordered a 2231 as well, might also just try mounting that on the clapboard siding, though I think it will stick down .8". Gonna do a test of both first to see which I like then go from there. Thanks for the input!

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
Y run cable into one of the access holes. Seal as needed.
Any suggestion on how to seal the wire running into the junction box? Seems the grommet would need to have a slice in the side to get the wire through before sealing? I spent an hour at home depot looking for something last night. Not a lot of luck online but I can spend more time looking. This guy here is using a camera specific mount that has a nice grommet for cables with a head on the end.

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I installed one of these (hfw1831c) the other day and I'm having some issues. Hoping you guys can help. Purchased from Empire Tech Amazon store. Using BI only for detection everything works as expected. For the life of me I can not get the PIR detection function of the camera to work, trying to use the cameras own settings. The cameras own motion detection works (can make zone adjustments) and the light / alarm work. But I can not adjust the pir zones. The window will not allow any adjustments. Just a black screen. The firmware is the latest I believe, 03/2019. Is there some other setting that must be enabled to switch on the PIR sensor adjustments?
The other issue I have is the camera feed randomly glitches and distorts (see pic). BI detects this as motion. It only happens during the day and the camera is near a light so the ir never comes on at night. What would cause this?

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any suggestion on how to seal the wire running into the junction box? Seems the grommet would need to have a slice in the side to get the wire through before sealing? I spent an hour at home depot looking for something last night. Not a lot of luck online but I can spend more time looking. This guy here is using a camera specific mount that has a nice grommet for cables with a head on the end.
Run an un-terminated ethernet cable through the grommet, then terminat.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I installed one of these (hfw1831c) the other day and I'm having some issues. Hoping you guys can help. Purchased from Empire Tech Amazon store. Using BI only for detection everything works as expected. For the life of me I can not get the PIR detection function of the camera to work, trying to use the cameras own settings. The cameras own motion detection works (can make zone adjustments) and the light / alarm work. But I can not adjust the pir zones. The window will not allow any adjustments. Just a black screen. The firmware is the latest I believe, 03/2019. Is there some other setting that must be enabled to switch on the PIR sensor adjustments?
The other issue I have is the camera feed randomly glitches and distorts (see pic). BI detects this as motion. It only happens during the day and the camera is near a light so the ir never comes on at night. What would cause this?

You have to install the plugin from the camera to see all settings.
The tearing is typically a dropped packet issue, IE cable problem. Did you use the 568b standard when making your cables?
You make need to recrimp a new Rj45.
Or you are running the camera data through your router, which you should not do. Plug into a POE switch and bypass the router.

Reaction score
You have to install the plugin from the camera to see all settings.
The tearing is typically a dropped packet issue, IE cable problem. Did you use the 568b standard when making your cables?
You make need to recrimp a new Rj45.
Or you are running the camera data through your router, which you should not do. Plug into a POE switch and bypass the router.
Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions: yes to 568b, my home network consists of a pfsense firewall router and a Poe L2+ switch. The router handles all the home network vlans including a dedicated surveillance vlan. As for the plugin, are you referring to the web based gui of the camera? That is what I used to setup the camera before adding to BI. PIR setting blanked out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions: yes to 568b, my home network consists of a pfsense firewall router and a Poe L2+ switch. The router handles all the home network vlans including a dedicated surveillance vlan. As for the plugin, are you referring to the web based gui of the camera? That is what I used to setup the camera before adding to BI. PIR setting blanked out.
Make sure you don't have smart codec selected.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The window will not allow any adjustments. Just a black screen. The firmware is the latest I believe, 03/2019.
I have the same problem with the current firmware when using Chrome or Firefox. I haven't tried using IE and the plugin yet though.

If you're wanting BI to only record when the PIR sensor is triggered, that'll take a little more setup within BI. I'm not sure if it's detailed in this thread, give a shout if that's something you're interested in.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with the current firmware when using Chrome or Firefox. I haven't tried using IE and the plugin yet though.

If you're wanting BI to only record when the PIR sensor is triggered, that'll take a little more setup within BI. I'm not sure if it's detailed in this thread, give a shout if that's something you're interested in.
I have read your previous posts about this. I want BI to do all the detection stuff. The PIR functions I was trying to test out to see how they worked. And like I said, I can't change the zone settings in Event>alarm>pir settings. The tab which is basically like the motion detection zone/area settings. Only displays a black screen where the feed and grid should be.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And like I said, I can't change the zone settings in Event>alarm>pir settings.
Just tested @looney2ns's suggestion of using IE11 + the plugin that the camera requests that you download and it worked fine (screenshot below). Doesn't work for me using Chrome or Firefox.

For the few minutes that I just played around with it, it looks like PIR Alarm and Video Detection still share the same settings in the Area box... meaning whatever settings you make to the area, sensitive or threshold in the Video Detection Area box are what get used in PIR Alarm Area box (and vice-versa). I only mention this because I have no problem using Chrome or Firefox to set anything in the Video Detection area.

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 1.03.41 PM.png

Jared K

n3wb
Reaction score
Run an un-terminated ethernet cable through the grommet, then terminat.
Yes, I found watertight grommets for un-terminated cables. What I'm looking to do is find a way to get the wire from the camera into the junction box. Wire does not go through the mount, like most cameras. It's just a loose female Ethernet jack attached to end of wire with the water tight fitting. Too think to run through a grommet so you need a side entrance grommet kind of think like in that video.

Reaction score
Just tested @looney2ns's suggestion of using IE11 + the plugin that the camera requests that you download and it worked fine (screenshot below). Doesn't work for me using Chrome or Firefox.

For the few minutes that I just played around with it, it looks like PIR Alarm and Video Detection still share the same settings in the Area box... meaning whatever settings you make to the area, sensitive or threshold in the Video Detection Area box are what get used in PIR Alarm Area box (and vice-versa). I only mention this because I have no problem using Chrome or Firefox to set anything in the Video Detection area.

View attachment 45969
Same here. Chrome and edge work fine for everything else except the pir area screen.I mainly have been using Edge. I will try IE11 later after I get home.

@looney2ns , after disabling smart codec there have been no screen tear errors. They were pretty consistent before.

Reaction score
@aristobrat , @looney2ns
I just want to follow up. Using IE11 with the plugin, everything is working as expected. A couple new options in the gui settings have appeared that weren't available in Edge or Chrome. Disabling the smart codec seems to have fixed the screen tearing as well. Thank You is an understatement. Having been a long lurker and now a member, I look forward to engaging with you and the rest of the community here.