Review-Dahua IPC-HFW7842HP-Z AI, ANPR Ultra 8MP Varifocal Starlight Cam

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns what bitrate are you running? I would think it would want at least 10Mbps to realize the potential, mebbe more?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Focal length up to 32mm or 64mm would also be nice :cool:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Does this have Smart IR? I noticed as you were walking up to the camera the IR illumination was getting in the way.

Edit: never mind, noticed in the OP that the Smart IR is still yet to be implemented :facepalm:

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Noticed that like the 5442, when zoomed way in, the Smart IR tries to work, not too bad. But anything less and we still have a big Smart IR problem.

I wish I understood why they can't implement the same adjustable sensitivity setting for Smart IR on IP cameras like they have on CVI cameras?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
I think the IR needs to be reduced. On my cameras I actually have it turned off except for the LPR cameras and a couple of others.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Noticed that like the 5442, when zoomed way in, the Smart IR tries to work, not too bad. But anything less and we still have a big Smart IR problem.

I wish I understood why they can't implement the same adjustable sensitivity setting for Smart IR on IP cameras like they have on CVI cameras?
I think that is the Zoom priority attempting to work.
I forgot to try it set to auto last night, but I'm not holding my breath.
I found some helpful info digging in this manual that explains how ZP works.
https://dahuasecurity.s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com/uploads/soft/20190723/Dahua-Network-Camera-Web3.0-Operation-Manual_V1.0.614.pdf
But yeah, smart IR it is NOT.
If anyone can decode the info about Pixel Counter on pages 86-87 in the above manual, Please share. The way it's worded doesn't compute with me.

I'm having issue's getting tripwire to work at all with it set to filter automobile.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Be sure to chose 4k in youtube player.

Well we have the missing Smart IR in this firmware just as in a couple of other AI cams. It's listed in the spec's, but no where to be found in the firmware settings.

In the night video, the IR is set to Zoom Priority. All settings except time and channel title are at factory defaults. There is an "Auto" IR setting like in other new cams, I will give that a go tonight see if anything is different.

Daytime Still shot: View attachment 47607

Hello looney2ns
I downloaded the still to examine how much detail can be seen in the image when zoomed. I wanted to judge how much better it is than my 2MP cams, particularly with blurring in the grass and your concrete drive. But I struggled to make a valid comparison. I'm sure you will already have one of your 2MP cams with the same scene. So with the same daylight conditions etc, does it show more detail? Posting a snapshot from both at around the same time would be good for us all to compare.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello looney2ns
I downloaded the still to examine how much detail can be seen in the image when zoomed. I wanted to judge how much better it is than my 2MP cams, particularly with blurring in the grass and your concrete drive. But I struggled to make a valid comparison. I'm sure you will already have one of your 2MP cams with the same scene. So with the same daylight conditions etc, does it show more detail? Posting a snapshot from both at around the same time would be good for us all to compare.
Bit rate on the 8mp is now at 12,228
See attached.

Attachments

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I test the 7442 one, the IR work great.

Nighttime select HLC can make the pic not too bright, pics looks more fresh.

View attachment 47743
upload_2019-9-23_22-57-37.png

upload_2019-9-23_22-58-51.png
I tested at storgae room, very dark, seems the IR light works ok.I make some walking, also ok.

upload_2019-9-23_22-42-39.png

Last edited: