Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Steve / All

I want to point out that this cam (49225XA-HNR), even with the latest FW does not support Face Recognition. It supports Face Detection as an option but not Face Recognition in cam. These are very different of course. Face Detection is the ability to detect a Facial target and capture an image of that face, 1" or close up snap then display metadata for that Face embedded in the capture. However Facial Recognition is the ability (in cam and on NVR for supported devices) to take a database (or build one) of facial images and when the camera detects a target, matches those (with a degree of certainty) to that database, displaying the result. Again, out of the box, the 49225 only support Face Detection. I will be showing how Facial Recognition in cam can work on the SD8a840 4K PTZ review I'm working on.

Now with all that said, there are NVR's (as well as 3rd party platforms and SW depending on your use case) that can take a Face Detection feed (or in the case of cloud platform, any feed) and process for Face Recognition regardless of camera abilities. In Dahua's range of NVR's one of these is the IVSS7008-1I (Link to Dahua Ultra AI NVR). Regular NVR's including the Pro AI series can process only what the camera's abilities let it. For example a 5216 will take Face Detection only from the 49225 and will error on the camera not supporting capabilities when trying to setup Face Recognition (NVR side) for the cam. So just wanted all to be careful of the distinction between these 2 similar but processed very differently, capabilities.

One last tip on this, when you look at a Dahua NVR spec and you see 'Up to 4 Channel video stream face recognition' that just means that IF you have 4 Facial Recognition capable cameras the NVR can process 4 simultaneous streams, matching Faces captured to the database on the NVR. However, if you see either 'Up to 8-channel face recognition with normal IPC' or 'Up to 20-channel face recognition with face detection IPC' this is showing that the NVR itself is able to take the stream, apply AI and recognize from cameras that do NOT have native Facial Recognition capabilities.

Hope that helps

I hadn't even known this camera has facial recognition until this post.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Albeit this model can only work with one AI feature at a time. Can't opt for face detection and IVS at the same time. I don't think it diminishes the potential of this camera though. The IVS, presets, and auto-tracking, all in tandem makes this camera the ultimate beast.

Reaction score
Oh that's my error. Thank you for correcting me Wildcat_1. I have an NVR5216-16P-I which can process recognition streams but as Wildcat_1 said, the SD49225XA-HNR PTZ does facial detection which is not the same. Sorry for the mix up. I was not careful with my words in distinguishing between these two capabilities.

Steve-K

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that's just me reading too much in to every little word read. My flaw until it comes time for ordering...then I really screw up royally. Like at present, I am awaiting two of these cameras from Andy and have ordered the PFB303W bracket for those. Come to find out they are the wrong bracket. SMH . Is there an adaptor that will allow these mounts to be used with the SD-49225XA-HNR or do I use these heavy duty things to hang a noose from?
PFA110 possibly?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I mounted mine to the side of my house with the PFB305W Wall Mount that came with it and ordered a PFA120 Water-proof Junction Box to put behind it. Glad I did too. The wires take a lot of space.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
PFB305 & the PFA120 is the way to go with this one Steve

Yes, that's just me reading too much in to every little word read. My flaw until it comes time for ordering...then I really screw up royally. Like at present, I am awaiting two of these cameras from Andy and have ordered the PFB303W bracket for those. Come to find out they are the wrong bracket. SMH . Is there an adaptor that will allow these mounts to be used with the SD-49225XA-HNR or do I use these heavy duty things to hang a noose from?
PFA110 possibly?

Steve-K

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, thats your bonus, your get the mount Steve :) Just pickup a PFA120 and depending on where you are installing some great fasteners. If going deep into wood exterior then I highly recommend the Spax Lag Screws such as these Home Depot Spax Screws
Yay I won!!! Now I need to figure out what to do with these extra mounts. Maybe more cameras? These things are getting addicting like potato chips, flashlights, mountain bikes and beer.

I don't see why the picture shows the camera only though.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, more cameras. Welcome to The Matrix :D

Yay I won!!! Now I need to figure out what to do with these extra mounts. Maybe more cameras? These things are getting addicting like potato chips, flashlights, mountain bikes and beer.

I don't see why the picture shows the camera only though.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
@Steve-K the camera with autotracking,the firmware build date is 20200310 , if camera come with this firmware it will supports the autotracking. But you have to set up the presets and IVS then can make it work. The alarm track is back on the new firmware.
1585016275608.png

feivel2211

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys, im just playing around with the autotracking firmware. I wonder why tracking time is always been resetted to "15 seconds" again.
No matter what value i insert, after clicking back to the "deep ivs" menu entry, there is 15 seconds again.
Is the auto track time depending of some other value?

Attachments