Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rcirz that is now where you will want to define Target Tracking Size and Alarm Track time which will help with this. Also ensure you don't have IDLE time or Tour's conflicting that are pulling your PTZ back to a preset etc and tripping you up.

As I mentioned in another thread LOCATED HERE, you can still use PTZ Activation (call to preset) and nested presets BUT if you want to use with Deep IVS, the options change as I explain there. If you use with an NVR then you can set it up in there for the channel as I list in that thread. Take a look at that post and as always if you need any help, reach out.

Got the new firmware and autotracking works pretty well but it is a new learning curve for me. I am trying to understand the logic. Now, tripwires and intrusion boxes no longer have an option for sending the camera to a preset. It seems that when an event is triggered, the camera will attempt to track the object in the direction of the closest preset in the direction the object is traveling and goes to that preset. Sometimes it zooms, sometimes it doesn't. I also had instances of the camera picking up an object and starts to pan to the object and then in a flash, it goes back to the home position, like it was scared lol. I am glad I saved my cam config file so if things aren't as useful, I can go back to the firmware that allows Deep IVS to go to presets. I am definitely not giving up. It is exciting to have tracking that doesn't spin my camera like a top. Lots of testing to be done.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rcirz that is now where you will want to define Target Tracking Size and Alarm Track time which will help with this. Also ensure you don't have IDLE time or Tour's conflicting that are pulling your PTZ back to a preset etc and tripping you up.

As I mentioned in another thread LOCATED HERE, you can still use PTZ Activation (call to preset) and nested presets BUT if you want to use with Deep IVS, the options change as I explain there. If you use with an NVR then you can set it up in there for the channel as I list in that thread. Take a look at that post and as always if you need any help, reach out.
What does Target Tracking Size do? Will a larger size (eg. 100) ignore smaller targets like small animals? I tried playing around with it but didn't get varying results. Also noticed that when an intrusion box is triggered, the camera ignores me walking and stays stuck on the preset it goes to and I walk right out of the frame. Tried deleting that preset and when the trigger occurs, I see a Invalid preset message.

Last edited:

djborden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been following along and gathering a great deal of info from the thread, however there are still a few holes in my understanding.

Is there a place that describes the difference and significance of the Draw Rule, the two different Draw Target buttons, Target Filter, Pixel Counter and Tracking Target Size?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@djborden

These are mentioned through my other reviews, other threads etc but will quickly detail here for you.
The significance of Draw Rule is significant. Specifically that you create this in conjunction with a Rule Type such as Intrusion, Tripwire etc as part of an IVS rule set to capture / track targets, therefore YES its needed.

Target Buttons - The 2 different Target Buttons (Top = Target Filter Max/Min size, Bottom = Pixel Counter size).​
Target Filter - are boxes you draw on screen in both a Maximum & Minimum size and relate to that of the defined target for the camera to apply that criteria when deciding whether it should react / record / track within your rule.​
Pixel Counter - is a measurement tool that allows you to define down to pixel level the size of target that matches your requirement for entering into the Target Filter boxes.​
Object Filter utilizes AI against your selection (Human, Vehicle etc) to filter out garbage captures such as leaves blowing, ball rolling across FOV or even IR splash movement (from other PTZ's, yes this is a thing on non AI cams) from being recorded.​
Target Tracking Size - (@rcirz this one hopefully helps you too) Remember all the above work together to define your target and overall scene for IVS rules. Target Tracking Size is defined as a portion / percentage of your final scene or FOV. The scene is bound by criteria above including object filtering, max target size etc etc. The Tracking Target size relates to how the PTZ adjusts itself in motion or tracking while ensuring it keeps the defined target within its FOV. You could also state it that its a percentage of the FOV that it will look to intelligently fill with the target WHERE POSSIBLE. This plays a large role (and is a huge underrated / mis-understood benefit) with AI PTZ’s by ensuring they more accurately track and keep a target on screen through the tracking time window while honoring your requirements for target size to be met before tracking engages. You have to be careful here though, too tight and you will lose a target, too loose and you won’t get enough detail and run the risk of another ‘object / potential target’ distracting the PTZ.​

Check out my videos in my 59232 review HERE and my 4K 8A840 review HERE where I show you what can be achieved by dialing these in (you see the end result) and how you can build the PTZ config to stay on target through the entirety of a timed event.

HTH

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@djborden

These are mentioned through my other reviews, other threads etc but will quickly detail here for you.
The significance of Draw Rule is significant. Specifically that you create this in conjunction with a Rule Type such as Intrusion, Tripwire etc as part of an IVS rule set to capture / track targets, therefore YES its needed.

Target Buttons - The 2 different Target Buttons (Top = Target Filter Max/Min size, Bottom = Pixel Counter size).​
Target Filter - are boxes you draw on screen in both a Maximum & Minimum size and relate to that of the defined target for the camera to apply that criteria when deciding whether it should react / record / track within your rule.​
Pixel Counter - is a measurement tool that allows you to define down to pixel level the size of target that matches your requirement for entering into the Target Filter boxes.​
Object Filter utilizes AI against your selection (Human, Vehicle etc) to filter out garbage captures such as leaves blowing, ball rolling across FOV or even IR splash movement (from other PTZ's, yes this is a thing on non AI cams) from being recorded.​
Target Tracking Size - (@rcirz this one hopefully helps you too) Remember all the above work together to define your target and overall scene for IVS rules. Target Tracking Size is defined as a portion / percentage of your final scene or FOV. The scene is bound by criteria above including object filtering, max target size etc etc. The Tracking Target size relates to how the PTZ adjusts itself in motion or tracking while ensuring it keeps the defined target within its FOV. You could also state it that its a percentage of the FOV that it will look to intelligently fill with the target WHERE POSSIBLE. This plays a large role (and is a huge underrated / mis-understood benefit) with AI PTZ’s by ensuring they more accurately track and keep a target on screen through the tracking time window while honoring your requirements for target size to be met before tracking engages. You have to be careful here though, too tight and you will lose a target, too loose and you won’t get enough detail and run the risk of another ‘object / potential target’ distracting the PTZ.​

Check out my videos in my 59232 review HERE and my 4K 8A840 review HERE where I show you what can be achieved by dialing these in (you see the end result) and how you can build the PTZ config to stay on target through the entirety of a timed event.

HTH
Thank you very much for taking the time to summarize. I will need to read many more of your reviews so as not to waste your time with redundant questions. You're the best!

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@ArmoredDragon to be completely honest, if you are not sure what a PTZ is and in what situation to use it then you probably don't need one and can save some money :)
I'm familiar with PTZ cameras, just not any kind of systems or cameras that will automatically follow objects, nor do I know how to set that part up.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
My recent UK purchase of the SD49225XA-HNR and it doesn't show any of the previous problems I have with the one I got from China.

I have not seen any symptoms of the PTZ slip over the past 24hrs and is as quit as a mouse's fart even when pushed from extreme West to East presets from multiple presets.

I have a UK sourced Auto Tracking firmware which I upgraded as soon as I received the camera as it came with the Auto tracking disabled. I'm more than happy with it's performance Day & Night along with AT.

Having dialled in the settings I would now say it has a 90-95% + success rate while tracking it's superb. My results are in comparison with much more expensive 5 and 6 series which it wipes the floor with. I set all the parameters and tracking size was set between 80-100 which enabled the camera to zoom in that bit more which was needed to get a good face recognition as well as a cars registration.

Now I am 100% happy with this camera and is well worth the £290 delivered with a 3 year UK warranty for peace of mind.

djborden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@djborden

HTH
Thank you! Its very much appreciated! David

Cameraguy

Known around here
Reaction score
Post #2 - Initial Pics & Videos

2.1 - Initial Video Of Auto Tracking
I wanted to get a post up of the auto tracking speed and performance of this camera as that is a) one of the most asked questions of me for this camera so far and b) lets be honest is something that is a phenomenal feature of PTZ’s………when it works.

So before I mount outside, I wanted to perform a lights on / lights off full IR test in a dark room to see how this new PTZ holds up. So this is a little test I like to called, Hide & Seek. Without spoiling the video, this camera is responsive. Even if it reverts to preset (loses a target briefly, tracking time expires, doesn’t match target criteria of what you defined like Human or Vehicle) it picks back up almost instantly and continues to track. Even if the AI blips for a second, Deep IVS kicks in and ensures tracking is fluent. I want to point out again, this test is not for image (more tweaks later for that) but for auto tracking only.

Exposure set to 1/250 (not really needed but was testing with vehicles earlier, will set to more applicable expo and dial in pic later), SmartIR = On, SMD = ON & Human/Vehicle, Smart Plan = Deep IVS (Human/Vehicle). All other settings were set to defaults for initial testing.
Testing was on a small make shift rig for this testing only, excuse the temporary cabling ;) Lastly, thought I saw a slight smudge, sure enough after capturing saw one on the lens, will clean for the next test.

Take a look (especially at 53s, 1:57 & 4:53, 5:55 where I try to hammer the tracking) and let me know with any questions. More to come.

2.2 - Night Video, Deep IVS Auto Tracking & Showing How To Use Spotter Cams For Triangulation

Ok all, as promised here are some first clips. I shot some night ones today and wanted to show how triangulated captures zones can work using spotter cams. I have a number of these setup across different cams and install location but in this case I literally put this together in under 10 minutes to show what can be possible albeit this is down and dirty version. Usually I make the triangulation zones crisper but wanted to get this out to show you the possibilities for those that haven’t used this before. This is also an opportunity for you to see what the night time (with a little dialing in, more to come) can look like and the auto tracking outside with real obstacles like trees etc. Let me know any comments or questions as I continue to test and review the unit.

The Xmas lights dropped down over the 2831 (another thing to fix) hence splash back but still worked for this demo :)
Also, added bonus, enjoy as the food delivery guy in the ford suv missed the house then came back :)

More to come

Damn dude nice!!

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow! I am blown away with how well this camera works with the firmware update. The tracking is spot on and puts the 59230 to shame. Glad I purchased it. After using Wildcat1's pracrices, I couldn't ask for much more, especially at this price point.

Reaction score

Hey Wildcat,

How do you manage this? Say the camera is touring and spots something and starts tracking something just before time to move to next preset. My experience suggests if it is time to move to a different preset while tracking, it will give up and go to the preset. Is there a way around this? No NVR here, just controlling through the web app and capturing video and alerting through BI. Thanks.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Now I am 100% happy with this camera and is well worth the £290 delivered with a 3 year UK warranty for peace of mind.
Is that +VAT mate or including please?

Have to admit I'm tempted to swap out the 59225 and sell that on locally.

djborden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been experimenting with @Wildcat_1 's settings and having some success. One thing I have run in to, is when trying to save things like Alarm Track time and Period settings, they are not sticking. They are going back to the default settings when leaving the screen and coming back in.. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I did a reset to default(without changing my account and network settings) and that did not help. I did not do a complete reset to stock though.

Re the "AI Live" tab, is that still a beta thing and not on the most current software?

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with @Wildcat_1 's settings and having some success. One thing I have run in to, is when trying to save things like Alarm Track time and Period settings, they are not sticking. They are going back to the default settings when leaving the screen and coming back in.. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I did a reset to default(without changing my account and network settings) and that did not help. I did not do a complete reset to stock though.

Re the "AI Live" tab, is that still a beta thing and not on the most current software?
Use MS Edge / IE instead of chrome.

djborden

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, that worked! Does the Period Settings need to be set? I tried to add every day for Period 1 and and save it but that is not sticking either Explorer.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
It's been 4 days now since I installed this camera and it is not showing any signs of my last one in regards to PTZ slip and noise while panning. I forgot how good of a performance Day Night this camera provides and is well worth the money and that's coming from a 6 series.

If anyone in the UK is interested I have a trade account at a few Dahua Authorised dealers here in the UK and I am willing to pass my discount onto any forum members with 100 posts or more.

Reaction score
I'm using the Deep IVS feature for detection and disabling the more generic" video detection" event detection capability. But for some reason, the video detection check box keeps being re-enabled. I don't know when it is happening or why, any ideas all? I'm using IE to modify the settings and they do hold when I check the settings again after a short period of time.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
What are you using for an NVR platform, stand-alone or BI ?

I'm using the Deep IVS feature for detection and disabling the more generic" video detection" event detection capability. But for some reason, the video detection check box keeps being re-enabled. I don't know when it is happening or why, any ideas all? I'm using IE to modify the settings and they do hold when I check the settings again after a short period of time.