Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
My camera looses it's preset all the time no matter where I set that preset. I have tried the function PTZ reset many times as well as fully reset to Factory and still the same scenario.

I always use the camera without the IR and run of a 5m Ethernet Over its own POE 30W injector.

@ Andy - Can you chase Dahua for a firmware fix for this problem or is it a hardware problem so a faulty camera which needs returning , please advise. I know you mentioned to me in Skype that the 4mp version was having lots of problems and been put back many times so maybe this have evolved from the 2mp version also.

SkyLake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My camera looses it's preset all the time no matter where I set that preset. I have tried the function PTZ reset many times as well as fully reset to Factory and still the same scenario.
Maybe a dumb question, but did you click on the save icon, after creating the ptz preset?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but did you click on the save icon, after creating the ptz preset?
Haha and not a dumb question but yes after every setting the SAVE ICON is hit all in IE (Internet Explorer) and to see other members having the same problem also is more concerning.

guppie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome review, this camera looks really nice!

I had a question on mounting - you used PFA120 and PFB305. Do mounts come with the camera or were these required and purchased separately?

Thanks!

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome review, this camera looks really nice!

I had a question on mounting - you used PFA120 and PFB305. Do mounts come with the camera or were these required and purchased separately?

Thanks!
The Mounting bracket PFB305 comes with the camera but the mounting box PFA120 you need to purchase separate. I would advise to hold of buying this camera yet because of the many problems above unless you are not going to use the Ai features and auto tracking features of this camera.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All. I’m going to be setting up a test to mirror @mech presets as although I saw and was able to reproduce the ‘confused preset’ issue on the original FW (reported to Dahua), this has not occurred on the newer FW for me. What I want to do is also mimic any other settings that can adjust camera position (outside of auto tracking) you are using so to share what I have:

Time Based Tasks - 2 Tours (day/night) that trigger a set amount of presets at given times.

Auto home set to 30 seconds. Each preset has IVS rules and auto tracking set.

PTZ activation where I have 3 cams set to spot and activate this PTZ to set presets when certain IVS rules on those cams trigger activity.

Again, to confirm, currently on the latest FW (been testing for over 2 weeks) I personally am not seeing this preset issue in the config I’m running. Nor am I seeing any issues with auto tracking. To be honest I see better tracking performance on this cam than my SD6C.

Will test mechs setup and report back after a few days of testing.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
@ Wildcat_1
Can you please share the newer firmware.

Below is what my camera came with.

System VersionV2.800.0000000.17.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2019-08-19
WEB Version V3.2.1.776963
ONVIF Version 18.12(V2.4.5.729857)
PTZ Version V2.401.0000000.41.RHNZ_190712_32701
Security Baseline VersionV2.0

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All. I’m going to be setting up a test to mirror @mech presets as although I saw and was able to reproduce the ‘confused preset’ issue on the original FW (reported to Dahua), this has not occurred on the newer FW for me. What I want to do is also mimic any other settings that can adjust camera position (outside of auto tracking) you are using so to share what I have:

Time Based Tasks - 2 Tours (day/night) that trigger a set amount of presets at given times.

Auto home set to 30 seconds. Each preset has IVS rules and auto tracking set.

PTZ activation where I have 3 cams set to spot and activate this PTZ to set presets when certain IVS rules on those cams trigger activity.

Again, to confirm, currently on the latest FW (been testing for over 2 weeks) I personally am not seeing this preset issue in the config I’m running. Nor am I seeing any issues with auto tracking. To be honest I see better tracking performance on this cam than my SD6C.

Will test mechs setup and report back after a few days of testing.
Thanks @Wildcat_1. Andy had me try the firmware he gave to you, and it's not helping my PTZ. It will arbitrarily scramble its Pan heading, so when it goes to Preset 1 or any other preset, it'll pan to whatever Pan value that preset had, but now that could be any random direction. If you saw my latest video, you see the PTZ Reset complete, it's at Pan 0.0 for a moment, then it tries to turn to its home preset of Preset 1, but turns only a little while the Pan values act as if it turned 150 degrees.

So that disparity between the camera's actual movement, and how much it THINKS it moved, is the core issue. I just did a quick demo (below). In the video, I've just set up a fresh Preset 1. Motion tracking and IVS are completely disabled. I use the camera's Web GUI to try to pan it to the right, and the cam twitches a little bit, while the Pan numbers climb as if it had actually moved. When I swing it back to its home direction, the Pan number is now around 358 instead of 236.

After shooting this clip, I did a PTZ Restart and the camera is now aiming a few degrees right of Pan 0.0, but claims it's at Pan 236.5. @EMPIRETECANDY said he was going to talk to Dahua, it's been a couple weeks since I've heard anything though :(

guppie

n3wb
Reaction score
I noticed this morning my nvr (5216) showed a software update available. The update notes said it was to improve ivs tracking among other things... maybe this is related to the “loosing home” issue?

The version 4 software I downloaded from Andy’s link ended in .0, the new software ends in .5.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Under firmware 2.800.0000013.0.R, Build Date: 2019-12-0, I was trying to use imog's method for letting autofocus set things at dusk and then lock into manual mode.

The current firmware does not seem to accept multiple simultaneous settings. At least they are not reflected in the web GUI when checking the settings. However, individually setting things works. Also, the firmware expects to receive things in digest form rather than with inline username & password.

My night mode python script is thus...

#-------- night mode script. Run this at 30 min before sunset and again later in the dark.
import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPDigestAuth
import time

#night profile
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=1'
requests.get(url, auth=HTTPDigestAuth('admin', '[password]'))
time.sleep(1)

#autofocus mode
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInFocus[0][1].Mode=2'
time.sleep(1)

#long exposure to allow better autofocus function
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInExposure[0][1].Value1=1&VideoInExposure[0][1].Value2=100'
#wait several seconds
time.sleep(10)

#manual focus mode
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInFocus[0][1].Mode=4'
time.sleep(1)

#short exposure for LPR
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInExposure[0][1].Value1=1&VideoInExposure[0][1].Value2=1'
time.sleep(1)

=====================================================================

My day mode script simply sets to day profile

#day mode script runs 30 min after sunrise
import requests
from requests.auth import HTTPDigestAuth
import time

#Set PTZ for daytime ========
#day profile
url = 'http://[cameraIP]/cgi-bin/configManager.cgi?action=setConfig&VideoInMode[0].Config[0]=0'
time.sleep(1)

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Upgraded the firmware and the PTZ 3D fix file and now running the below after Andy sent me the new files.

System Version V2.800.0000002.3.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2019-11-21
WEB VersionV3.2.1.819501
ONVIF Version18.12(V2.4.5.729857)
PTZ VersionV2.401.0000000.45.RHNZ_190815_33003
Security Baseline VersionV2.0

I have set the same Deep IVS smart plan as before and values to see if this fixes my problem and will report back.
Please remember you have to use the default setting after the firmware update always.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Just to update the thread: The newer firmware has not fixed my camera it still looses presets.

Last edited:

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The newer firmware has not fixed my camera it still looses presets

I think you have pretty well demonstrated your camera has a hardware fault.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

I wanted to provide an update as soon as I could. I’ve tested using the FW below, defaulted to factory and setup presets. I did this twice, once using @mech’s setup and once using the ones I use. In both cases I then switched presets super quick and even tried to fool the camera by selecting the next preset as it was in motion for 1 test. I also randomly selected presets to ensure the PTZ went through full 360 motion (not just 180 degree arcs). I ensured IVS rules and auto tracking were also setup.

All of this testing was completed using the camera web GUI to trigger and test. I then also tested the same presets using an AI NVR to control switching.

I’m pleased to report that I did not see any issues at all. Even making a note of each PTZ coordinate I never even noticed this moving (even as small as a .1 increment was not seen).

Again I do want to point out that the initial main FW (that shipped with the cam) I did see the occasional confused preset (as reported to Dahua) but am not seeing it in this current config I’ve set or testing completed.

I’m going to flash the PTZ control FW to the 8/15 and test again but wanted to share these results ASAP.

For those seeing issues, have you been able to fault isolate to camera itself by testing preset movement directly in the web GUI as I shared above ? Trying to make sure that if possible we can remove NVRs, BI etc from the mix in initially trying to isolate any underlying issue.

HTH, will continue to update and test.

Main FW: V2.800.0000002.3.R.P9.2520.UN.NR, Build Date: 2019-11-21

PTZ Control FW:
V2.401.0000000.41.RHNZ_190712_32701

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In my case, the camera will randomize its Pan value in several situations:

1. sometimes after a PTZ Reset, it will try to reach its home Preset and the camera thinks it has turned to that preset, but the actual camera body didn't move there.

2. sometimes after an auto-track, it will try to turn back to its Preset and again, the camera thinks it has arrived there (based on the Pan value) but the physical camera housing is pointing in some other direction.

3. my latest video clip above showed it trying to reach a Preset after doing a PTZ Reset, and the Pan number jumps to 151 while the camera turret only turns a small distance.

Without knowing exactly how the camera determines its Pan value, my guess is that it gets that from the stepper motor that pans the camera. So one hypothesis is that my camera has a mechanical issue with its stepper motor. I haven't dropped or abused it (I did bleed on it a little during assembly, but that should only enhance its powers, right?).

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@mech that will make it fly due to your assembly. ;)

mare you testing in the camera GUI or through BI etc ? If BI then try defaulting, setting clean and testing directly to see if you see the same issue. Just want to rule that out too.

In my case, the camera will randomize its Pan value in several situations:

1. sometimes after a PTZ Reset, it will try to reach its home Preset and the camera thinks it has turned to that preset, but the actual camera body didn't move there.

2. sometimes after an auto-track, it will try to turn back to its Preset and again, the camera thinks it has arrived there (based on the Pan value) but the physical camera housing is pointing in some other direction.

3. my latest video clip above showed it trying to reach a Preset after doing a PTZ Reset, and the Pan number jumps to 151 while the camera turret only turns a small distance.

Without knowing exactly how the camera determines its Pan value, my guess is that it gets that from the stepper motor that pans the camera. So one hypothesis is that my camera has a mechanical issue with its stepper motor. I haven't dropped or abused it (I did bleed on it a little during assembly, but that should only enhance its powers, right?).

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Mech mine is exactly as you have described it and I can re create this anytime I want by moving the camera manually via PTZ to say 180 degree's then when I press PRESET1 I hear a strange groaning sound and the camera don't go back to preset 1 proper.

mech

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@mech that will make it fly due to your assembly. ;)

mare you testing in the camera GUI or through BI etc ? If BI then try defaulting, setting clean and testing directly to see if you see the same issue. Just want to rule that out too.
All of the above. I can set off the problem by using BI to manually steer it or send it to its own Presets. I can also set it off by manually steering it or sending it to its own presets in its Web GUI. And it will also do it after ending an auto-track, with no outside steering but just its own internal logic. So I think the core issue is inside the camera.

One simple explanation would be if the stepper motor drives a gear which turns the camera body, and the gear's loose enough on the motor shaft that the stepper motor is incrementing while the camera is not.