Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
This appears fixed in the newer models of Z12’s. For example, don’t see this issue on 5241-Z12 that replaced 5231-Z12

It seems to be an issue that is also prevalent on the ultra-zoom 5.3mm-64mm 2mp Bullet cameras as per those discussions; there have been multiple attempts to resolve this via firmware updates
I haven't heard anything relating to autofocus on the 25x PTZ

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Must be twice as good then :)
It’s all speculation at this point; I only see a 7x difference in terms of zoom; perhaps there’s a little more manipulating of components to fit a 32x lens in this foam factor (5 inch chassis as per the model number nomenclature)

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
This appears fixed in the newer models of Z12’s. For example, don’t see this issue on 5241-Z12 that replaced 5231-Z12
I read a couple of comments claiming that the issue was still there a few months ago; not sure if this was eventually fixed in firmware updates

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Color: 0.005Lux@F1.3
B/W 0.0005Lux@F1.3
F1.35–F4.4:

Compared to

Color: 0.005Lux@F1.6
B/W: 0.0005Lux@F1.6
F1.6–F4.4

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure which model those were pertaining to but I know my 5241-Z12s have been rock solid without a soft focus issue. The 5231-Z12 did, still does have the beyond 80% soft focus hiccup in that sometimes all good (run mine close to 100%) other times a little soft but if you use the tricks such as switching before sunset and again before sunrise that we’ve shared that does help on the 5231 a lot.

I read a couple of comments claiming that the issue was still there a few months ago; not sure if this was eventually fixed in firmware updates

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
UPDATE: I did not have a POE+ switch, so it won't run without either POE+ OR a power supply. After getting help from Wildcat_1, who has been amazing, this thing is a beast! It works amazing. I do wish it had auto_tracking BUT with the Deep IVS, it works just about 100% of the time as far as picking up the triggered tripwires and Intrusion boxes. I will choose this setup any day over the auto-tracking of the 59230 I had and returned. That was so bad 90% of the time, spinning like a top and completely missing the triggered object and area. I may get another one.

Excuse me but... Un fucking believable! Just opened the box from Amazon.. SD49225XA from Empire Tec Andy... I am assuming this camera is supposed to have a power supply in the box? NOPE! Nothing but issues. Has to be me lol. Scratches by the screws on the back cover too. Someone had this before me. Super good chance its going back. Maybe I have a PS somewhere and see if its works. Sorry guys but this blows

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What’s the build date? Do you think the box was previously opened? Mine didn’t come with a power supply; it’s not included and not required

Sometimes the amazon warehouse handlers mishandle items

Excuse me but... Un fucking believable! Just opened the box from Amazon.. SD49225XA from Empire Tec Andy... I am assuming this camera is supposed to have a power supply in the box? NOPE! Nothing but issues. Has to be me lol. Scratches by the screws on the back cover too. Someone had this before me. Super good chance its going back. Maybe I have a PS somewhere and see if its works. Sorry guys but this blows
Must have been an isolated case then especially from new users just getting
Not sure which model those were pertaining to but I know my 5241-Z12s have been rock solid without a soft focus issue. The 5231-Z12 did, still does have the beyond 80% soft focus hiccup in that sometimes all good (run mine close to 100%) other times a little soft but if you use the tricks such as switching before sunset and again before sunrise that we’ve shared that does help on the 5231 a lot.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Question is, is it returned because auto track isn't there or auto track is there and returned for another reason (or maybe person didn't think autotrack was working correctly)?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Hey @rcirz no power supply in these as they are expected to be POE powered. Scratches could be from manufacturer packaging / shipping but cannot be 100% without seeing pics etc. generally on electronics these would not be returns that Amazon then puts back into rotation unless marked as Amazon Warehouse. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t returned to Amazon but would be strange to see that happen as not their normal procedure.

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It needed a PS. Kept freezing crashing and restarting until I plugged one in.

Updated on post #348

Last edited:

FlipNJ

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey @rcirz no power supply in these as they are expected to be POE powered. Scratches could be from manufacturer packaging / shipping but cannot be 100% without seeing pics etc. generally on electronics these would not be returns that Amazon then puts back into rotation unless marked as Amazon Warehouse. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t returned to Amazon but would be strange to see that happen as not their normal procedure.
Hey man, if you have time, Id would like to have you go into this new cam, set up one simple rule just to see if its me. Cant get a single rule to follow me.

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine disconnected and reconnected several times when initializing; likely culprit was the provisioning of the static IP I was setting. Also, I noticed only 2 of the 4 IR LED's turn on, is it a simple setting change to make all four IR LED's turn on?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@rcirz hopefully I showed you what truly is possible with IVS triggers and PTZs tonight on your system and gives you a better idea of what I mentioned over the weekend above to all on the thread. I'll reconnect with you in a day or two and we can tweak further, add more and utilize your other cams for the Spotter / Overwatch setup, trademarked remember ;)

He man, if you have time, Id would like to have you go into this new cam, set up one simple rule just to see if its me. Cant get a single rule to follow me.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Well if you want to check IR then go into manual in IR Light menu and turn near and far on full.

HTH

Mine disconnected and reconnected several times when initializing; likely culprit was the provisioning of the static IP I was setting. Also, I noticed only 2 of the 4 IR LED's turn on, is it a simple setting change to make all four IR LED's turn on?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Never assume, you can find out in the first post.
No, it does not come with a power supply, it is intended to be powered by POE+, which would come from your network switch. Google is your friend.