Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1
Is it possible that you or any other forum members with this camera check the PTZ linkage function ?
My parked postion is preset 1 with a preset 2 zone that is monitored by a fixed camera.
Once an event is detected by my fixed camera in zone 2 the PTZ swings around to preset 2 and duly tracks the event. (perfect i thought)
Then the possible firmware bug. Once the event as ended in zone 2 (preset 2) the PTZ does not return to its normal duties at preset 1 but stays at preset 2.
I have set the idle return position to preset 1 but the PTZ never returns to this postion unless forced by user intevention.
I would be grateful if any can confirm this working and on which version of firmware.presets.JPG
Preset1.JPG

Sorry forgot to add using NVR5216

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The current ver of BI for me, has lots of issue's yet.
What is not responsive? The PTZ?
If it's PTZ, then on the PTZ tab, choose Dahua New 4 instead of ONVIF.
The biggest issue is it takes over 30 seconds to over 1 minute to go from the substream to the mainstream and once it goes to mainstream it stutters and is choppy. Watching the time it may go 3-4 seconds ok, get the warning triangle and then skip a second or two.

I had it on POE+ switch and switched it to a single POE+ injector and no change. I reset the camera. I deleted the camera BI and added it back.

It works fine on GUI, so it is something within BI. Here are my settings.

1594353489670.png

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@wittaj would suggest starting a new post relating to the BI area on that one

The biggest issue is it takes over 30 seconds to over 1 minute to go from the substream to the mainstream and once it goes to mainstream it stutters and is choppy. Watching the time it may go 3-4 seconds ok, get the warning triangle and then skip a second or two.

I had it on POE+ switch and switched it to a single POE+ injector and no change. I reset the camera. I deleted the camera BI and added it back.

It works fine on GUI, so it is something within BI. Here are my settings.

View attachment 66036

dazz62

n3wb
Reaction score
As a newb I am in awh of the knowledge posted here. I have a 59225 works ok but Not what I was told when buying here in Australia.. But applying all the tunings And some of the tweeks posted here to it has given me 50/60 % reliability. Pretty happy, once again thanks.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
@Wildcat_1
Is it possible that you or any other forum members with this camera check the PTZ linkage function ?
My parked postion is preset 1 with a preset 2 zone that is monitored by a fixed camera.
Once an event is detected by my fixed camera in zone 2 the PTZ swings around to preset 2 and duly tracks the event. (perfect i thought)
Then the possible firmware bug. Once the event as ended in zone 2 (preset 2) the PTZ does not return to its normal duties at preset 1 but stays at preset 2.
I have set the idle return position to preset 1 but the PTZ never returns to this postion unless forced by user intevention.
you have at times while it is still tracking it will return, so be sure to set the time
@aabs

I have tested this cam and like most dahua cams it does not return with idle motion.
The work around is to use Time Task. It sucks because you have to pick the right amount of time as not to interfere with what the subject is that tripped the IVS

aabs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@jmcu
Thanks for the confirmation.
Maybe @Wildcat_1 can now report this firmware bug back as part of the hardware review.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
After playing around with this cam all morning I was able to get the the idle motion to start working again. I have had issues with other PTZ's using this with the call up feature.

What I am not able to get is the IVS mark to show up on the timeline ( blue line) when you search with NVR NVR 5208-4k.
On 1 preset the IVS tag is there (some times ) and on the other preset the it is not, NVR storage schedule is the same (selected)..??

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@jmcu & @aabs

I was going to reply before JMCU updated that the Idle Motion does work, I have it working here too. However in most cases where you have multiple presets you will generally have a tour setup to move between them unless you are utilizing PTZ activation and spotter cams to call to a particular preset when the spotter IVS rule is tripped. Either way, should be working for you and is generally utilized when you manually override a shot and need it to come back to Preset, Tour etc OR you utilize PTZ activation (and no tour) and want it to move back after.

@jmcu WRT to your IVS tagging on timeline, I have this working as well so if you need some assistance there just DM again and can always connect remotely and take a look to see if I can help

HTH

HTH, DM me if you need further assistance

After playing around with this cam all morning I was able to get the the idle motion to start working again. I have had issues with other PTZ's using this with the call up feature.

What I am not able to get is the IVS mark to show up on the timeline ( blue line) when you search with NVR NVR 5208-4k.
On 1 preset the IVS tag is there (some times ) and on the other preset the it is not, NVR storage schedule is the same (selected)..??

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
The idle motion is getting "stuck" when triggered by a spotter cam and will not return to a preset. If you just move it to a preset or turn the cam and leave it then will work but not when called up.
The IVS tagging on the timeline is very inconsistent and will rarely tag when tripped. I think I am going to reset the camera and set it back up....

Are you able to have SMD and IVS both functioning at the same time ? My testing didn't allow for this.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As SMD is a function of Motion Detection rather than IVS then yes you can have that and an IVS rule set at the same time. The similar feature to SMD in IVS (which a lot of people get confused about) is Object Filtering which allows the Human vs Vehicle detection there. Again very similar features that ultimately utilize the same AI algorithm but for slightly different purposes. In the NVR you would use the AI search feature (if running 4.0) to search for SMD (for those Motion Detection / SMD clips and the IVS with target type of Vehicle or Human option if using the Object Filtering approach through IVS rules. Hope that helps @jmcu

The idle motion is getting "stuck" when triggered by a spotter cam and will not return to a preset. If you just move it to a preset or turn the cam and leave it then will work but not when called up.
The IVS tagging on the timeline is very inconsistent and will rarely tag when tripped. I think I am going to reset the camera and set it back up....

Are you able to have SMD and IVS both functioning at the same time ? My testing didn't allow for this.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
When a IVS rule is set up and SMD enabled the SMD is tagged but the autotracking does not follow any targets triggered by the IVS rule.
As soon as motion detection is turned off the AT resumes.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Which FW version both main and PTZ control are you running @jmcu . On my cams I can do both without issue. Like you said, may be time for a full factory default if you are starting to see 'quirks' that weren't happening before. Also did you configure the cam directly (web GUI) or through the NVR ? Which version of FW on the NVR ?

Thanks

When a IVS rule is set up and SMD enabled the SMD is tagged but the autotracking does not follow any targets triggered by the IVS rule.
As soon as motion detection is turned off the AT resumes.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Cam-
System Version 2.800.107J000.0.T, Build Date: 2020-03-10
PTZ Version2.401.0000000.45.RHNZ_190815_33003It

NVR -

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
@jmcu was yours a native AT unit (from factory that way) or flashed to custom FW (looking at FW version I would say native AT but please confirm) ? For reference, my versions below, I've always preferred the 7/12 build of PTZ control hence that version there:

Main FW - V2.800.0000009.3.R.200331​
PTZ - FW - V2.401.0000000.41.RHNZ_190712_32701​
NVR - V4.001.0000000.3, Build Date: 2020-05-19​

I'm also testing another version of the Main FW (will report back) but for reference, the main release versions above do work with MD/SMD + IVS with Object Filtering enabled at the same time (albeit I would recommend only 1 being used and that is IVS with Object Filtering) without issue on mine

Cam-
System Version 2.800.107J000.0.T, Build Date: 2020-03-10
PTZ Version2.401.0000000.45.RHNZ_190815_33003It

NVR -

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
We will make some testing tomorrw, looks like it's the bug of the NVR.
Update
After reset the NVR, everything is working great now.

Last edited:

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes a factory reset of the NVR did the trick. It is a nice little camera with great auto tracking.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased the 4MP version (SD49425) of this camera from @EMPIRETECANDY via his Amazon store last week and have been playing with it since it arrived.

A quick summary of my thoughts on this camera.

The auto tracking right of the box is unbelievable. Better than any I have seen straight out of the box.

Of course to get better performance you need to tweak the values to get the shot you are looking for. But I would certainly recommend this to someone that doesn't want to spend a lot of time trying to dial it in.

I simply created a preset, which was a zoom of 1 so it was as wide as it gets. I drew a few tripwires. And it was tracking perfectly. Even with a lamp post in the yard that based on distances, the person disappears behind it momentarily based on where the PTZ is mounted, and it keeps right up with the person. I have seen lots of videos where a PTZ will go screwy with something like that.

The AI is unbelievable. I didn't want it tracking cars going up and down the street all day, so I picked humans and almost zero false trackings. It will occasionally pick up a trailer being pulled by a pickup that has lawnmowers in it, but I think the Human AI is actually to pick up anything but vehicles.

If I wanted to track vehicles, this thing can keep up with them and the path is a straight left-right/right-left format - cars are not approaching the house head on, so they go by at a good clip - posted 25mph but probably 40mph.

In the Live setting I wish the preset numbers would change to the names you call them in the set up. Easier to remember Street than a preset number LOL.

Would also be nice if you could dial in a focus setting number if you wanted to do some overnight LPR duty like you can with his other cams.

The focus seems a little soft. I probably need to work on the settings a little more. In messing around with it, I can't get it as crisp as I think it is capable of. I noticed if you zoom all the way out, it has trouble focusing, even manually it is at it's limit. I can actually hit the zoom + sign like 7 or 8 times before it moves from zoom 1 to zoom 2, so I have it set to like 4 + hits within zoom 1 to give the focus some room to find it.

For being starlight, it kicks into B/W faster than my other Starlights purchased from Andy. I can force color and it works, so I am trying to figure out the API call to knock it into B/W later in the night and be color the other times.

I have been using for some time the spotter cams concept to try to make sure the PTZ is looking where activity is, and will certainly continue that with this camera as well. This camera seems to be a little too long of a lag from moving to a preset and pulling up the IVS and start tracking, so I am attempting to adjust when my spotter cams kick in. Unfortunately at night, bugs and headlight glare and other things would turn the PTZ for something that wasn't there.

Seeing how good the AI is, I am contemplating replacing one of the spotter cams with an AI cam to knock out all the false movements.

Last edited:

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Another Update, This Time Regarding New Firmware. Have Cross Posted In My 5A425 Review Thread As It Applies To That Cam Too (Same FW)

** NOTE: The FW I am currently testing is from the main branch of FW, i.e. not the custom FW. Therefore those that do NOT have native AT on their 49225 would be advised to NOT install this when its available as it would disable their AT. **

Well, this is interesting ! I’ve been testing the latest Prometheus FW for 49225 & 5A425 and on the standard stuff (bitrate etc) all remains the same….GOOD ! Also AI Live is working a lot better now.

However, there are 2 new features added in menu that I hadn't noticed and are super cool so wanted to share them with you all as soon as I discovered them.
Specifically these are 2 additions to the Event, Smart Plan menu…Global & Tour Plan. Lets jump into those:

Global

This is now at the top of the Smart Plan menu and as its name suggests allows you to choose an IVS rule that is enabled globally (not to be confused with previous Global calibration menu) regardless of other rule type you choose for a preset. This is a fantastic addition as it means you can now have Face Detection or Video Metadata rules applied at the Global level while lets say in Preset 1 you are running Deep IVS. I’ve tested this out and it works as designed so regardless of each of your presets being set for different rules, you can now have an overarching Face Detection or Video Metadata applied. You no longer have to disable Deep IVS to use Video Metadata they can co-exist. This up's the value of IVS rules to a new level IMO as now there isn’t a trade off that has to be made for some installs / projects etc.​

Tour Plan

This introduces a new way to setup PTZ tours and their schedules. Works well and I like the new UI element for this where you can clearly see your preset names (an issue before) adjust the schedule and then very simply (with 1 click) adjust the priority order of presets in the tour. You are also able to set time in which the tour will sit at a preset and idle time for the tour too. Now with that said, an IMPORTANT NOTE: the old Tour menu (Under PTZ, Function, Tour) still exists and that does not see the new Tour Plan in other words it is possible to setup in 2 places (but I strongly advise against that). Similarly Idle Time & Time Task options do NOT see the new Tour Plan. Therefore you are either all in with the new Tour Plan or use existing, personally I like the new Tour Plan​

HTH