Review - Dahua SD49225XA-HNR 2MP 25x Starlight + IR PTZ AI Camera with Deep IVS & SMD Plus

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Does the 4MP version have the same issue that newer software updates remove autotracking support that the 2MP camera has?
Yes, same, but if you have good budget, can check SD5A425XA-HNR, it has the 1/1.8cmos, but for limited budget, this SD49425XB-HNR and SD49225XA-HNR are the best ones on the market.

Reaction score
I am aware its generally not a good idea to mix brands but how would one of these go with a hikvision DS-7616NI-I2-16P NVR ??

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Ryushin @fresnoboy feel free to reach out via DM if you need any help or want me to assist in dialing in.
I very much appreciate the offer. I do like learning though and I'm afraid I don't like to ask for help as I like to keep trying things out. I learn by reading, doing, etc.

Though, it would be nice to see you and other putting together youtube videos to give your wisdom to others regarding these cameras. This thread has a lot of information in it, but it will take some work to dig through it to get what you need.

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got two of the SD49425XB-HNR yesterday. I got one up. Set up my presets, got Deep IVS set up and basic auto tracking working. I tried to find a way to turn off the Object Filter and I don't think there is one as I want it to track animals as well as humans. I mentioned this to Andy and he said that SMD removed that capability in all the PTZ cameras since 2019. I'm afraid and Any and I had a miscommunication in the beginning when I inquired about this camera being able to track animals. Andy said "tracking on animals is not working good. For human and vehicles autotracking will working very good." I thought I can deal with the tracking of animals not working that well. I believe what Andy meant is that these cameras won't track animals at all.

So the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) went way down and she has been wanting me to send these back. I still feel these cameras are vastly better than the Jidetech's I sent back and I want to keep them at this point.

So if this camera won't track animals, is there a different model Dahua that will auto track mammals and birds?

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@Ryushin have you disabled object filtering?
I have a PTZ (SD59432XA-HNR) that tracks my wife riding her horse on the paddock. It works pretty good!
I haven't tested this in particular with this but I actually have a 49225XA-HNR that I haven't installed yet so I could install it for test in the coming days to see If it tracks horses or sheep, if you want?

Ryushin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Got two of the SD49425XB-HNR yesterday. I got one up. Set up my presets, got Deep IVS set up and basic auto tracking working. I tried to find a way to turn off the Object Filter and I don't think there is one as I want it to track animals as well as humans. I mentioned this to Andy and he said that SMD removed that capability in all the PTZ cameras since 2019. I'm afraid and Any and I had a miscommunication in the beginning when I inquired about this camera being able to track animals. Andy said "tracking on animals is not working good. For human and vehicles autotracking will working very good." I thought I can deal with the tracking of animals not working that well. I believe what Andy meant is that these cameras won't track animals at all.

So the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) went way down and she has been wanting me to send these back. I still feel these cameras are vastly better than the Jidetech's I sent back and I want to keep them at this point.

So if this camera won't track animals, is there a different model Dahua that will auto track mammals and birds?
@Ryushin have you disabled object filtering?
I have a PTZ (SD59432XA-HNR) that tracks my wife riding her horse on the paddock. It works pretty good!
I haven't tested this in particular with this but I actually have a 49225XA-HNR that I haven't installed yet so I could install it for test in the coming days to see If it tracks horses or sheep, if you want?
I could not find a way to disable object filtering. So yea, if you could install the 49225XA-NNR and test for wild life, that would be great. I usually get foxes, raccoons, deer etcetera every night. So far I cannot get it to track birds as that is what is around during the day. It does tracks humans great though.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a thought, but if you throw in DeepStack, assuming you're running Blue Iris, it'll handle animals. We get deer, fox, cats, dogs, raccoons, opossum and DS does recognize them although may mis-identify them all as cats and dogs. How you'd get auto tracking to work is another question and I have no idea if it could be done.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

It appears that they have disabled that option in the later firmwares.
I have an SD5A425XA-HNR with the same issue.
My 5442ze's also have that limitation.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I connected my SD49225, from Andy with Autotrack, and compared the deep IVS settings between my SD59432 and SD5A425 and they look the same.

I had a vague memory it was possible to disable the "object filter" but it's likely as mentioned above a feature no longer available, as it's grayed out (?).

So, the camera tracking my wife riding is either tracking her sitting there or due to poor AI not filtering out the horse.
Never the less, the SD49225 will be temporarily mounted to let it test to track the horses and sheep.

Screenshot_20210729-222719_Chrome.jpg

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

Mine is set to track humans only, yet it tracks my dogs in the yard all the time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Sometimes if you set a minimum object size it can "trick" it into tracking other things.
That’s probably what mine are doing. I like that it keeps an eye on the pups for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Depends on your field of view, but draw a box the size of something you want to track and sometimes it will trigger for anything larger than that box. Not 100%, but I have noticed that it is a way to get it to track other things.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What kinda of maximum and minimum size have you found that will trick it into tracking other things?
Mine currently has no minimum size set, and has max set to 8191x8191. While the camera can track, I would not count on it to do so all the time. Even with humans it is all dependent on the placement of the camera, lighting, and ultimately the contrast of the object to it's background. If a person walks by a dark background, wearing all dark clothing, the camera can struggle to differentiate them from the background. Overall I am very pleased with these cameras and they have done a fine job for what my expectations are.
Here is an example of a crow in the street being tracked. It stops tracking frequently because the crow doesn't move very much (at least that's my guess)

And a dog getting picked up before it's owner enters the frame

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tomorrow I will install my SD49225 on a test location so it will see what the SD59432 see.
In the video you can see the SD59432 autotracking sheep.

To get a feeling how random it triggers i made some crazy IVS rules and it's clear that several sheep can pass the tripwire without triggering, video made from Smart PSS playback to show IVS rules and what's going on.
Global SMD is disabled and Humans are enabled in object filter in the IVS rule.
But, after have looked at the video a few times it seem that the tripwire is only triggered when the camera only can see two legs, 7 and 40 sec in the video, so the sheep is mixed up with a very hairy dude.

The sheep have been all over the place and I've put them back where they should at least 3 times tonight. They seemed upset for something, I have Lynx in my area so maybe I'll catch a Lynx passing by in the cameras (or my rifle scope).

Last edited:

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Fortunately the Lynx never showed up yesterday and all my cattle are still home and alive :)

The SD49225 is now also installed near the SD59432, I made some new crazy IVS rules to provoke the cameras to react on the horses.
As mentioned above, I couldn't disable Object filter in the IVS setting from the Camera GUI, the main button is grayed out, and the frequency the horses triggered IVS was very low.

But, when I logged in to the NVR and in to the IVS settings I could disable the general IVS Object Filter. 2 min after I disabled it the horses moved and I got this footage where both cameras reacted on one horse each.
I will continue the tests to see if this really disables Object filter and if it makes a difference - I will have one camera with filters and one without.

Last edited: