Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

Wolf4Ever

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Wolf4Ever with that small amount of light on scene is there a reason you want this in color ? Can you utilize another fixed cam with fixed aperture to cross cover the area for any color details you need ? With B&W on the PTZ you'll have more control and we can certainly balance out the 'bloom' you mentioned. Either way, if you want, DM me and we can set some time up for me to jump on your system, take a look and dial in to get this as good as possible for this FOV and location. Let me know
No don't have to have color, just like if possible. Will DM.

incur

n3wb
Reaction score
Does anyone have ptz control delay? All my other ptz camera are instantaneous and smooth. But sd5a425 I have to hold control and wait 2 seconds and moving isnt predictable.

c0redumpt

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, relative newbie here seeking some advice. I am in the process of renovating and building an extension to my new property. I am building a 2 storey extension at the rear of the property with garage on ground floor. This extension has a rear laneway with my house being the last house. I've taken a photo at a height of around 2.4 metres ~8 feet above ground. I am looking at placing a camera at the boundary (where this photo was taken from with my phone camera).

I'm looking at a couple of options, one being this ptz camera or a 5442 varifocal camera and would love to hear opinions and pros/cons of either solution.
Generally speaking the laneway has limited lighting at night, and am primarily interested in human/facial recognition tracking given the likely environment. My thoughts are mounting a ptz higher up on the 2nd storey would possibly work well in this scenario, but not entirely sure??

Kind Regards

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
This model stock in around 12days, badly lack of chips, dahua may end of this one's life because of chips supply, lots of good cams are end of life because of bad lacking of chips. Hope this one still can go on selling.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Apologies the attachment didnt stick, hopefully this works
If you want a PTZ installed in this location, I would highly recommend that you add a 2nd or 3rd camera further away with same FOV and use as a spotter to drive the PTZ to specific locations. Otherwise with that narrow a view the PTZ won't be able to 'back up' enough (due to lens) to accurately track close targets. Having a spotter (5442 etc) in that location that can call out targets from a wider angle and have the PTZ move to a preset would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Agree, go with fixed cams over PTZ given that tight corridor.

Or add the PTZ in conjunction with the fixed cams to use as spotter cams.

The focal length of the PTZ on the low end starts fairly high, so you don't have the distance to create a wider field of view and the autotrack will likely fail as the object gets closer.

c0redumpt

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I neglected to mention my property boundary ends at where the beam to the left of the photo ends adjoining my neighbours rear garage. The buildings on the opposite end of the laneway are also not mine from which to allow extra cameras to be installed upon.

I am only able to put cameras along this boundary, the building along this boundary however will have a height of 3 storeys ~10 metres from which to attach cameras along. From comments above I am beginning to think multiple cameras along this boundary at differing heights may work best?1?

Appreciate the feedback so far from all

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I neglected to mention my property boundary ends at where the beam to the left of the photo ends adjoining my neighbours rear garage. The buildings on the opposite end of the laneway are also not mine from which to allow extra cameras to be installed upon.

I am only able to put cameras along this boundary, the building along this boundary however will have a height of 3 storeys ~10 metres from which to attach cameras along. From comments above I am beginning to think multiple cameras along this boundary at differing heights may work best?1?

Appreciate the feedback so far from all
yes go with multiple cams and either can work but I would still recommend a couple of fixed + 1 PTZ to allow you to spot then call to nice close presets for ID shots and other key details

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just be careful with those later FW versions as they started to pull some features as I mentioned. Those may not be important to you but either way, heads up

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes I understand WC and thanks for the heads up.

Do you still have this camera set up at your home. I'm not sure if this latest
firmware fixes the Metadata mess you talked about.

Can't wait to get it mounted and it goes straight onto the PFA120 box which my 49225 was mounted so shouldn't take long.

It was the Dahua distributor who updates to the latest firmware before it is sent out but can always downgrade if I have any problems.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had a thunderstorm last week resulting in a bag of various fried electronics, cameras, switches and unifi bridges and a accesspoint.

Fortunately my insurance company was very helpful and I got full compensation for everything.
So yesterday I also ordered a a SD5A425, look forward to join this "club". It'll probably sit good with its two cuisines, SD59432XA-HNR and SD49225XA.
Further I also ordered A ITC237, I'm excited to test this!