Review: Dahua SD5A425XA-HNR 4MP 25x Starlight IR PTZ

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can do it within Blue Iris since you already have it - you do not need to go purchase an NVR for this.

With Blue Iris, you can use any camera as a spotter camera, and those are fine cameras for it.

Just set up the triggers to trigger the other cam. Not hard to do in BI.

On the fixed camera, set up a group containing the camera to move when that cam triggers - it should be the only camera in the group so call it PTZ1 for example.

In the camera GUI for the PTZ, make a preset for it to move to when triggered which gives the view you want.

On the Trigger tab for the fixed camera, under "When triggered" select "Move to preset" and select the preset you just created for the PTZ.

Go back to the Trigger tab and key it in under the When Triggered area. This should be your fixed camera tabs not the PTZ tabs.

Check the Trigger camera group and hit select and pick the group name the PTZ is in.

Then check the Move to preset and change the number to the preset on the PTZ you want it to move to.

Then check the move camera groups and hit select and then the camera group.

Hit ok and then that fixed cam will call up the PTZ whenever the fixed cam sees motion.

1612843993476.png

Then when something triggers the fixed came, it will move the PTZ to the assigned preset. You can use the "Trigger Now" to test.

The "Break time" on the trigger tab controls how long the moved camera stay on the preset before moving back to where they were. To get the camera back you could use that based on some time. I think a setting of 0 turns that off.
Thanks for the walkthrough! Looking forward to testing this out with BI in the future.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I stand corrected, Blue Iris can do it as well (and probably other VMS's as well) even though that's unfamiliar territory for me (still).

@lagvoid if you would look at a NVR, look at the 5-series as it's a great piece of kit and is definitely the best bang for the buck. Later on when you'll start looking at the really nice cameras the 5-series offers features that's not available in the "smaller" ranges.
And, if you currently aim at 8 cameras, buy at least a 16 ch NVR - I'm currently in the market for a bigger as my 16 ch is full.

Like I've seen a experienced guy here say, the cameras (and collection of guns) multiply like rabbits. I can only agree - even though gun laws in Sweden is not as generous as in the US. :idk:

Last edited:

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I stand corrected, Blue Iris can do it as well (and probably other VMS's as well) even though that's unfamiliar territory for me (still).

@lagvoid if you would look at a NVR, look at the 5-series as it's a great piece of kit and is definitely the best bang for the buck. Later on when you'll start looking at the really nice cameras the 5-series offers features that's not available in the "smaller" ranges.
And, if you currently aim at 8 cameras, buy at least a 16 ch NVR - I'm currently in the market for a bigger as my 16 ch is full.

Like I've seen a experienced guy here say, the cameras (and collection of guns) multiply like rabbits. I can only agree - even though gun laws in Sweden is not as generous as in the US. :idk:
I will keep that in mind if I decide to add an NVR for redundancy or to add features. I will explore adding a PTZ using Blue Iris first since I already have it. Appreciate your input, thank you.

Does the PTZ's onboard auto-tracking and zooming work as should when using BI to call to presets from spotter cams?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I will keep that in mind if I decide to add an NVR for redundancy or to add features. I will explore adding a PTZ using Blue Iris first since I already have it. Appreciate your input, thank you.

Does the PTZ's onboard auto-tracking and zooming work as should when using BI to call to presets from spotter cams?
Not many features an NVR can provide you that you do not already have with BI!

Yes, all the PTZ cares about is the preset and IVS rules setup, so when BI spotter cam sends the call to the PTZ to go to Preset #3, once it gets to preset #3 then the camera takes over with the IVS rules to start the tracking and zooming. Nothing else you need to do in BI.

lagvoid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there enough space in the PFB305W Wall Mount Bracket to keep the cables if mounting to a solid surface where you can't stuff back into the wall or is the PFA120 junction box recommended for the sd5a425xa PTZ?

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Use the recommended PFA120 backbox to make sure everything is water tight or you will have problems further down the line with corroded connectors. You would not have a say to warranty claim neither as it would not be installed proper.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this the latest and best version for this camera still - System VersionV2.810.0000017.0.R.P9.2519.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-11-23

On Dahua Website I see a much newer Version DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000025.3.R.210705

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Running my camera on DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000025.3.R.210705 but not impressed by the tracking performance on this firmware anyone recommend link to a better firmware for tracking and not bothered about metadata etc.

therealdeal74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Running my camera on DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.810.0000025.3.R.210705 but not impressed by the tracking performance on this firmware anyone recommend link to a better firmware for tracking and not bothered about metadata etc.
Ditto. I gave up on fine tuning the tracking for my application. My 49225 tracks a lot better.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
Ditto. I gave up on fine tuning the tracking for my application. My 49225 tracks a lot better.
I would agree my old 49225 seamed better which is strange coming from a 4 series to a 5 series with genuine Auto tracking enabled from factory. Don't get me wrong it is good and does some pretty nice tracking but a little behind my older 4 series.

It's not the end of the world as I don't use it that often and only when away for the weekends.

@ Wildcat or Andy Can you forward or link me to the older firmware please.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would agree my old 49225 seamed better which is strange coming from a 4 series to a 5 series with genuine Auto tracking enabled from factory. Don't get me wrong it is good and does some pretty nice tracking but a little behind my older 4 series.

It's not the end of the world as I don't use it that often and only when away for the weekends.

@ Wildcat or Andy Can you forward or link me to the older firmware please.
Why don't you ask the vendor you bought it from for the firmware :lmao:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is 10:30pm here so not open but your comment is as Funny as cancer.
Well you have made it clear what you think of Andy and have knocked him in the past and you have stated several times trying to steer folks not to buy his "grey market" cameras and instead should purchase from authorized Dahua dealers to get "better service and longer warranty" despite many of us here providing claims of the excellent service and support Andy provides.... so why would he feel inclined to offer you firmware for a camera you did not purchase from him?

Now Andy is a great guy and will probably send it to you, but interesting how he is only ok when you need something....interesting that you don't go seeking it from the authorized dealer that you said provides 24/7 support and you mention that firmware updates are better from authorized vendors...

To accurately answer your question is NO you will get NO SUPPORT from Dahua if purchased from a Non Authorised Seller

Here in Uk if you purchase from an authorised Dahua seller you will get a 3 to 5 years warranty on Dahua camera's ( NO QUIBBLE ) next day exchange 24hrs and a 24/7 remote assistance support if needed. Also you need to factor in firmware updates for Grey Imports can differ a lot between Authorised Support.

You need to make your own mind up to pay a little extra from an "Authorised seller" and get FULL warranty & Support or buy from a unauthorised Seller who would never advertise on a forum or amazon or AliExpress and get ZERO SUPPORT only their own sellers warranty.

Reference post# 15 This is the Pro Version of the smaller one which I will be getting delivered Tuesday.
Here in the UK all Hikvision Camera's come with a 3 year warranty.

If you buy "Grey Imports" from China you have Zero Warranty from Hikvision and have to rely on the seller and the cost to return if anything goes wrong is VERY expensive.
Now that the UK is out the European Union you will be subject to VAT & Customs also now which will have a knock on effect from anything coming from China to the UK.

If I was spending so much on CCTV I would want the full backup and support from the manufacturer's not a Chinese sellers Warranty & support.

Edit - deleted a few posts and sorry Op I thought this was a Public review rather a Private review,

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
After talking with the Authorised Dahua distrubutor and Dahua engineers I can recommend this new firmware for this camera DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000012.0.R.210904.bin

With this firmware installed I immediately saw an improvement in the auto tracking.

Firmwares (dahuasecurity.com)

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
After talking with the Authorised Dahua distrubutor and Dahua engineers I can recommend this new firmware for this camera DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000012.0.R.210904.bin

With this firmware installed I immediately saw an improvement in the auto tracking.

Firmwares (dahuasecurity.com)
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Update: I just uploaded the latest firmware from above and it seems to be working just fine. I had zero problems with the upload.

Last edited:

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
I was having a few problems with my camera with auto tracking ,so after talking to my UK distributor a few weeks ago who put me in touch with the Dahua engineers to show them my problems via Team Viewer they told me a new firmware was needed which was the one they wrote a few days ago { DH_SD-Prometheus_MultiLang_PN_Stream3_V2.812.0000012.0.R.210904.bin. } Since I have installed this new FW210904 all my problems have gone away and it's like I have a new camera it performs excellent now on auto tracking. The Dahua Engineer told me that the Web Plugin was changed so you must like me have been prompted to instal a new one after the firmware update.

The camera now is rock solid and with it's new update I would recommen it to anyone for it's Daytime & Night time performance.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a try.

Update: I just uploaded the latest firmware from above and it seems to be working just fine. I had zero problems with the upload.
I’ve been testing a couple of new firmwares over the past week or 2 including a new 21-09-04 for the 5A425 and another for the 49225 (factory AT version tweaked at 21-08-02). Dahua is considering potentially separating these Prometheus FW's into different releases due to a) some of the changes we've discussed in the 49225 review thread before such as factory AT vs separate FW branch enabled AT plus b) functions for 5A425 that need more focus than 49225 etc. Both of these load well with just 1 note to point out that 1 of a couple of the 5A425's took a couple of loads and a restart to get it to take but other than that was good. The webplugin was updated with these releases for all Prometheus cams which means new plugin required for 49225 + 5A425 if you have both deployed.

The overall FW is a stable update. Still issues seen however with
  • Video metadata handling for plates etc at times is still not great + the obscuring locally (using cropping) is still present which as you know I am NOT a fan of
  • Local playback menu does not give the option for event type filtering which is something I reported (actually both of these) a few months ago
I’ve ensured feedback and bugs filed for these based on these new codebases as well.

Last edited: