Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@mat200

All settings still at default. Some with IR on, some with IR completely off, some forced color.
There was a full moon, that was just above the horizon.

Sorry, it there not in order, in a hurry.

View attachment 21522 View attachment 21523 View attachment 21524 View attachment 21525 View attachment 21526 View attachment 21527 View attachment 21528 View attachment 21529 View attachment 21530 View attachment 21531 View attachment 21532 View attachment 21533 View attachment 21534
Thanks for linking to this thread from another thread.

Why was it so fuzzy at 8:31 PM?

So it seems at night, that one can barely make out the license plate. The best was at 8:47 PM, but even then, can only make out 2 or 3 letters.

Not saying getting the license plate should be the main goal. But this did show what was realistically possible, if the car was at the end of the driveway.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just finished the first page of this thread.

The two cameras seem similar. I couldn't really tell the difference in quality for the pictures or videos.

It seems that it might come down to whether one wants the little wider angle with the ZE, or not.

And the longer zoom with the ZE.

Are there any other factors to consider?

Last edited:

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Servetech

n3wb
Reaction score
So..what settings do you guys use?
I know every situation is different, some have streetlamps, some have external IR-emitters, some are in a pitch black setting.
But I'm just curious.

In my situation there are some street lights, but they don't give near enough light to be usable for the camera. To far away and wrong direction.

I have separate day and night settings and I use the Schedule to change between day and night.
Dahau unfortunately does not support automatisch switching and I don't have a PC running 24/7 to run the known script that's floating around on this forum.
Every so often I change the times on the schedule in accordance to the current sunrise and sunset times.
I don't record 24/7, I use Tripwire with a zigzag line on the street/driveway border and record to a 128GB card.

Daytime:
- Picture: all unchanged at 50.
- Exposure: Anti-flicker at Outdoor. Manual Mode, shutter 1/250, gain 0-0, Auto Iris on, 3D NR on, Grade 0.
- Backlight off.
- WB: Auto
- Day & Night: Color
- IR LIght: SmartIR

Night:
- Picture: all unchanged at 50.
- Exposure: Anti-flicker at Outdoor. Manual Mode, shutter 1/100, gain 0-50, Auto Iris on, 3D NR on, Grade 15.
- Backlight off.
- WB: Auto
- Day & Night: B/W
- IR LIght: SmartIR

I'm still playing with the settings though. Still fiddling around seeing what settings do to the image.
Mostly during night time. My night time images/video are much darker than I see on other peoples screenshots likely due my shutter and gain settings.
But I can't really change them to get the image brighter since that makes people at night look like ghosts. :p
Hi All,

I received the ipc-hdw5231r-ze from Andy last week and have been playing with the settings. After reading the settings posted by other members, I do not see these as being available for me in the Smart PSS or the WebSettings. (Gain, Shutter, Anti-Flicker, IR Light) Are you connecting directly to the camera or the NVR? Here is what I have in Smart PSS.

I am new to the NVR game, So BIG Thanks to All on this Forum!

Cam Software version 3.215.0000.3, Build: 2017-12-11

Attachments

Servetech

n3wb
Reaction score
Direct to the camera. Usually, the default ip address is 192.168.1.108.
Thanks, I already have it connected to my NVR. So I’m guessing I will need to connect a poe switch or power adapter to view these settings?

Why wouldn’t these settings flow through to the nvr and will the settings be reversed after I reconnect to the nvr?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I already have it connected to my NVR. So I’m guessing I will need to connect a poe switch or power adapter to view these settings?

Why wouldn’t these settings flow through to the nvr and will the settings be reversed after I reconnect to the nvr?
Set a computer to the same ip range as the nvr.
Connect that computer to one of the Poe ports on the nvr. You can then connect to cams web interface.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where is the microphone on the 5231r-Z or 5231r-ZE?

I can hear the audio from the videos posted. But am not sure where the mic is.

Servetech

n3wb
Reaction score
Where is the microphone on the 5231r-Z or 5231r-ZE?

I can hear the audio from the videos posted. But am not sure where the mic is.
On the first page of this thread Looney2ns posted a pic of the face of the camera. Look to the left of bottom red circle, there is a pin hole which I believe to be the mic.

nuraman00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

On the first page of this thread Looney2ns posted a pic of the face of the camera. Look to the left of bottom red circle, there is a pin hole which I believe to be the mic.
Thanks. Hard to see until you circled it.