Review- EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 4mp Varifocal Turret

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys

The smart IR version fw for the animal fw of the 54IR/52IR/58IR S3 is ready to test now, please contact us.

Andy

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just realized that the "test" Firmware I installed on June 7th changed the "Encoding Strategy" from "Smart Codec" to "AI Coding" ... and there is NOT an option to have "Smart Codec"

I compared to another camera that did NOT have that installed and the "Compression/etc." is the same ... but again, it shows me "Smart Codec" whereas the new firmware is "AI Codec"

I then noticed that the saved videos on the SD card are MUCH larger.

Did anyone else notice this?
I tried various combination, but can't seem to get "Smart Codec" to show up again.

So ... based on this, it seems that "Smart Codec" isn't available (?) ... but is it possible that your "Smart IR" FW @EMPIRETECANDY puts that back in ... in which case, I would REALLY like to try this! ;-)

Thomas Kenny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Blue Iris (5.6.2) doesnt have this menu containing "New zones/sources..." under "When" I only have the "This camera is triggered" dropdown.

Do I need to upgrade to get that?
To answer my own question: I was too far behind on my BI version. Now I have the motion alerts working damned near perfectly. Thanks!

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just realized that the "test" Firmware I installed on June 7th changed the "Encoding Strategy" from "Smart Codec" to "AI Coding" ... and there is NOT an option to have "Smart Codec"

I compared to another camera that did NOT have that installed and the "Compression/etc." is the same ... but again, it shows me "Smart Codec" whereas the new firmware is "AI Codec"

I tried various combination, but can't seem to get "Smart Codec" to show up again.

So ... based on this, it seems that "Smart Codec" isn't available (?) ... but is it possible that your "Smart IR" FW @EMPIRETECANDY puts that back in ... in which case, I would REALLY like to try this! ;-)
I can't answer the questions about the file sizes, but the new beta with "Smart AI" only has the same choices of "general" and "AI Codec" as you saw in the non "Smart IR" beta.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Courtesy of @EMPIRETECANDY we have this camera to check out.

Be sure to select 1440p for video playback.
Night Video

Day Video

Day video zoomed in fully. 50' from cam to end of drive.
I wonder if every time Andy watches your videos he dreams about retiring in rural America LOL.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does this camera come in the colour black?
If you can't get it in black, you can probably plasti dip it. That seems (to me) a bit les difficult/permanent than painting it.

Hey guys

The smart IR version fw for the animal fw of the 54IR/52IR/58IR S3 is ready to test now, please contact us.

Andy
Thank you.

What is the improvement/difference between the first firmware (consisting of 2 .bin files) and this one?

I can't find "Smart Codec" either, but I never used it. Didn't "Smart Codec" limit some other functions anyway if I remember correctly?

I must say this 'animal' detection firmware is a massive improvement so far.
It's detecting more animals (mainly cats) than the 5231 and since I have another S3 at the back of the house, I can now see animal detections there too.

And it seems there's another (big) improvement. Before, drawing IVS lines (tripwire) was difficult. You had to draw them a certain way because otherwise they would not click/set.
Now I can draw them freely, however I want. :thumb:

And 3rd; when making detection of image settings; the (live)video would often turn black which made adjusting settings difficult. Now the live video stays on. Another :thumb:

Still; the "target filter" slider still doesn't work so this is still basically a workaround. My 2431 S2 will still not detect animals because of that and since that one is EOL, it never will.
But since the 5231 is probably not needed anymore below one of the S3, I can replace the 2431 with the 5231 and find another use for the 2431 where animal detection is not necessary.

Another thing I'm noticing; but I'm not certain it started with the new firmware. I have SmartPSS on my laptop with all 4 camera's (substream).
(The Self Adaptive Stream Type setting in SmartPSS has never worked for me)
The 2 S3 camera's live stream often becomes pixeled for a second or so. The 5321 and 2431 S3 don't.
I have one S3 and the 5231 connected and powered from one POE-port of a POE-switch (through a POE-extender). The other S3 is on it's own POE-port and the 2431 is behind a Wifi-bridge and powered by a Ubiquiti POE-injector. (since that one is one a chicken coop without a netwerkcable/connection.
If it was a Wifi problem, the 5321 and 2431 would have shown this too I would think.

Last edited:

Thomas Kenny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on "best codec/bitrate for blue iris?" Im using:

h.265
General Encoding Strategy
2688x1520
15fps
CBR
I-Frame 15
Bitrate 8192
Smooth Stream 1

The bitrate on the Blue iris side doesn't seem to be much over 1024 (maybe the camera doesn't really send more than that unless the scene is changing a lot?).

Is there anything above that looks like it could be improved upon? I dont mind burning disk space for marginal improvements but keeping blue iris happy is most important. I remember it not liking smart codec and the like several years ago.

H. Swanson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys

The 5 series S3 version, we will add the animal detection back with smart IR fw after some serious talking with dahua guys, the firmware will be ready to test i will post the news here.

View attachment 195886
Out of curiosity, did animal detection used to exist in older fw versions? Or is this the first time it has been added?

alekk

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good news @EMPIRETECANDY that the "official" firmware is now available - looks like you just made it available today, but the FW is dated May 16th - right?

BTW, per the release notes, there are about a dozen new features/fixes ... I'd post the PDF, but not sure that's "OK" ... so maybe worth doing?

So who wants to go first and install it?!? ;-)

Update: Ooops ... @EMPIRETECANDY listed the changes earlier:
Add animal detection to IVS.
Supports long distance mode in IVS when AcuPick is not enabled.
Supports self-learning in IVS
Draw polylines for People Counting rule lines.
Add the prompt for rule drawing: Please draw a direction line across the rule area.
Add parameters to abnormal number of people and stay alarms for Area People Counting.
Supports Auto, Manual and Off modes for Face Snapshot Enhancement. When manual mode is
selected, NR level, sharpening level, brightness level and redness level can be conffgured.
Snapshot Angle Filters supports Up and Down, Left and Right. The small question mark next to
the parameter can be clicked to view the diagram.
Add face image search to Report
Displays the algorithm version.
Supports ABR when AI Coding is selected.
Supports authentication for HTTP upload mode in Auto Upload.
Add the Send Command option in Event Linkage and One-click Disarm.
Fixed the issue that update failed when cloud update was performed to the IPC through the NVR.

Last edited:

H. Swanson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Good news @EMPIRETECANDY that the "official" firmware is now available - looks like you just made it available today, but the FW is dated May 16th - right?

BTW, per the release notes, there are about a dozen new features/fixes ... I'd post the PDF, but not sure that's "OK" ... so maybe worth doing?

I've already installed the fw on my S3 cams and my AI NVR. Works great.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

We already tested and invited some guys here to test, feedback is good, so that is why release today, lol, the NVR have a huge update, so need sometime to learn, later i will update the guide video.

H. Swanson

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NVR5xx-EI also support the animal searching, working bit good.
Andy - I have the latest fw on my AI NVR but I don't know how you get to "animal detection" within the NVR. I have it enabled on my S3 cams but I'm curious how you got to that Animal Detection screen in the NVR.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, May.16th is the latest new one, we made some update on it this week, but still keep the fw date as the original one.