Review- EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 4mp Varifocal Turret

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Many use just tripwires. I use 2 trip wire rules simply to allow me to draw more wires. You also need to consider direction with trip wires as they're directional.

The function of CPAI is fitration not detection. The cameras software one of the trips, motion etc options or BI motion (one or the other) depending on which system you decide to use does the detection. CPAI just filters the detected objects to prevent false alarms / classify them. If you're happy without AI, then don't use it. The function is simply to stop false alarms as motion will be set off by any motion within the parameters and trips will be set off by anything that crosses. That can mean when eg you're looking soleIy for humans or a certain type of animal, a whole host of animals, wind moverment etc can trigger false alarms. Some cameras have built in AI which can do the filtering effectively.
Yes, I'm finding that I much prefer the camera AI over CPAI now that I can target animals as well.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Build in AI sure much better than 3rd party one, sometimes the build in AI not very smart, the S3 one looks like doing bit better than the S2 version.
No mistakes so far. S3 AI is working exceptionally well! This new firmware version has been rock solid, thanks Andy!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I'm finding that I much prefer the camera AI over CPAI now that I can target animals as well.
I have advocated for years here to use the camera AI over CPAI unless one really needs the orange rectangles around the object and to identify bear versus dog LOL.

But for most, the ability to trigger and alert for simply a person or vehicle is sufficient.

And now that they added the animal checkbox, that adds a whole lot more people into the mix that may be able to scale back their use of CPAI.

Like you, I have found the new firmware with animals to be spot on.

Adding animals back is a great addition to many folks here.

MTL4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When I get the chance, I will mount this on my mailbox and see how LPR works out.

Day Settings:
Brightness 42
Contrast 50
Saturation 50
Sharpness 28
Gama 50
CBR 10240
Shutter 0-4ms
Gain 0-30
Exposure comp 50

Night Settings:
Shutter 0-8ms
Gain 0-50
Exposure comp 50

Be sure to select 1440p for video playback.
Are these still the best settings for this camera? Just trying to get everything installed and setup well initially.

EvanVanVan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey, just want to confirm this camera replaced the T5442T-ZE?

Great news about animal detection coming back! I was only in the market for like 4 more cameras...now I might be in the market for like 13 cameras! (to replace all my T5442TM-AS - 6mm's)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Great news about animal detection coming back! I was only in the market for like 4 more cameras...now I might be in the market for like 13 cameras! (to replace all my T5442TM-AS - 6mm's)
That is correct.

MTL4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Those are fine to start with. Each FOV requires it's own settings.
Start with above, then fine tune as needed.
Wittaj Camera tuning Tips.
So if I understand right the basic idea here is to just use the camera's onboard AI instead of anything in Blue Iris such as CPAI or BI motion capture? When I setup the cameras in BI on the Trigger Tab do I only select the ONVIF input and nothing else (no motion or CPAI)? I feel like these are newb questions so not sure if there are BI camera tab screenshots somewhere for how the BI should be setup to use this.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

The S3 IPC-T54IR-AS (IPC-T5442TM-AS S3) also support the animal detection.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So if I understand right the basic idea here is to just use the camera's onboard AI instead of anything in Blue Iris such as CPAI or BI motion capture? When I setup the cameras in BI on the Trigger Tab do I only select the ONVIF input and nothing else (no motion or CPAI)? I feel like these are newb questions so not sure if there are BI camera tab screenshots somewhere for how the BI should be setup to use this.
Yes. I explain how to do it in this post:

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

I replaced all 11 of mine, completely worth it! @EMPIRETECANDY will take care of you like he did me.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What did you do with the 11 you replaced?
I put some of them up for sale here in the classified forum. I have 4 left. In my posting #1, #3, #4 and #6 are available.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Has anyone used the animal detection with a NVR yet instead of BI? If so, how did it work? Thanks!

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We had several marters last night. Neither 5442 picked them up, the 5231 did.
Turned sensitivity to 10 instead of 6 and now it seems a lot better. No marters yet since, but it seems to be able to pick up cats better than 5231.
Has anyone used the animal detection with a NVR yet instead of BI? If so, how did it work? Thanks!
I use my camera's with a NVR4116HS-4KS2 and it triggers just like any other IVS.