Review- EmpireTech IPC-T54IR-ZE-S3 4mp Varifocal Turret

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, I will get the firmware tonight and invite some guys to test, and later make a smart IR FW to it and release it.

Here are the update list.

Add animal detection to IVS.
Supports long distance mode in IVS when AcuPick is not enabled.
Supports self-learning in IVS
Draw polylines for People Counting rule lines.
Add the prompt for rule drawing: Please draw a direction line across the rule area.
Add parameters to abnormal number of people and stay alarms for Area People Counting.
Supports Auto, Manual and Off modes for Face Snapshot Enhancement. When manual mode is
selected, NR level, sharpening level, brightness level and redness level can be conffgured.
Snapshot Angle Filters supports Up and Down, Left and Right. The small question mark next to
the parameter can be clicked to view the diagram.
Add face image search to Report
Displays the algorithm version.
Supports ABR when AI Coding is selected.
Supports authentication for HTTP upload mode in Auto Upload.
Add the Send Command option in Event Linkage and One-click Disarm.
Fixed the issue that update failed when cloud update was performed to the IPC through the NVR.

Rog1

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok if you are using BI, then quit screwing around trying to set the camera up on a Mac. It is a known secret that these cameras are designed around Windows and Internet Explorer browser. Use your BI computer.

The issue you have now with BI is that the camera has the password you gave it, yet it doesn't.

You may think the password is correct but it isn't LOL.

So it didn't find the camera properly.

These devices keep users and ONVIF users as separate and if the password doesn't match in the ONVIF manager list (which happens frequently when people start changing passwords or use the ConfigTool), then the cameras cannot be "seen". Or sometimes the firmware just goes wonky.

Log into the Camera GUI and under users you will see a tab called ONVIF User or ONVIF Manager or something like that.

Select it and then change the admin password for the ONVIF user to match your new password.

Or simply create a new user and password in ONVIF user and use that in BI and hit the find/inspect again.
Already learned that the hard way :)

Have Windows servers in datacenter, connected by fiber. No Windows desktops, which is why I was attempting to configure with a Mac. Finally succeeded by loading Pale Moon on Mac, and using it to set IP address and then configure the device (to the limited extent I understand how). I now have Pale Moon on one of the servers and can access it via remote desktop. It's on the same server that supports BI. Have ConfigTool there, too.

This all started because I had camera working in BI but no PTZ except zoom. Whole reason for buying this camera was the motorized control, but it's not working. I did a hard factory reset, which then caused me 7 hours of pain. I'm very grateful for the assistance I received here, without which I would have just sent the camera back to Amazon.

Any advice about how to make PTZ work? The gimbal doesn't move at all. There are no PTZ controls showing in the device GUI, but ONVIF reports that PTZ is provided. I have no idea how to send ONVIF PTZ commands. What I want is to use BI PTZ... Suggestions most welcome!

Rog

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Already learned that the hard way :)

Have Windows servers in datacenter, connected by fiber. No Windows desktops, which is why I was attempting to configure with a Mac. Finally succeeded by loading Pale Moon on Mac, and using it to set IP address and then configure the device (to the limited extent I understand how). I now have Pale Moon on one of the servers and can access it via remote desktop. It's on the same server that supports BI. Have ConfigTool there, too.

This all started because I had camera working in BI but no PTZ except zoom. Whole reason for buying this camera was the motorized control, but it's not working. I did a hard factory reset, which then caused me 7 hours of pain. I'm very grateful for the assistance I received here, without which I would have just sent the camera back to Amazon.

Any advice about how to make PTZ work? The gimbal doesn't move at all. There are no PTZ controls showing in the device GUI, but ONVIF reports that PTZ is provided. I have no idea how to send ONVIF PTZ commands. What I want is to use BI PTZ... Suggestions most welcome!

Rog

The camera is working correctly.

This camera is not a PTZ. Only the zoom is done remotely with a computer. The pan and tilt is done manually when you install it by pointing it to where you want it to see.

A varifocal is zoom only remotely. A PTZ is what allows you to pan and zoom around.

Iemand91

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey guys

The 5 series S3 version, we will add the animal detection back with smart IR fw after some serious talking with dahua guys, the firmware will be ready to test i will post the news here.
YES!!!

If that would work with all sort of animals (like cats, dogs, marters etc.) that would be great. We have stone martens here and I like knowing when they're around.
We have several camera's around the house (2 5442 ZE S3, 1 2431T-AS S2 and my first ever Dahua 5231 ZE) and the only camera that can pick them up is the old 5231.
(without resorting back to the inferior standard motion detection)

I still have the 5231 right below a new 5442 ZE S3 for the simple fact it captures animals and the 5442 doesn't.
Would love to remove the old 5231. Unfortunately the 2431 will probably never get the 'animal update'; that camera is outside our chicken coop with ~2 week old chicks which the martens probably only see as 'food'...

Better yet; this button should have worked/work in the first place:

Rog1

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is working correctly.

This camera is not a PTZ. Only the zoom is done remotely with a computer. The pan and tilt is done manually when you install it by pointing it to where you want it to see.

A varifocal is zoom only remotely. A PTZ is what allows you to pan and zoom around.
Thank you. Got it. I couldn't move the gimbal manually until I undid the screw holding the back plate. After that, everything made sense. And the zoom works just fine.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Supports ABR when AI Coding is selected. This is a new thing, so i asked for some further explainaton .

ABR is a bitrate strategy that saves bitrate in simple scenes and improves image quality in complex scenes. Ultimately, the storage space is guaranteed not to exceed the value set for the average bitrate within 24 hours in a single cycle.

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I loaded the new firmware on four s3 version 5442 cams and no issues updating. I turned off motion and CPAI in BI, and just let the camera's IVS rules work. At first, it triggered too easily on some squirrels, so I had to set the minimum size option to something larger than a squirrel. That worked. Then last night they triggered on an opossum, and then a deer wandered in and also triggered as I hoped, so for me a winner!

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@rdxny With minimum size configured, do spiders upclose to cam trigger with this new firmware?

rdxny

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rdxny With minimum size configured, do spiders upclose to cam trigger with this new firmware?
good question, since I'm not running cpai on these cams. I did not have any false triggers, but it's only one night. Others who run only IVS can chime in. Whether adding animals also adds to the likelihood of spiders, etc, we shall see.