Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@hmjgriffon what did your blue iris configuration for this finally look like? I can't get the PTZ to work with the path /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true
NM. I disabled ONVIF auth, rebooted it, readded it to blue iris by inspecting IP address and user/pass and removed the &port=onvif from the path it defaulted to and it works now

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello gentleman. 2 week lurker. 1st post.

After reading the forum for two weeks straight, researching for most of my waking hours at work and at home, reading the entire 2175 posts in Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) thread, I took the plunge.

Have a 5208-8P-4KS2 on the way, a WD Purple 4 TB, along with an
HDBW5231R-Z for a (interior, I know) pole barn security cam.

Today, I ordered a SD59225U-HNI today along with the 4 mounting pieces for a corner install:
(1x) -- PFA151
(1x) -- PFA110
(1x) -- PFB300S
(1x) -- PFA120
to mount on the barn under the soffit. I plan on using the SD59225U-HNI for his exterior. Here is the layout i had in mind>

Many thanks to all the gurus I've learned from here. @nayr, @fenderman, @hmjgriffon, etc. I've been in IT for 25 years. The type of support @nayr and others provide cost $150-$300/hour where I come from. I cannot extend my gratitude enough to you guys. Andy has been great as well. I've been buying from China for the last 10 years. We started purchasing inexpensive LiPo batteries for our RC toys many moons ago from Hobby King. What a benefit it is to find a vendor with Andy's communication (skills & frequency) and pricing.

I am grateful for the members and info on this forum. I was this close to buying a bundled Lorex system from Costco. I'm glad I didn't. My wallet will end up being a lot lighter, but who doesn't appreciate the quality of these camera at their price point.

SD

Attachments

Last edited:

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would anybody be willing to do me a favor? I'm seriously looking at this PTZ or the recessed one but can't decide if having built in IR vs external will be worth it. I'm curious about a few things, and wondering if somebody might be able to post some samples showing:

1) Video and tracking quality with IR at night at <200'. I will be tracking cars and people at night on the street and would love to see the quality and ability of this camera.

2) Looking at the DORI chart, it looks like I can get a positive ID up to 528' with it zoomed to 25x. How about when it's in overview mode and zoomed all the way out? How far away could you ID somebody? Looking at the IPVM calculator it doesn't look very promising, so I'm hoping I punched something in wrong.

3) Picture of the PTZ hanging from your house. It's hard to get a scale for size. I realize this is a different PTZ, but is it really THIS big in relation to a house?!? The WAF may be very low if so....
4) I'm going to keep it in overview mode, and set it up to track anybody coming up the driveway or sidewalk that sets off an IVS tripwire 24/7. Otherwise it'll be going crazy trying to track cars/people on the street during the day. However, I do want it to track from 11pm-6am using an IVS intrusion rule for the street. I'm pretty sure this is doable, right?

5) Mounting - This will be going on a corner under the soffit with all wires going straight into the attic. Do I need all 4 of these accessories: PFA110 Adapter, PFB300S Wall Mount, PFA120 Junction Box, and PFA151 Corner Mount?

Thanks a ton in advance. I realize it's a lot to swallow, but I'd rather ask now than be surprised later :eek:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are you soffit mounting? This camera has the same specs but recesses in to your soffit. A 6" discrete dome.

Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

I believe it's cheaper as well.

Keep in mind it's not IP rated so some care in protecting it will be needed. Also, domes are not the best outside, but it would hide really well under the soffit.

SD

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you soffit mounting? This camera has the same specs but recesses in to your soffit. A 6" discrete dome.

Dahua Starlight Recessed Dome PTZ (SD52C225U-HNI)

I believe it's cheaper as well.

Keep in mind it's not IP rated so some care in protecting it will be needed. Also, domes are not the best outside, but it would hide really well under the soffit.

SD
Yep, it's either between this or the recessed PTZ nayr has. I want to see some autotracking and night footage at 150' away before I make a determination though. If I go recessed I'll of course need to add some external IR, but I'm not sure that's as good as having a more focused IR based on the focal length that this PTZ provides.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Autotracking is not that cool; if your buying the camera based off autotracking capabilities.. well, your being daft.

I doubt you'll find much luck tracking vehicles unless they are approaching or leaving as that will slow them down to something it can identify and track for long enough.. if its a cross road then you should forget about it.

n0xlf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Saw a few people posting about the PFA110 and PFB300S. The cameras, at least at they come from Andy, include these accessories...The PFB300S is what we were talking about being welded slightly off.

Dropnbassonu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Autotracking is not that cool; if your buying the camera based off autotracking capabilities.. well, your being daft.

I doubt you'll find much luck tracking vehicles unless they are approaching or leaving as that will slow them down to something it can identify and track for long enough.. if its a cross road then you should forget about it.
Here's what I'll hopefully be working with when on overview. This picture has been cropped to reflect the angle of view based on IPVM.

It's at a slight angle with cars going ~15mph on the street. I'm more interested in tracking people walking at night though, since our thief has been on foot all but once. I've got my 5231 turret at 1/60s and can ID cars at that shutter. Anything less is too slow, but if it can't track a 15mph car at a slight angle then yeah it's almost useless for that application.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that might work, hard to say.. I would expect it to be better w/people than vehicles, you have plenty of view for object detection to go off

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
How well would this model do if it zoomed in to a mailbox that is about 250 feet down the driveway? But set to track when there a person walking or driving up the driveway to the house.

A friend that live out in the rural may be interested in getting one because his mail being stolen and one time someone pour white flour in it. He suspect it the local troublemaker teens doing it for fun.

cornholio

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has any one had any luck tracking people? Mine seems to follow their feet. There is often delay in it deciding to start tracking. It tracks vehicles pretty well. It's sort of obvious why its tracking the feet and I don't yet know what I can do to track the people properly. This is with a tripwire setting.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Has any one had any luck tracking people? Mine seems to follow their feet. There is often delay in it deciding to start tracking. It tracks vehicles pretty well. It's sort of obvious why its tracking the feet and I don't yet know what I can do to track the people properly. This is with a tripwire setting.
did you play with the min - max size setting?