Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Unless I have misunderstood the PTZ has alarm inputs which can be used to directly connect the sensor to it?
I should have added that too, as you are correct. The SD59225U-HNI has two external alarm inputs, and any trigger can be hooked up to those as well.

As a PTZ, my PIR locations to trigger presets were closer to the NVR so it was a shorter run connecting them there. I have not used the camera's external alarm inputs, but now it's something I want to try.....

SD59225H-UNI Alarm Connections.jpg

SD

Last edited:

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should have added that too, as you are correct. The SD59225U-HNI has two external alarm inputs as well, and any trigger can be hooked up to those as well.

As a PTZ, my PIR locations to trigger presets were closer to the NVR so it was a shorter run connecting them there. I have not used the camera's external alarm inputs, but now it's something I want to try.....

View attachment 16267

SD
That'll be so much easier for me!!!!

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless I have misunderstood the PTZ has alarm inputs which can be used to directly connect the sensor to it?

Yep. Your situation is quite different. I didn't want mine too high for ID purposes and there was only one real corner on the house where it could go where it would see everything I was after. It isn't discreet but doesn't need to be.
yeah, that is only a tentative mounting location, I may climb up there and decide hell no, or put it up there and decide I don't like it, very likely, the only suck thing is mounting it any lower will put it within at least jumping reach of a person, so I may have to balance risk of vandalism with view of the camera lol.

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When auto tracking is used does the system just know how much to zoom in and out automatically or does that have to be set?

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
When auto tracking is used does the system just know how much to zoom in and out automatically or does that have to be set?
It chooses on its own, I'm not sure if the min and Max size target settings have any effect on that, have not experimented.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it seems to zoom to get the object entirely within frame.. so dont expect it to zoom in on someone's face

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So after scouring this forum for a couple of weeks now, i think i have a pretty good idea of the gear that i want, but i need you guys review before i buy it :)

Back of the house / garden:
I've bought the SD59225U-HNI to cover all of my backyard which is 55ft (16 meter) wide by 34ft (10 meter) deep. I have a Big Green Egg and a garden shed with power tools i want to 'protect'. I also have an extension added to my house. Since i have a window at that side of my house where my extension is added, and the extension is about 10 feet (3 meters) high, and adjacent to a public path, it is perfect for burglars to climb up and have a possible entry in my house.

The original idea i had was to mount the PTZ underneath my rain gutter, so that it could also 'cover' my extension's flat roof. But that would mean i had to mount it at about 18 feet (5.5 meters) high, which is (a) not ideal for ID-ing potential burglars who enter my yard by climbing over the fence or coming through my backyard gate and (b) would mean that my neighbours can complain about the highly visible camera. On the other hand, it would also scare burglars because they see the large PTZ hanging.

So now i am thinking of mounting the PTZ at 10 feet high, next to the soffit of my extension, but with the camera slightly hanging below the soffit. This would mean i could ID everybody in my garden without any problems, but this would mean i would lose the possibility to monitor my extension. So to over that i want to move the current Foscam camera so it watches over the flat roof of the extension, just so that something is hanging there.

Question:
What do you guys think of this setup? Or do you guys think that mounting the PTZ underneath the rain gutter would be a better option? From camera mounting point of view towards the backyard gate (horizontally) it is about 26 feet so the angle from the gate, looking upwards towards the camera would be about 32 degrees.

Next to that i want to buy 2 additional camera's:
Front door (under soffit) to see who approaches my front door - IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - with 3.6mm lens
Garden shed (inside) to protect my power tools - IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - with 3.6mm lens
The original location of the Foscam (shown elsewhere on this forum) and the new Foscam location are then up for mounting a "IPC-HDW5231R-Z" as overview cam, but i won't be doing that anytime soon; this is just a 'possibility'.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Might not be within your budget but I would potentially replace the foscam completely with one of the cheaper starlight cameras for the night vision
You can grab the eco savvy versions with fixed lens quite cheap from Andy.

Also there is a camera that @alastairstevenson has been trying/testing that has a imx290 and ambarella chip which is more or less the same as the economy savvy starlight also has the same sensor size.
It's a manual varifocal and is selling for around £40- £50 shipped.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So after scouring this forum for a couple of weeks now, i think i have a pretty good idea of the gear that i want, but i need you guys review before i buy it :)

Question:
What do you guys think of this setup? Or do you guys think that mounting the PTZ underneath the rain gutter would be a better option? From camera mounting point of view towards the backyard gate (horizontally) it is about 26 feet so the angle from the gate, looking upwards towards the camera would be about 32 degrees.

Next to that i want to buy 2 additional camera's:
Front door (under soffit) to see who approaches my front door - IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - with 3.6mm lens
Garden shed (inside) to protect my power tools - IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - with 3.6mm lens
The original location of the Foscam (shown elsewhere on this forum) and the new Foscam location are then up for mounting a "IPC-HDW5231R-Z" as overview cam, but i won't be doing that anytime soon; this is just a 'possibility'.
Your situation matches mine for most part.
My back garden is 16.5m wide and 6 meter deep.

I intend to mount 2 x ptz on the corners of the building, so each has to cover only like 9 meter wide.
Besides that i bought some optex perimiter sensors which i want to install close to the fence edge, so as soon the climb over it, it will alert. This will be 3 sections o. The rear fence, and both side fences.
The ptz can be triggered by those perimiter sensors and than turn to where the alert occurs.

Since i will corner mount the ptz they can do both the back and one of the sides.

i will install a vari focal starlight turret than under the gutter to overwatch the flat roof of the carport and garage at the one or two point that would give them acces (garbage bins, or the outside unit of the heatpump)
Also these varifocal start
Light turrets under carport overwatching the path to the front door.

Gilles0181

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@j4co can you send me some illustrations / google maps pics (via conversation) so we can exchange thoughts?

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is this model worth the extra money over the 4922?
That is always going to be subjective and in the end only you can decide if it is worth the extra. Look at the differences between the two if you haven't already and figure out if you can take advantage of the auto tracking and intelligent features the SD59225U-HNI offers.

As I plan on using sensors to trigger multiple presets and tie that in with auto tracking, in my opinion it was worth it. Also meant that didn't have the regret later on wishing I had went all out from the get go!

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I doubt it would be worth the extra expense for me. Have no idea about presets and auto tracking.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is this model worth the extra money over the 4922?
Loaded question. SD49 is part of the Lite Series. SD59 is a Pro Series camera and is $160 additional. It's larger and 2.6kg heavier. If auto-tracking, IR distance, additional sub-stream settings and additional audio compression are important to your solution, yes. Optics are the same.

SD

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I was originally set on 2 Starlight Bullets. I then thought of getting the SD49 being it was pretty much same price as the 2 bullets. Andy doesn't have the 49 and asked about the SD59. Wife wanted to kill me over the 2 bullets. So trying to weigh further harm from wife over the price difference.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If cost is an issue, and spousal harm may occur, then no. He's posted he is scheduled to get the 10X - SD49's on March 20th, 3 days away. $350 vs $510.

I'd rather have the latest technology, but that's me. I have the simplest taste. I'm always satisfied with the best.....;)

SD

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm using it to watch my basset hounds and a little extra security for the house.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Question:

Can you setup:
3x preset

And than for every preset IVS rules ?

Example:
Preset 1, has IVS and auto tracking setup, but via a sensor it is going to preset 2 and can you than there also IVS rules, or auto tracking again ?