Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there was no foam inside; but there are moisture absorbers inside taped up that have been known to come loose in shipping and ends up rubbing on belts/lenses and making unessicary noise.

All PTZ's make noise, the only ones Ive encountered that were relatively silent had such slow motors a geriatric grandma pushing a walker down the sidewalk would outrun em.

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Andy told me that there is Foam inside
There was foam inside the box it was shipped in but as far as there being any inside the camera, doubt it. If there was it should be mentioned in the little yellow manual.

I agree ALL ptz's make a noise but not sure if the noise coming from mine is normal.
During the day i'm hard pressed to hear the thing move over the ambient noise of cars and trees. In the pitch dark of night, yes you can hear it fairly audibly from outside and since it's mounted to the brick the noise does make it inside but as it's near the garage and the living areas are further away again it cannot be heard.

If there is something going on which requires I move the PTZ I change it's speed so it moves slower, works quite well.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, the faster this thing moves the louder it is, you could drop the speed setting

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

TheSuperServer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have the SD59230U-HNI and the SD49225T-HN the 59230 is definitely louder than the 49225. But as cryptelli said you can't really hear it during the day. I however I can hear it in the house during the day and night but that's only if I'm playing with the PTZ. When it auto tracks I don't hear it because it's not moving a far or fast. The 49225 is pretty much silent. I don't hear it at all. Inside or out day or night. You have to be right at it to hear it and even then it's pretty quiet.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Luckily my wife has a loud fan blasting all night so even though I'll be mounting right outside the bedroom I highly doubt you'll be able to hear it inside the bedroom.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yobigd20

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just tell her to wear foam ear plugs to bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually like that my ptz camera can be heard outside. It wakes people up to the fact that they're on camera. The only weird thing is that they think I'm in there watching them live and moving the camera and 99% of the time I'm not. This guy gave me a chuckle one day.

Other than that, I've mentioned to be aware of inside noise from a ptz somewhere around here. After playing with my camera for a few weeks I turned the auto tracking off and made presets and use them at times but mostly I use my ptz to change positions and stay put there, when needed. Or, to track something manually when needed. Mostly though, the ptz stays put where I aim it throughout the day. Position change and extreme zoom- all I really use it for but that's a ton of coverage.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I actually like that my ptz camera can be heard outside. It wakes people up to the fact that they're on camera. The only weird thing is that they think I'm in there watching them live and moving the camera and 99% of the time I'm not. This guy gave me a chuckle one day.

Other than that, I've mentioned to be aware of inside noise from a ptz somewhere around here. After playing with my camera for a few weeks I turned the auto tracking off and made presets and use them at times but mostly I use my ptz to change positions and stay put there, when needed. Or, to track something manually when needed. Mostly though, the ptz stays put where I aim it throughout the day. Position change and extreme zoom- all I really use it for but that's a ton of coverage.
+1 on wanting them to think someone is inside watching them. Best deterrent ever.

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Right click on the cam in the SmartPSS organization list and see if your stream selection is "main stream".
Maybe your camers is not sending out substreams and the SmartPSS window setting is looking for one.
You might also try a reset on power to the cam.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
do you have the substream enabled on the camera? double click on the Filed to Open Video quadrant and it should try to load the main stream up.

RH-Atl

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have you tried deleting or removing the cam from the PSS list and then rescan to find, and load again?

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Should I increase the shutter speed to tighten up clarity on moving subjects? It is currently set on auto which I assume floats around the 1/30 speed. IMG_0915.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

micoinde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
switching it to black and white will help a ton
Thanks although I wanted to stay color to get a general clothing description, going to B/W may be necessary.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks although I wanted to stay color to get a general clothing description, going to B/W may be necessary.

then get two cams, you're never going to get a bad ass image at night in color mode, even with an ultra starlight, if you want ID AND color, you'll have to have two cams, aint no way around it. setting shutter speed manually on a surveillance cam is a bad idea in my opinion, conditions change way too much and it needs to be able to adapt, otherwise it only looks good in the situation it was in when you configured it.. I try to run everything auto unless I have some serious need.