Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward someone dropped that camera. Not you, but they come a long way and anything is possible.

Mine is absolutely perfect at night, freaking amazing light gathering capability, clarity, focus and nuclear reactor efficiency. :)

I'll post a screen capture at night, but it's an iPhone pic of the LCD screen. It's focused through two panes of glass at an acute angle inside the garage, so the pic does it no justice, but you can see the light gathering and clarity 330' away in color mode (No IR). In person, I get a semi.... :love: It's that good.

Again, its an iPhone picture of the screen, so take it for what it's worth.

SD

IMG_5256.JPG IMG_5252.JPG

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward someone dropped that camera. Not you, but they come a long way and anything is possible.
Anything is possible, though I thought it was packaged quite well, must have been a mighty shunt if it is damaged.

Mine is absolutely perfect at night, freaking amazing light gathering capability, clarity, focus and nuclear reactor efficiency. :)
Hard to see from the phone photo as you said but what's the video quality like when it's focused on one spot, do you get the little pixelated bites I mentioned? I can smooth them out but I think if it had more light it wouldn't be so noisy?

If running in B&W which is where it spends the entire night, it's absolutely perfect.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Anything is possible, though I thought it was packaged quite well, must have been a mighty shunt if it is damaged.

Hard to see from the phone photo as you said but what's the video quality like when it's focused on one spot, do you get the little pixelated bites I mentioned? I can smooth them out but I think if it had more light it wouldn't be so noisy?

If running in B&W which is where it spends the entire night, it's absolutely perfect.
Definitely more at night, but not that I couldn't ID someone. I do see the noise a little more.

Don't know if this helps but here are some day shots zoomed in. It's all I have, and again through the double paned glass window. These are screen grabs from iDmssLite.

SD

View attachment 16994 View attachment 16995

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Definitely more at night, but not that I couldn't ID someone. I do see the noise a little more.
Cool, thanks for confirming that. There has to be a tradeoff somewhere, take any of the noise adjustments too low and get a bad case of static, just goes to show you how great the camera performs under night lighting conditions in full colour.

I did test mine the other night on some innocent bystanders in colour mode and can concur with your statement nothing stopped me from getting a good ID on them.

Don't know if this helps but here are some day shots zoomed in. It's all I have, and again through the double paned glass window. These are screen grabs from iDmssLite.
Perfect, even with the glass in the way. B&W at night and Colour during the day is just flawless.

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is my footage during night time with full colour and most settings on default:

Anyone care to comment? Is this the best footage i can get with this camera under these light conditions?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you insist on keeping it in color yeah; Cameras are vastly more sensitive to photons when in black and white mode because they dont have to measure color, just intensity.. To measure color they run it through Red/Green/Blue filters and you essentially get 1/3rd the performance of B&W in a best case scenario because its actually filtering out photons.

Last edited:

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
if you insist on keeping it in color yeah; Cameras are vastly more sensitive to photons when in black and white mode because they dont have to measure color, just intensity.. To measure color they run it through Red/Green/Blue filters and you essentially get 1/3rd the performance of B&W in a best case scenario because its actually filtering out photons.
I understand that, but at B&W it's almost impossible to recognize people and cars (and that is what i'm using it for mostly). In B&W my footage isn't all that much better anyway.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
changing from 30 to 60fps wont do dick, and no firmware will let you achieve >25-30FPS if you have any backlight options enabled.

15-20FPS is more than enough for security use.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
B&W seams to be worse being honest and Iv'e always had all my camera's in colour on a night as the street lighting is excellent in my area as you can see from the video's.

The camera really sucks at night which defeats the whole reason I purchased it unless I got a lemon which is certainly looking that way as I am also having other major problems with it also as my previous posts above.
From your clips I think the issues are mostly related to settings on the camera and operator error. To me it mostly seems like you need more light (IR) and a less noise reduction. A crisper black and white image is more useful than a noisy blurry color image that doesn't have enough light. If they every swap your hps streetlights for led your color performance will improve a lot.
Why not set it to 60FPS? Doesn't that affect the overall image quality in a positive way? Why 25-30FPS?
I think I need to update the firmware to support 60FPS. I would like to try this camera in Dahua's own software SmartPSS but the camera won't work in Live View no matter what version I try.

And as a statement fro Dahua Wiki :
Color: always represents picture in color, does not use IR or black and white mode. Performs poorly in dimly lit areas unless you are using the Starlight series cameras
You're making the camera run in color in low light conditions with a "shutter speed"** that's probably equivalent to 1/30th of a second or less and you think increasing your frame rate will somehow help? :lmao:

The frame rate controls how smooth motion appears, not whether each frame has enough light or is blurry. I have a hard time understanding why you're trying so hard to remake the movie tron. For security purposes of objects moving at normal speeds, a high frame rate just wastes storage space. If you're trying to use your camera to record a basketball game you'll want a high frame rate, but for security applications there's generally no benefit.

**In reality in a security camera there isn't a mechanical shutter that's opening and closing like you'd have on something like a super 8 film camera

As to the dahu wiki, better than poorly isn't necessarily good. If you really need it there are models with laser based IR but $$$$.

Last edited:

cryptelli

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on where I point the camera it selects Daytime automatically so not forcing it to do anything, but I prefer colour mode as i find it to get the better pictures and descriptions of cars and clothing colours.
If setup a separate day and night profile and set the times you wish to switch and then set "Schedule" in "Profile Management" you can run the camera in B&W all night long regardless on what you point it at. I'm only running on of my turrets cameras in colour mode due to having a very lit back patio area, rest don't have enough light to qualify for that luxury. I'm the complete opposite regarding using colour mode over B&W on the PTZ, while it can display a picture and enough to ID someone it's nothing like the picture B&W produces.

Just a take a look at some of the camera captures @bababouy has, all done in B&W.

I would like to try this camera in Dahua's own software SmartPSS but the camera won't work in Live View no matter what version I try.
That's strange. I use SmartPSS 2.00.1 on Windows 10 to control my PTZ all the time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
whats the point of seeing what color shoes they have on if your shutter speeds are so low that everything goes blurry and you cant get an ID..

Ive got one color camera so I can get color details; and its a general purpose overview camera (Ultra Starlight).. All ID cameras use B&W, and my 25x Intelligent Starlight PTZ looks fantastic, even with moving targets.. yeah the stuff thats standing still and planted into the ground looks great in color mode; but thats not whats stealing from you.. It looks great in Color mode, until someone walks by and I compare a snapshot to one captured in B&W.. then there's no comparison, B&W has tons better detail even w/out color.

If your playing with exposure and color settings and not going out and doing a walk test and comparing before/after snapshots, then your likely just making things worse, despite appearances.

Last edited:

ChooChooman74

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, looking for a little help. I would like preset 1 to be my idle position. When on any other preset, it will stay on that preset. It only goes to preset 1 if not on any other preset. Suggestions? Bug in the firmware?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Frank van der Heide

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
whats the point of seeing what color shoes they have on if your shutter speeds are so low that everything goes blurry and you cant get an ID..

Ive got one color camera so I can get color details; and its a general purpose overview camera (Ultra Starlight).. All ID cameras use B&W, and my 25x Intelligent Starlight PTZ looks fantastic, even with moving targets.. B&W has tons better detail even w/out color.
@nayr, do you have a sample video from your B&W footage that you can share? I experienced not such good results as you describe with B&W and moving targets. I only get bright shiny eyes and extremely overexposed license plates when people or cars pass by. Also it takes a long time for the camera to focus in B&W, so that the moving object is already out of sight before the focus is right. I will post a video later tonight when i can get some B&W IR footage.

beingaware

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Depending on where I point the camera it selects Daytime automatically so not forcing it to do anything, but I prefer colour mode as i find it to get the better pictures and descriptions of cars and clothing colours.

I have always had all my previous camera's set to colour Huisun & Hikvision without any problems. Please show me where i said increasing the framerate would fix my problem I think Frank van der Heide mentioned that not me.

I'm not asking for much nor am i making a movie....lol I just want to capture a face when someone walks past my front late at night and I would like to zoom in the further away they get in case they are upto no good.

If you can help me either via PM or teamviewer then that would be appreciated maybe you can sort the SmartPSS problem I'm having also.

hmjgriffon was so kind to look last night ( Via Team Viewer ) but puzzled him of my problem also.

CONCLUSION:

If It's user error (Myself) which I don't think it is as Iv'e gone through every setting multiple times and done multiple camera resets, or these camera's are Shite at night with "good" lighting with a Captital S with any moving object.

Static Objects as in houses and parked cars look OK until you move the camera then you get the video effect I'm having a few posts back.

OR

I have a Lemon .....simples.

I understand framerates and shutter speeds and exposure values as I am a keen photographer myself.

PS A slow shutter speed can still capture sharp images :) A few of my my Pics but not taken with the Dahua starlight lmao.

Oulton Park Fuji XT-1

This has been echoed a few times now.

Turn down your WDR/2DR/3DR, set your frame rate to 15-20 ish.
Adjust the bit rate you are recording/sending at, try 2mbps up to 8mbps and see which handles motion best.

Try using 264, less compression means less motion blur.

And ADD MORE LIGHT IF YOU INSIST ON RUNNING COLOUR AT NIGHT, I'm talking 2KW OF LIGHTING if you want night footage to be "perfect" in colour.

Owen Street doesn't appear to have much street lighting so you really will need to add your own.

Or just set your night profile to B&W and crank the IR up a bit.

Geeez, try doing what was suggested first rather then refusing to do troubleshooting and complaining that the "camera is broken or hikv this and that" eh.

DSLR Still Photography is completely different to Videography and Videography is completely different to CCTV.

Last edited:

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ok, looking for a little help. I would like preset 1 to be my idle position. When on any other preset, it will stay on that preset. It only goes to preset 1 if not on any other preset. Suggestions? Bug in the firmware?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
It's a time schedule in the WebUI of the camera. You can set the idle time when it returns to whatever preset you like. I'm not in front but have it working for this setup:

Two PIR's at the corners of the pole barn connected to the alarm inputs on the NVR. If they trip, the camera swings to the preset that faces the corner that detected motion. After there is no motion for 30 seconds, it times out and returns to the Driveway preset and tracks motion in an intrusion box.

It's there, just don't have it in front of me.

SD

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Finally started the install for the pole barn last night. 6 hours of pulling cable, cutting fascia, lag bolting, waterproofing, terminating and then administering. Nothing I'd rather be doing though...

Here are a couple install pics. Finish up tonight installing the 5231 dome inside, and the PIR's on the outside.

SD

IMG_5279.JPG IMG_5280.JPG IMG_5285.JPG IMG_5287.JPG IMG_5290.JPG