Review-I'll be the guinea pig for the new SD59225U-HNI PTZ.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you mean the set screws that attach to the arm? if anything loctite would be more than enough.. the mount needs some big lag bolts that its a good idea to pre-drill so you dont crack siding/lumber.

If it was on a mast then loctite everything or use locking nuts, stainless steel might even be a good investment, if not use galvanized/zinc coated at a minimum.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Take your time, do it right, and be safe. Happy new year.
If you have any questions more about things related to the install or running the cable don't hesitate to ask.

Now for a question from me... Do you guys use teflon tape or pipe dope on the threaded fittings for a camera like this?
If want to use something, pipe dope beats teflon tape every day. Especially during the actual install. I will probably use some pipe dope.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What post / mast do you plan on using to install?
I've debated (OCD'd) about this for two weeks. I've decided it's going on the roof with an antenna tripod such as this:
Skywalker Signature Series 2ft Heavy Duty Tripod (SKY6045) from Solid Signal. A model that will accept a 2" OD mast.

Once I receive the camera pole mount bracket, I can then decide what size mast I will need. If standard antenna mast won't fit the bill, I'll resort to galvanized pipe of some sort. EMT/Fence post/Galvanized Water pipe, etc.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LDR Waterpipe, if you go much more than 6-8ft I suspect you'll want to also install guy wires with such a mount.. mebe less.. this thing weighs more than an aluminum yagi antenna.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
LDR Waterpipe, if you go much more than 6-8ft I suspect you'll want to also install guy wires with such a mount.. mebe less.. this thing weighs more than an aluminum yagi antenna.
It will only go as high as it needs to be to optically clear the tripod. ;)
See red arrow for location.

20170101_141814_HDR.jpg

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
how are the IRs at night? they state up to 100 meters.. Really?
Still no success with ONVIF? This must be tested and working.
I have Hikvision NVR and even the crappy foscam PTZ works great with it using ONVIF.
Also if you are a little into Linux OS, I would recommend setup Zoneminder and try to connect your new PTZ via ONVIF.
Would be great to have a youtube testvideo as if all the specs are correct this could be a great PTZ.
Zoneminder sucks if you plan to use more than a few cameras. I take that back, it just sucks.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Back in my wireless install days, we got away with 10ft masts, anything more then that required guys. Old ass trango gear.. was 8-10 pounds for the repeaters i think.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
that sounds about right, but if your wanting a stable image at high zoom they probably will be needed with this kinda mount with any tangible height im thinking.. lil vibration when you have 100mm optics is huge vibration heh.. video cameras are a lil less forgiving than radio antenna, thats why I suggest LDR as its about as rigid as you'll find over the counter.

belmont

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
sucks if you can not afford to invest a proper server and separte LAN for that, or you cant configure it properly. Only reason I vote for a NVR as they have alarm connectors, otherwise the software NVR (zoneminder) do a perfect job with many even 4megapixels cams too.

Zoneminder sucks if you plan to use more than a few cameras. I take that back, it just sucks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I may end up with 6 or 7 of the Starlight varifocals when it's all said and done besides this PTZ.
So, what's the pro's and cons of using the Power supply that came with the PTZ vs Poe+ switch for the PTZ?

Probably be a 50' or so run of cable.
I'm guessing that using the Poe+ switch may be more power efficient? Yeah, I'm nit picking I'm sure.

I know I"m over thinking this! Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
PoE+ is cleaner and easier to setup, its also one less power supply running off a battery backup.. but on some models AC power can deliver stronger IR, usually indicates that in the spec sheet with different wattage ratings for IR on if on PoE vs AC

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you wanted to run a powered microphone and/or some 12v sensors hooked up to your camera then you might run it off 24VAC and then put a PoE splitter on the ethernet line to power your devices without needing some horribly expensive Poe+ to 12v splitter.

you already have the 24vac power supply, so its just pulling 2 cables up at once.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Looks like it doesn't care:
Electrical

Power Supply

AC24V/3A(±10%), PoE+(802.3at)

Power Consumption

13W,23W (IR on)

PoE+ is cleaner and easier to setup, its also one less power supply running off a battery backup.. but on some models AC power can deliver stronger IR, usually indicates that in the spec sheet with different wattage ratings for IR on if on PoE vs AC

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do see that the input for audio on this cam can be set for Input or Mic. So I'm getting ready to test a powered mic, unpowered to see how it fairs.
Thanks for your assistance, much appreciated.

Dodutils

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Specs say F1.6 ~ F4.4 so I guess 120mm full zoom at night may not produce as good quality picture, give us a sample if you can ! and daylight too :)

Last edited:

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is such a nice camera, I am planning on buying one myself. Thanks for starting this thread and sharing.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Had this cheapo powered mic already, that I used with my outgoing cheapo analog DVR. It worked ok with the DVR other then a slight AC hum. Which distorted voices slightly.
Hooked to the PTZ, unpowered and cam input set to mic and gain 100%, nothing other than hiss.

Powered, and input set to Linein, it works, but same AC hum, but a tad more pronounced. So, I'll be placing an order for this one.
Edit: Sorry wrong link first time.
Correct link: Bullet Mic Review

Current mic
20170102_154500.jpg

Last edited:

afrmthabay

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi I got the same PTZ and the instructions came saying we had to take the bck cover off to set up the baud settings and some other stuff but mine does not have anything but a reset button did you have anything like that

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi I got the same PTZ and the instructions came saying we had to take the bck cover off to set up the baud settings and some other stuff but mine does not have anything but a reset button did you have anything like that
Baud rate sounds like RS-485 which according to the specs this camera doesn't have.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The instructions the come with it are horrible. They are generic for all their PTZ's. Baud rate doesn't apply to an IP camera. They only reason to take the back cover off is to install an SD memory card if you wish.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
and good luck finding that SD card heh.. ProTip: find and install the SD card now and not later while its hanging from a house/pole.. it's a game of where's waldo and most of the circuitry inside has to be taken out.

on my black face ptz I remember emailing WrightWood and bitching it had no SD slot, only to find it with a bit more disassembly.. was not easy access like I had expected.