Review-IP Villa Outdoor Doorbell Station & Indoor Monitor Kit

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My benchtop evaluation setup has the same problem with constant "Network abnormal monitor failure!" errors. Always happens from Digital VTH when attempting Monitor -> Door -> Main VTO -> "Play". Rebooting does not fix this error.

Workaround: Calling the VTO from the Digital VTH by using Call -> Contact -> VTO -> "Call" works most of the time. I managed to get the network error which had required a reboot to fix. Could be finger problems but I question stability of this solution.
This is user error. You need to tell the unit your password in the sip settings. This is discussed earlier.

jmcu

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you able to answer a call outside of the network?
I rang the VTO and the push to phone said it couldn't answer because not on wifi ?

If no one answers the VTO ring it says you can leave a message, is this stored on SD card? And where to play back?

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reaction score
That's the same youtube video that persuaded me to go the VTO route. Previously, thought the only answer was a DB11 or such. Hard wired doorbell camera, multiple in-house VTH displays (handy in 2 story house and in woodworking shop), interfaces with smart phone akin to Ring, interfaces with Home Assistant, not too shabby of video (day or night) for a doorbell camera (it's not 5442 series but hay...), works with Blue Iris, no monthly subscription/cloud requirements, did not cost more than my monthly health insurance.
I received my 2 new VTH's. Still gots to configure and install and help with testing. On my ASAP to-do list.

spiro

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi I tried all links posted on the first page but couldn't find separate just kits
Can someone direct me to the link for the outdoor unit and indoor monitor only? I do not need the switch. I would wanna buy 3 cameras and 3 monitors. Thank you

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's the same youtube video that persuaded me to go the VTO route. [snip]. Still gots to configure and install and help with testing.
That video appears to use the publicly available images, one of which is different from the image that Andy ships from BEC Technology Co. VTH is shipped with version 4.400.00000000.7.R instead of *.4.R. I can understand the temptation to install the same images as shown in the video. Thanks for the brick warning.

I managed to get Monitor VTO and Call VTO functions to work by allowing the default network to access the internet and DNS during installation. A couple of things make the whole process slow and difficult to reproduce. First, the VTH user interface has a bug where the virtual keyboard accidentally registers presses for any buttons hidden by the keyboard instead of the virtual key displayed on the screen. Second, password fields don't have an unmask option. These two things together are absolutely brutal when configuring passwords.

One-key-configuration apparently requires DNS and Internet access. The cloud based "password recovery" implementation is suspicious but I have not been successful using an entirely private network topology.

UPDATE: Access to the internet or DNS is not required. My eventual path to success was to factory reset the VTO and VTH then use VTH Quick configuration and VTH One-key Config. Simple. Good enough to deploy and then work on other wish-list items like chime integration and VoIP integration. It looks like this device delivers as advertised.

Last edited:

thesleepy_slee

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

When you power the outside unit with 12V DC, how do you connect the inside screen?
Is it the inside screen which has to power the outside unit?

If I connect the outside unit with 12V DC, can I use 2 inside screens?

thanks

Reaction score
That video appears to use the publicly available images, one of which is different from the image that Andy ships from BEC Technology Co. VTH is shipped with version 4.400.00000000.7.R instead of *.4.R. I can understand the temptation to install the same images as shown in the video. Thanks for the brick warning.

I managed to get Monitor VTO and Call VTO functions to work by allowing the default network to access the internet and DNS during installation. A couple of things make the whole process slow and difficult to reproduce. First, the VTH user interface has a bug where the virtual keyboard accidentally registers presses for any buttons hidden by the keyboard instead of the virtual key displayed on the screen. Second, password fields don't have an unmask option. These two things together are absolutely brutal when configuring passwords.

One-key-configuration apparently requires DNS and Internet access. The cloud based "password recovery" implementation is suspicious but I have not been successful using an entirely private network topology.

UPDATE: Access to the internet or DNS is not required. My eventual path to success was to factory reset the VTO and VTH then use VTH Quick configuration and VTH One-key Config. Simple. Good enough to deploy and then work on other wish-list items like chime integration and VoIP integration. It looks like this device delivers as advertised.
what does your substream 1080p look like as compared to the main stream?

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what does your substream 1080p look like as compared to the main stream?
No VMS integration yet so dunno. I'll be happy just to spot packages left at the door and see who is knock knock knocking when I'm upstairs in my home office.

Do you think it's worth hooking up the fish-eye lens to a VMS or is the distortion just too mind numbing.

newfoundlandplucky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a couple of items on my wish list [snip] the IR light on the outdoor unit does not come on until you press the door bell button.
The IR light on the outdoor unit comes on when monitoring from the VTH (after a few seconds) and turns off upon disconnect. May be useful feature for BI integration.

Reaction score
Ok... testing inside the house. I have the VTO and new VTH #1 (I did buy #2 as well but first want to ensure I set these things up right) setup up to work. I hit call button on VTO, rings VTH #1 and I answer, video & 2 way talk works. Good image. I am testing on my main network (ewww) for time being. Soon to migrate over to a more locked down network where my Blue Iris & other Dahua camera's reside on their own VLAN. From the VTH, I can call the VTO and successful video.
Kinda weird. Example: when I goto "MONITOR" on the VTH #1, the play button icon is above "Main VTO" square, I hit the play button, this is where I get "network abnormal, monitor failure!". But yet, calling between VTO/VTH works. Odd.
Also, some words are truncated or not converted to English very well. Somewhere on the VTH setup/configuration, I hit wrong button and it came back "faild" which I assume means "failed" :)

Reaction score
Whew. Fun times at giving me headache. Gots both my VTH#1 and VTH#2 setup correctly with GARAGE and BDRM1 names (you can only have 6 characters, I believe) instead of being called 9001#0 and 9002#0. Also, changed registration from PUBLIC to LOCAL (I believe that will help with security).
Both still can not monitor the VTO but can call.
Gots to try the mobile app soon.

Reaction score
Have the mobile app up and running. Not too fond of using Dahua's cloud server. May look into my own local SIP server and doing VPN, possibly...but that's down the road.
When on a WiFi local network at home, super fast video & excellent 2 way audio response.... just what I wanted in a doorbell intercom system. Granted, not hooked up any doorbell yet or interface with Home Assistant :)
Off network when not using a local WiFi (I will have to test another WiFi tomorrow when at work using their WiFi) and using Google VPN cellular internet, still fast response of notification and excellent audio, however the video stutters between fast & up to 10 second delay. Unsure if that is to be expected over cellular internet or if I have to tinker with settings.
All in all, really happy. I am a bachelor (last eligible bachelor in Nevada!) with no wife nor kids in the house to answer front door. This will help me when doing my online gaming while wearing headset or when in my wood shop with loud machinery going off. I'll be interfacing with Home Assistant to blink lights for additional visual notifications.
@looney2ns what would you like assistance with for testing purposes?